Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jperl

Trading with Market Statistics III. Basics of VWAP Trading

Could you not just encode these movies in .avi format which everyone will be able to play with installing dodgy files on their trading computer?

Yes, I could, but the file size might be prohibitive. The swf files are about a factor of 3 smaller than the avi files. I originally loaded these files as Camtasia exe files which anyone could open without a lot of fuss, but I received vociferous objections to that.

Suggest you send a note to Soultrader, about your request. I'd be happy to send the files in any format he would agree to. My first choice would be Camtasia files.

No one wants to be running executables on their trading PC. Why not just upload to filefront or youtube?

I did use filefront for a few files, but now abandoned that for uploading directly to this forum. Much less hassle.

There are several small pieces of software(other than Quicktime) that run swf files conveniently and easily as suggested by Thrunner in his post in this thread. I've tried swf opener and it works fine.

I hope we can stop the discussion about the video format and let Jerry help us as Soultrader is keeping on doing (thanks for allowing to place videos on your site to stay permanently available).

Notouch - you do not need to install anything, just do not view the files on your trading computer. From this point of view there is no difference between AVI and SWF - the trading computer is only for trading, if taken seriously even browsing and emailing can be dangerous.

Jerry - swf's are fine and the recommendation from Thrunner for those two tiny swf viewers are great. They are virus-free (I checked them both), banner-free, trojan/adware free, they have tiny memory footstep and do the job as expected. The FLV format is efficient (better than common AVI), virus free and platform independent (not like EXE).

Notouch - they are less resource demanding than M$ mediaplayer or Quicktime monsters, as well as the FLV format is more efficient than AVI as Jerry said.

Personally, I got rid of Quicktime a while ago since that was the really untrusted big monster which was instead of doing its job sitting in the background, full of annoying banners and upgrade popups and stealing data and bandwidth. You can hardly find anything worse than Quicktime (nothing against Apples effort, I do not hold short position of their stocks nor want to buy long cheap either - at least within few days, but their intention seems to be other than to create a good free player).

Let us focus on trading, this is why we are here and if I have to download !#$^ to be able to view interesting training lesson I would gladly do it!

NEWBIE is on roll. He now has the PVP , the VWAP and their relationship down pat. He keeps his entries simple by trading short when Price Action < VWAP < PVP and trading long when Price Action > VWAP > PVP. He wants to test his new found knowledge on other contracts, like the Emini NASDAQ 100 ( NQ ). So here is NEWBIES NQ trade for today July 18, 20007. Watch the video and see how NEWBIE does it.

NQshort.swf

Jerry,

do you calculate the standard deviation added to VWAP from price only or from the difference between VWAP and price? Both lead to slightly different results.

Thanks,

Nelo

Jerry,

do you calculate the standard deviation added to VWAP from price only or from the difference between VWAP and price? Both lead to slightly different results.

Thanks,

Nelo

The computation of the standard deviation is with respect to the VWAP. We will discuss the implications of this in the next thread, coming soon.

I cannot wait for the explanation how do you use the deviations and how do you identify when the trend is intact (and buy tops/sell bottoms) and when to trade extremes (sell tops/buy bottoms).

Is this something where VWAP / deviations can help (comparably as market profile does)?

Thanks.

I cannot wait for the explanation how do you use the deviations and how do you identify when the trend is intact (and buy tops/sell bottoms) and when to trade extremes (sell tops/buy bottoms).

Is this something where VWAP / deviations can help (comparably as market profile does)?

Thanks.

I've started a thread on the use of the Standard Deviation of the VWAP in [thread=2101]Part IV[/thread] of Trading with Market Statistics.

Slow creep upward price action is difficult to trade under any circumstances.

Jerry can u please explain why this is the case with respect to trading with market statistics.

What makes it difficult to trade even with market statistics, is that the slow creep usually hugs one of the standard deviation lines rather than rotating between the SD's. As a result while you may have an entry point, you don't have an exit target that get's touched before you get stopped out.

What's with the video link? The videos are the resaon that I subscribed to this service.

Are you having issues viewing the attached .swf videos? If you are searching for the video section, it has been moved to the premium forum.

Hello SoulTrader,

I checked the premium forum "Video" section but I didn't find the video "Newbies_First_Trade.swf". Can you take a look? Thank you very much!

yjl

Hello SoulTrader,

I checked the premium forum "Video" section but I didn't find the video "Newbies_First_Trade.swf". Can you take a look? Thank you very much!

yjl

Let me find it and upload it here. Give me a few.

Hi everyone,

Firstly, a big thank you to jperl for sharing his knowledge and creating all these great videos about vwap. I don't know if its just me but my laptop has problems playing the 'swf' videos. They are sluggish and stall. I have tried different players and looked to convert the swf's to another format but I have had no joy. I would be grateful if anybody has any advice on how to run these smoothly or how they can be converted or already have them in a different format.

Thank you

Regards

Joe

For all new members/guests.

re: playing the swf videos

I have tried all the players mentioned in this thread and in my opinion

the classic version of quicktime (v7.2) plays the videos the best.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Joe