Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

The Bear

Does Weed Smoking Decrease Performance

Hey doc,

do you think weed smoking outside of market hours is no good for my speculation activities?

I take long breaks (weeks at a time) and I never do it during open hours :p

Hey doc,

do you think weed smoking outside of market hours is no good for my speculation activities?

This topic I assume is very understudied to do the drugs illicit status but here's a nifty abstract

From the Archives of General Psychiatry

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/58/10/909

Conclusion Some cognitive deficits appear detectable at least 7 days after heavy cannabis use but appear reversible and related to recent cannabis exposure rather than irreversible and related to cumulative lifetime use.

Guest cooter

Is it true that in some parts of T.Dot you can still walk around with a spliff openly nowadays?

Or are they cracking down on B.C. Bud these days again?

My ex girlfriend was on the committee to make marijuana legal in Colorado. To be quite honest, I don't remember when she WASN'T high. She always tried to tell me how it didn't affect her and that there were no consequences to her actions. I think thats what made me stay away from it the entire 8 months.

But seeing as how it makes you so relaxed, it might be nice sometimes after a stressful day :)

Bear,

How are you doing with your trading? What does your equity curve for the year to date look like?

Thanks

Doctor Janice

Here's something strange, but I can't say that it's for sure related to the weed smoking. This month i'm in a net profit position and I feel very alert in the morning (most days). I stopped smoking 1 week prior to the end of June, and i'm able to trade in the mornings.

Last month the dealer would only sell me 4g. and not 1g. like I wanted (I don't smoke heavily obviously) so I was FORCED to smoke it all (because I don't like wasting any) and it took me a good part of the month. Last month I was in a net loss position. Because of the repeated smoking at night, I would have trouble getting up in the morning to stare at my monitors, and I would literally start falling asleep and I would go back to bed for a bit and wake up again around noon, to watch the lunchtime doldrums and start trading again. I don't know what depression is like because I don't think i've ever had it, but I will tell you that during these smoking binges, I feel very groggy and have a general nasty feeling in my head during the day when I haven't smoked. It quickly goes away once I re-inject the weed.

The bullet to the temple was back in the winter when those ass wipes at the NYMEX started opening the oil & gas trading at 9am instead of 10am. This pissed me off because I liked the extra sleep. I like staying up late. I think it comes from my youth when I was a DJ, clubber, and raver.

My trading this year is doing pretty good...not amazing..but decent. I don't know what equity curve means.

I'll read that article paul. Cooter, people in Toronto smoke in the public all the time. I'm pretty certain that if cops catch you, they usually just seize the substance and let you go with no ticket (it's happened to people I know), as long as you don't have pounds or ounces on you. I wouldn't doubt that they go and smoke it themselves..and eat tim hortons donuts after.

It probably depends on the cop and what mood he's in....if he want's to exercise his power and control...I honestly think they are after the sellers not the people with small personal amounts.

(DELETED SECTION JUST CAUSE IT'S NOT POLITE FOR A LADY TO READ :) ) -MrPaul

Here's something strange, but I can't say that it's for sure related to the weed smoking. This month i'm in a net profit position and I feel very alert in the morning (most days). I stopped smoking 1 week prior to the end of June, and i'm able to trade in the mornings.

Last month the dealer would only sell me 4g. and not 1g. like I wanted (I don't smoke heavily obviously) so I was FORCED to smoke it all (because I don't like wasting any) and it took me a good part of the month. Last month I was in a net loss position. Because of the repeated smoking at night, I would have trouble getting up in the morning to stare at my monitors, and I would literally start falling asleep and I would go back to bed for a bit and wake up again around noon, to watch the lunchtime doldrums and start trading again. I don't know what depression is like because I don't think i've ever had it, but I will tell you that during these smoking binges, I feel very groggy and have a general nasty feeling in my head during the day when I haven't smoked. It quickly goes away once I re-inject the weed.

The bullet to the temple was back in the winter when those ass wipes at the NYMEX started opening the oil & gas trading at 9am instead of 10am. This pissed me off because I liked the extra sleep. I like staying up late. I think it comes from my youth when I was a DJ, clubber, and raver.

My trading this year is doing pretty good...not amazing..but decent. I don't know what equity curve means.

I'll read that article paul. Cooter, people in Toronto smoke in the public all the time. I'm pretty certain that if cops catch you, they usually just seize the substance and let you go with no ticket (it's happened to people I know), as long as you don't have pounds or ounces on you. I wouldn't doubt that they go and smoke it themselves..and eat tim hortons donuts after.

It probably depends on the cop and what mood he's in....if he want's to exercise his power and control...I honestly think they are after the sellers not the people with small personal amounts.

Bear,

Don't hold back tell us the details and how you really feel...lmao :p

Guest cooter
Apparently it reduces sexual performance. I'm a 22 year old guy. I need marijuana like a hole in the head. These are rooting years yeee haa.

Tell that to some Jamaicans I know...:p

LOL

My personal opinion on this has nothing to do with what I think about whether marijuana should be legalized or not, nor does it have to do with the long or short terms of smoking weed. It has to do with staying strong and clear in body and mind.I can only give you the benefit of my own personal experiences and of many hundreds of traders which whom I have associated over the years. Health is the most important factor in our lives. When we lose our health, we lose everything. Moderation in all things is a very good way to live and to think. Unfortunately, many cannot be moderate. They go to excesses in one way or the other. This can be particuarly true in professions such as trading where the stress level can get quite high. I think about Nick Leeson and many other stories where traders got so full of themselves that they took to excessive drinking, gambling, street drugs, etc.

For a while, this will probably be OK, especially when a person is in their late teens or 20's. However, if continued, it will wear down the body through deterioration of the immune system. The mind will become less strong and health will suffer ( both mental, physical and spiritual). Trading success is a marathon, not a sprint. It is our job as traders to take personal responsibility for our capital- financial, mental, emotional, physical and spiritual. I would never condemn anyone for his or her choices, because I don't want anyone to condem me. I have written a lot about my story and what happened to my health in 1990. I can tell you, it was a nightmare and it is a miracle that I survived.

The answer to the question about weed is that you must make your own choices in life. If you want to live long and prosper so as to appreciate the hard-earned fruits of your labor, then it is your responsibility to take care of yourself and keep yourself in peak condition.

If any of you is having challenges with addictions, including eating or drugs, or would like to know about the work I do with wellness and longevity, please do not hesitate to write to me and thanks!

Doctor Janice

(DELETED SECTION JUST CAUSE IT'S NOT POLITE FOR A LADY TO READ :) ) -MrPaul

Remains me about L.A back in '87...

oh those good ol' memories..you could walk on venice beach with your girl holding hads and passing the joint no fears of getting caugth

The best times I've ever had I can't remember. :(

jejejej good one Robert ¡¡ ... well thats part of aging uhh ?... any way best times should be today... cheers Walter.

I recommend speed to keep you alert and focused with a good hallucinogenic to aid the creative process a couple of tranquillisers will probably stop it being to stressful. All these pills are likely to leave you with a dry mouth, Vodka is a fairly neutral beverage to wash it all down. You may need heavy duty sleeping pills at the end of the day. If you fancy a recreational spliff at the same time, sure why not :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

The Bear, from some of the posts you've made in the past it doesn't surprise me that you smoke cannabis. You seem not quite with it at times. E.g. your desire to trade the Big Dow because "bigger is better" even though people kept telling you it would be better to just trade multiple YM contracts shows you lack logical reasoning and perspective, which is typical of someone who smokes cannabis.

Guest cooter
You guys are hilarious. Lately i've been feeling pretty f-in good - i've been dabbling in Crystal Meth - pretty good stuff :no:

Next.................special k.

Figures...

johngalt.jpg

haha, interesting thread....

I think there is a guy on elitetrader, "stonedtrader" that claims to trade stoned.

I have'nt smoked pot in 10 years but I remember my best online chess games were after I smoked back then. The whole pattern of the way the board was developing just seemed to be in slow motion and the moves were obvious. Maybe i'll do an experiment 10 years from now when I'm a good trader with money to burn in a small account.

I doubt that would work though, if anything I would think you would end up over trading.

Hey doc,

Are you in combat or daytrading? If no, then are you under the influence when you make any decisions? If no, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't do it, but it's not that big of a deal. No worse than drinking as far as performance goes, IMO.

haha, interesting thread....

I think there is a guy on elitetrader, "stonedtrader" that claims to trade stoned.

I have'nt smoked pot in 10 years but I remember my best online chess games were after I smoked back then. The whole pattern of the way the board was developing just seemed to be in slow motion and the moves were obvious. Maybe i'll do an experiment 10 years from now when I'm a good trader with money to burn in a small account.

I doubt that would work though, if anything I would think you would end up over trading.

heh heh, now there's an idea....

You could be the Timothy Leary of trading!:eek::eek::eek:

Results Of A Comprehensive Study of Cannabis Use and Psychosis in Later Life

August 1, 2007  A systematic review of longitudinal studies suggests there is sufficient new evidence that the use of cannabis (marijuana) increases the risk for later psychotic illness by roughly 40%. The study showed a trend towards an increased risk for depression in people who had used cannabis, but the evidence was not as strong.

The article by Theresa H.M. Moore, MSc, from the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom, and colleagues is published in the July 28 issue of The Lancet.

Study author Stanley Zammit, PhD, from Cardiff University in Wales, told Medscape that individuals who used cannabis on a weekly or daily basis had about a 2- to 3-fold increase in risk for psychotic outcomes, independent of transient intoxication or other confounding factors. He added, "We looked at the quality of the studies quite rigorously and feel the evidence is strong enough to warrant advising everyone, particularly young people, that the use of cannabis does potentially have some health risks, especially if they are using it on a regular basis."

Cannabis is the most commonly used illegal substance in most countries, the authors write, adding that in the United Kingdom and New Zealand, about 1 in 5 young people report using cannabis weekly or having used it more than 100 times. Previous studies have suggested that cannabis use can produce transient, usually mild, psychotic and affective experiences, but whether it increases the incidence of mental health outcomes such as schizophrenia or depression is unclear.

The group searched for population-based longitudinal studies that looked at the relationship between cannabis use and subsequent psychotic and affective outcomes. They found 11 studies from 7 cohorts that looked at psychotic outcomes and 24 studies from 15 cohorts that looked at affective outcomes.

Increased Risk, Dose-Response Effect

The researchers found a consistent increased risk for psychotic outcomes in the people who had ever used cannabis (adjusted odds ratio [OR], 1.41; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.20 - 1.65), with a greater risk in individuals who had used it most frequently (OR, 2.09; 95% CI, 1.54 - 2.84).

Most studies excluded people with psychosis at baseline, so this association between cannabis use and psychosis is unlikely to result from reverse causation, the group writes. The studies also adjusted for about 60 confounding factors. "People who use cannabis might be different from other people in a number of factors and some of those might increase their risk of mental health disease, but even once we had adjusted for these factors, there was still an association," Dr. Zammit said.

The evidence that cannabis use leads to depression, suicidal thoughts, and anxiety outcomes was less consistent. "Overall, the quality of the studies wasn't as robust as the studies for psychosis," said Dr. Zammit, adding that for example, many of the studies did not try to adjust for confounding factors.

Although an individual's lifetime risk of developing a serious psychotic illness is only about 2% or 3%, he added, cannabis can be expected to have a large impact at a population level because exposure to this drug is so common.

"The overall message is that people who use cannabis on a regular basis need to be aware of this risk, so they can make an informed judgement about whether they want to continue using it, or perhaps try to cut down their use," or seek treatment of dependency, he concluded.

Merete Nordentoft, MD, and Carsten Hjorthøj, from Copenhagen University Hospital in Denmark, write that the study is the most comprehensive meta-analysis to date of this possible causal relationship and the adjustment for confounding factors and transient effects "is done more thoroughly than in previous reviews." They report, "We therefore agree with the authors' conclusion that there is sufficient evidence to warn young people that cannabis use will increase the risk of psychosis later in life."The general public has considered cannabis to be relatively harmless in comparison with alcohol and opioids, they note, cautioning that, "however, the potential long-term hazardous effects of cannabis with regard to psychosis seem to have been overlooked, and there is a need to warn the public of these dangers, as well as to establish treatment to help young frequent cannabis users.

Thanks!

Doctor Janice