Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Marlon

Opening gap. How to play them?

I have read alot about trading the opening gap. I have also noticed that they tend to close the same day majority of the time. To learn this strategy, what will I need to look for? Should I fade at the open? What is the percentages of success? I do not normally trade the first 15 minutes but will be interested in applying a new tactic.

I have read alot about trading the opening gap. I have also noticed that they tend to close the same day majority of the time. To learn this strategy, what will I need to look for? Should I fade at the open? What is the percentages of success? I do not normally trade the first 15 minutes but will be interested in applying a new tactic.

Have you done a search in this forum? There are plenty of good threads, charts, and videos on the opening gap. Go to Search and type in "Gap" or "Opening Gap".

Why don't you backtest it and obtain the data yourself? The best way is to study it, test it, and devise your own trading methods.

what traders do is trading in the direction of the gap, there is allso a saying that a gap allways closes and that seems to be right, but it can take a lot of time before it does, not neccesary on the same day, some gaps take months before closing. the market might also go up hundreds of pips before eventually turn back and close the gap, trading like that will produce a huge drawdown and a lot of stop outs.

Why not visit the MastertheGap website and read everything on there? There's also an old, forgotten blog by the same name with plenty of useful information on it, including statistical information on frequency of same day closure for different types of gap.

In other words, you can get plenty of value from the website with handing over any money.

Hope that's some help in getting started.

BlueHorseshoe