Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TinGull

Inverted Hammer

NihabaAshi,

I have some problems to understand your last annotation about the YM start time. On the CBOT site I see the trading hours for the YM last from 6:15 pm to 4:00 pm. I cannot find anything, who changes at 8:20 am. So, please give me some hints, why the start time should be at 8:20 am

With eSiganl, I have the possibility to create another time frame with your recommended start time. (Look annotated chart)

Thanks for your explications

Hi Habi,

I'm not sure if I understand your question because your obviously using CBOT time for YM and not CME time for YM due to the fact your chart shows YM regular session chart with an open @ 0820am est and a close of that same first 15min interval @ 0835am est.

Also, the CBOT website does not show the actual start time of YM (open auction).

Instead, it shows that "Electronic" hours as 6:15pm - 4:00pm cst (chicago time).

In contrast, the CBOT does show the atual open auction time of its other DJIA futures product to be 7:20am - 3:15pm (chicago time)...

Convert that to my est and its 8:20pm - 4:15pm est.

Thus, like my data vendors, our charts do not show a Shooting Star nor a Inverted Hammer pattern as seen on TinGull chart.

Thus, I'll explain it a different way.

I'm talking about the regular trading session charts...not globex (all session) charts that has all the overnight data.

Some data vendors has there regular trading charts set for YM to start at 0930am est so that it correlates with the rth time of the EMD, ER2, ES and NQ on the CME.

Any data vendor that shows YM regular trading chart to start at 0930am has altered YM so that it correlates with EMD, ER2, ES and NQ.

My point is that YM regular trading chart starts at 0820am est and if your regular session chart shows that...

Your ok.

Another way to look at it, your first 15min chart interval for the day in YM via the regular session chart should show that first 15min interval to have open at 0820am and closed at 0835am est.

Thus, if your YM 15min regular session chart shows the first 15min interval to have open at 0930am and closed at 0945am est...

Your using a data vendor that has alter its YM info so that it correlates with the regular session start times of the other Eminis.

A few years back, there were some data vendors that didn't even include the trades between 4pm - 4:15pm est for the Index Futures so that it correlates with their stock chart information.

I saw a few such charts (can't remember the names of the data vendors other that their costs was extremely cheap) over at another discussion forum I post at.

All I'm saying is this, when doing Japanese Candlestick analysis, just be aware that your using getting all the data and not data that has been clipped off the front or end because such data will alter your Candlestick patterns when you begin increasing your chart intervals.

Thus, if your analyzing 1min chart intervals at exactly 10am est...it doesn't matter if your using a data vendor that shows YM to start at 0820am, 9am or 0930am est.

However, things change quickly as soon as you go to the 3min chart for Japanese Candlestick analysis.

Hi NihabaAshi,

Thanks for your detailed answer. :)

Till now, I used the same start time as (it seems to me) most traders here with the regular trading sesson. With the eSignal adv. Chart-Tool I have the possibility to create different time templates. So, with my annotated chart I would show you that it is possible with eSignal, to create a chart with a start time 8:20am. I already used different time frames, but no one, that started at 8:20am. If you say, that the professionals use this start time, the I have to make some changes in my charts.

I already asked several people, how they look on a 60 min chart. Start time 0930am, 1030am .. or 0930am, 0010am, 0011am? Now, I have a new version like 0820am, 0920am and so on. Most sad, that an hourly chart ends at the full hour. It seems, that you have another opinion?

I'm a little confused now, because as you allready mentioned, a change in the time template makes also changes for the candlestick formations.:rolleyes:

Regarding times...if one is to be a purest, then sure, you can use those times. I would ask, though...what is the rest of the world watching? I would bet that taking a poll of a thousand traders who trade the YM, their charts aren't set to start at 8:20am EST. So, if they arent watching those charts, then what are they most likely watching? I know lots of people I speak with watch charts that start at 9:30am for the regular session.

I would rather watch what everyone else watches, but that's just me. So my charts are set for 9:30-4:15 for the YM.

Yes, I agree. If the rest of the world is watching the charts with start time 0930am, then I would do the same. But if the professional traders looks to other charts, I prefer to have the same view. So the main question is, who uses which charts?

Guest cooter
NihabaAshi, YM rth are defined on the CBOT website as being from the start of equities trading to the close of ECBOT electronic trading i.e. 0930-1700 EST.

Really? Post your link that conclusively backs up your statement, notouch.

I just checked and I was probably wrong about that - it looks like rth are the open auction open to the electronic close:

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/cont_detail/0,3206,931+33905,00.html

I think it would be silly to base your charts on that given the correlation between the ES and YM and given the fact that the underlying stocks dont start trading until 0930 EST. Every man and his dog in the US equities market and their derivatives is looking at the 0930 open so it makes no sense to be pedantic and look at the 0820 CBOT pit open (which doesn't get much volume anyway).

Guest cooter

That being cleared up now, I'd have to say that I do agree that YM (or DD or DJ, for that matter) really should be based on the RTH for the NYSE + 15 min extra (9:30-4:15 est), since the other CME index futures follow that timeframe.

You're probably best off using a custom session for your YM charts to make your candlesticks conform accordingly.

Hi NihabaAshi,

Thanks for your detailed answer. :)

Till now, I used the same start time as (it seems to me) most traders here with the regular trading sesson. With the eSignal adv. Chart-Tool I have the possibility to create different time templates. So, with my annotated chart I would show you that it is possible with eSignal, to create a chart with a start time 8:20am. I already used different time frames, but no one, that started at 8:20am. If you say, that the professionals use this start time, the I have to make some changes in my charts.

I already asked several people, how they look on a 60 min chart. Start time 0930am, 1030am .. or 0930am, 0010am, 0011am? Now, I have a new version like 0820am, 0920am and so on. Most sad, that an hourly chart ends at the full hour. It seems, that you have another opinion?

I'm a little confused now, because as you allready mentioned, a change in the time template makes also changes for the candlestick formations.:rolleyes:

Yep, that also means that YM with a 0820am est regular chart time has a last interval of the trading day not equal in time duration for particular intervals such as the 15min chart interal even though the last interval will end at 4:15pm est.

For example, the last chart interval for the 3min chart really only has 1min worth of transactions.

However, the time template has no problem with the 1min, 5min chart as examples in that all intervals are equal in time duration.

Also, your chart example proved me wrong in that eSignal now has the option of showing the 0820am est data whereas in the past it did not.

Yet, there are still many other low tier data providers still using the 0930am est regular session start time for YM.

By the way, this discussion is not aimed at veteran traders because they tend to understand the price action. Thus, they aren't too caught up with what type of Bearish or Bullish pattern it is.

They just want to know if its Bullish or Bearish via their understanding of the markets and don't get too boggy down about what type of chart pattern just occurred.

Regarding times...if one is to be a purest, then sure, you can use those times. I would ask, though...what is the rest of the world watching? I would bet that taking a poll of a thousand traders who trade the YM, their charts aren't set to start at 8:20am EST. So, if they arent watching those charts, then what are they most likely watching? I know lots of people I speak with watch charts that start at 9:30am for the regular session.

I would rather watch what everyone else watches, but that's just me. So my charts are set for 9:30-4:15 for the YM.

Hi TinGull,

Most retail traders I know (mainly online trading pals) are using YM with a regular trading session start time of 0930am est whereas in comparison the professional firm traders are using 0820am est.

However, understanding the price action prior to the appearance of any pattern signal makes this discussion unimportant.

Once again, this discussion is not aimed at veteran traders because they tend to understand the price action.

This discussion is aimed at newbie traders applying Japanese Candlestick analysis because they tend to put more emphasis on the candlestick pattern (it defines the price action) instead of understanding the price action.

As for me, I've been using the 0820am est start time for YM regular session chart and will continue to do so especially since its caused me no problems in my intermarket analysis with other key markets.

Just keep in mind that most of the traders I personally know are pro traders whereas those I know online tend to be retail traders.

Simply, the guys I have beers with or hang out with in person are using the 0820am YM regular session chart and that obviously has impact on my bias.

Thus, if a 0930am YM regular hour start time works fine for you...keep using it. :D

Further, I completely agree with what cooter said in that YM on the CBOT should have the same start time as the CME Eminis to keep everything uniform.

Why its not that way is very odd.

To notouch, most retail traders are using the 0930am regular session chart except for most professional traders.

Therefore, not every man and his dog are watching the 0930am as a start time.

However, your absolutely correct in that there's not much action between 0820am - 0930am est except for when there's a 0830am est key economic report(s).

That's when the 0820am est price action becomes very useful along with setting up possible support/resistance zones for trades that occurs after 0930am est.

Therefore, its info that's important on some trading days.

Last of all, anybody check out the regular session start time of EuroFX on the CME...it's 0820am est.

Go figure. :mad:

NihabaAshi, I don't think YM gets a huge amount of professional interest, apart from arbitrage programs. Apart from the arbs it's mainly small and medium sized retail traders that trade YM. Just compare the lot sizes on the YM tape (more than 100 is unusually large) to the ES tape (not unusual to see 1000 lots going through). Most professionals are trading the stocks, the GLOBEX futures or the CME pit so it makes sense, if one believes that following the professionals is important, to use the rth for equities and CME i.e. 0930 to 1600 or 1615. Of course noting the overnight action is important but interesting overnight action often begins much earlier than 0820.

Also this whole debate will soon be academic because YM is transferring to GLOBEX early next year so you may as well start getting used to it now. ;)

NihabaAshi, I don't think YM gets a huge amount of professional interest, apart from arbitrage programs. Apart from the arbs it's mainly small and medium sized retail traders that trade YM. Just compare the lot sizes on the YM tape (more than 100 is unusually large) to the ES tape (not unusual to see 1000 lots going through). Most professionals are trading the stocks, the GLOBEX futures or the CME pit so it makes sense, if one believes that following the professionals is important, to use the rth for equities and CME i.e. 0930 to 1600 or 1615. Of course noting the overnight action is important but interesting overnight action often begins much earlier than 0820.

Also this whole debate will soon be academic because YM is transferring to GLOBEX early next year so you may as well start getting used to it now. ;)

The issue here is Japanese Candlestick analysis for those that plan on using it.

You have a choice to use an alter picture or not.

Further, the fact that the high end data vendors do not alter that picture while the low end data vendors tend (not all of them but most of them) do alter that picture should concern anyone doing Japanese Candlestick analysis on YM.

I just can't imagine calling up my data provider and tell them to include an option to alter YM because most of my retail trading pals are using the CME session time for YM instead of the CBOT session time for YM. :D

Simply, I use what my data provider gives me and what they give me is not an alter image.

Further, as you noted, next year all data vendors will be on the same page when YM transfers and this will no longer be an issue for new traders.

Yet, for definition discussions, just don't be surprised that some traders have different candlestick patterns for YM in comparison to others.

Therefore, the issue isn't really (as I noted before) if its a Doji, Shooting Star or Inverted Hammer on that 15min YM chart.

The issue is do we understand the price action to see that it was bearish.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• also ... and barely on topic... Winners (always*) overpay. Buying the dips is a subscription to the belief that winners win by underpaying - when in actuality winners (inevitably/always*) win by overpaying... it’s amazing the percentage of traders who think winners win by underpaying ... “Winners (always*) overpay.” ...  One way to implement this ‘belief’ is to only reenter when prices have emphatically resumed the 'trend' .   (Fwiw, While “Winners (always*) overpay.” holds true in most endeavors (relationships, business, sports, etc...) - “Winners (always*) overpay.”  is especially true for auctions... continuous auctions included.)
    • re:  "Does it make sense to always buy the dips?  “Buy the dip.”  You hear this all the time in crypto investing trading speculation gambling. [zdo taking some liberties] It refers, of course, to buying more bitcoin (or digital assets) when they go down in price: when the price “dips.” Some people brag about “buying the dip," showing they know better than the crowd. Others “buy the dip” as an investment strategy: they’re getting a bargain. The problem is, buying the dip is a fallacy. You can’t buy the dip, because you can't see the total dip until much later. First, I’ll explain this in a way that will make it simple and obvious to you; then I’ll show you a better way of investing. You Only Know the Dip in Hindsight When people talk about “buying the dip,” what they’re really saying is, “I bought when the price was going down.” " ... example of a dip ... 
    • Date: 19th April 2024. Weekly Commodity Market Update: Oil Prices Correct and Supply Concerns Persist.   The ongoing developments in the Middle East sparked a wave of risk aversion and fueled supply concerns and investors headed for safety. Hopes for imminent rate cuts from the Federal Reserve diminish while attention is now turning towards the demand outlook. The Gold price hit a high of $2417.89 per ounce overnight. Sentiment has already calmed down again and bullion is trading at $2376.50 per ounce as haven flows ease. Oil prices initially moved higher as concern over escalating tensions with the WTI contract hit a session high of $85.508 per barrel overnight, before correcting to currently $81.45 per barrel. Oil Prices Under Pressure Amid Middle East Tensions Last week, commodity indexes showed little movement, with Oil prices undergoing a slight correction. Meanwhile, Gold reached yet another record high, mirroring the upward trend in cocoa prices. Once again today, USOil prices experienced a correction and has remained under pressure, retesting the 50-day EMA at $81.00 as we moving into the weekend. Hence, despite the Israel’s retaliatory strike on Iran, sentiments stabilized following reports suggesting a measured response aimed at avoiding further escalation. Brent crude futures witnessed a more than 4% leap, driven by concerns over potential disruptions to oil supplies in the Middle East, only to subsequently erase all gains. Similarly with USOIL, UKOIL hovers just below $87 per barrel, marginally below Thursday’s closing figures. Nevertheless, volatility is expected to continue in the market as several potential risks loom:   Disruption to the Strait of Hormuz: The possibility of Iran disrupting navigation through the vital shipping lane, is still in play. The Strait of Hormuz serves as the Persian Gulf’s primary route to international waters, with approximately 21 million barrels of oil passing through daily. Recent events, including Iran’s seizure of an Israel-linked container ship, underscore the geopolitical sensitivity of the region. Tougher Sanctions on Iran: Analysts speculate that the US may impose stricter sanctions on Iranian oil exports or intensify enforcement of existing restrictions. With global oil consumption reaching 102 million barrels per day, Iran’s production of 3.3 million barrels remains significant. Recent actions targeting Venezuelan oil highlight the potential for increased pressure on Iranian exports. OPEC Output Increases: Despite the desire for higher prices, OPEC members such as Saudi Arabia and Russia have constrained output in recent years. However, sustained crude prices above $100 per barrel could prompt concerns about demand and incentivize increased production. The OPEC may opt to boost oil output should tensions escalate further and prices surge. Ukraine Conflict: Amidst the focus on the Middle East, markets overlooking Russia’s actions in Ukraine. Potential retaliatory strikes by Kyiv on Russian oil infrastructure could impact exports, adding further complexity to global oil markets.   Technical Analysis USOIL is marking one of the steepest weekly declines witnessed this year after a brief period of consolidation. The breach below the pivotal support level of 84.00, coupled with the descent below the mid of the 4-month upchannel, signals a possible shift in market sentiment towards a bearish trend reversal. Adding to the bearish outlook are indications such as the downward slope in the RSI. However, the asset still hold above the 50-day EMA which coincides also with the mid of last year’s downleg, with key support zone at $80.00-$81.00. If it breaks this support zone, the focus may shift towards the 200-day EMA and 38.2% Fib. level at $77.60-$79.00. Conversely, a rejection of the $81 level and an upside potential could see the price returning back to $84.00. A break of the latter could trigger the attention back to the December’s resistance, situated around $86.60. A breakthrough above this level could ignite a stronger rally towards the $89.20-$90.00 zone. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past perfrmance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 18th April 2024. Market News – Stock markets benefit from Dollar correction. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Technical buying, bargain hunting, and risk aversion helped Treasuries rally and unwind recent losses. Yields dropped from the recent 2024 highs. Asian stock markets strengthened, as the US Dollar corrected in the wake of comments from Japan’s currency chief Masato Kanda, who said G7 countries continue to stress that excessive swings and disorderly moves in the foreign exchange market were harmful for economies. US Stockpiles expanded to 10-month high. The data overshadowed the impact of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East as traders await Israel’s response to Iran’s unprecedented recent attack. President Joe Biden called for higher tariffs on imports of Chinese steel and aluminum.   Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex stumbled, falling to 105.66 at the end of the day from the intraday high of 106.48. It lost ground against most of its G10 peers. There wasn’t much on the calendar to provide new direction. USDJPY lows retesting the 154 bottom! NOT an intervention yet. BoJ/MoF USDJPY intervention happens when there is more than 100+ pip move in seconds, not 50 pips. USOIL slumped by 3% near $82, as US crude inventories rose by 2.7 million barrels last week, hitting the highest level since last June, while gauges of fuel demand declined. Gold strengthened as the dollar weakened and bullion is trading at $2378.44 per ounce. Market Trends:   Wall Street closed in the red after opening with small corrective gains. The NASDAQ underperformed, slumping -1.15%, with the S&P500 -0.58% lower, while the Dow lost -0.12. The Nikkei closed 0.2% higher, the Hang Seng gained more than 1. European and US futures are finding buyers. A gauge of global chip stocks and AI bellwether Nvidia Corp. have both fallen into a technical correction. The TMSC reported its first profit rise in a year, after strong AI demand revived growth at the world’s biggest contract chipmaker. The main chipmaker to Apple Inc. and Nvidia Corp. recorded a 9% rise in net income, beating estimates. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 17th April 2024. Market News – Appetite for risk-taking remains weak. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks, Treasury yields and US Dollar stay firmed. Fed Chair Powell added to the recent sell off. His slightly more hawkish tone further priced out chances for any imminent action and the timing of a cut was pushed out further. He suggested if higher inflation does persist, the Fed will hold rates steady “for as long as needed.” Implied Fed Fund: There remains no real chance for a move on May 1 and at their intraday highs the June implied funds rate future showed only 5 bps, while July reflected only 10 bps. And a full 25 bps was not priced in until November, with 38 bps in cuts seen for 2024. US & EU Economies Diverging: Lagarde says ECB is moving toward rate cuts – if there are no major shocks. UK March CPI inflation falls less than expected. Output price inflation has started to nudge higher, despite another decline in input prices. Together with yesterday’s higher than expected wage numbers, the data will add to the arguments of the hawks at the BoE, which remain very reluctant to contemplate rate cuts. Canada CPI rose 0.6% in March, double the 0.3% February increase BUT core eased. The doors are still open for a possible cut at the next BoC meeting on June 5. IMF revised up its global growth forecast for 2024 with inflation easing, in its new World Economic Outlook. This is consistent with a global soft landing, according to the report. Financial Markets Performance:   USDJPY also inched up to 154.67 on expectations the BoJ will remain accommodative and as the market challenges a perceived 155 red line for MoF intervention. USOIL prices slipped -0.15% to $84.20 per barrel. Gold rose 0.24% to $2389.11 per ounce, a new record closing high as geopolitical risks overshadowed the impacts of rising rates and the stronger dollar. Market Trends:   Wall Street waffled either side of unchanged on the day amid dimming rate cut potential, rising yields, and earnings. The major indexes closed mixed with the Dow up 0.17%, while the S&P500 and NASDAQ lost -0.21% and -0.12%, respectively. Asian stock markets mostly corrected again, with Japanese bourses underperforming and the Nikkei down -1.3%. Mainland China bourses were a notable exception and the CSI 300 rallied 1.4%, but the MSCI Asia Pacific index came close to erasing the gains for this year. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.vvvvvvv

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.