Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

pastthepost

Shorting the Turkish Lire

Obviously, post coup and recent S&P downgrade, the Turkish lire will fall at least for the next few weeks.

So, taking a leaf out of Soros' book, could I short the lira?

I'm assuming there are controls against this sort of thing forbidding amateur investors from engaging in this sort of behaviour but I'm curious to hear about currency speculation.

Obviously, post coup and recent S&P downgrade, the Turkish lire will fall at least for the next few weeks.

So, taking a leaf out of Soros' book, could I short the lira?

I'm assuming there are controls against this sort of thing forbidding amateur investors from engaging in this sort of behaviour but I'm curious to hear about currency speculation.

Yeah you can considering gloomy outlook on world growth and speculations that recession will soon hit Europe and maybe UK as well. You can start will small positions building them gradually as it moves in your favor. It is my strategy I use with Hotforex.

The Turkish lire fell short term but didn't really go below its low against the dollar of Sept 2015.

After the news of the coup in Turkey, the TRL crashed but found support not long after. The 'dead cat bounce' will run for a short time and so perhaps a 'sure trade' til the market returns to just before the coup. From then on, who knows?

The Turkish lire fell short term but didn't really go below its low against the dollar of Sept 2015.

After the news of the coup in Turkey, the TRL crashed but found support not long after. The 'dead cat bounce' will run for a short time and so perhaps a 'sure trade' til the market returns to just before the coup. From then on, who knows?

Think this might be a nice chance to buy on the deep? Or is it going even lower?

Think this might be a nice chance to buy on the deep? Or is it going even lower?

Start buying on bottom and gradually build position as it moves against you cuz the bottom has to be somewhere near current levels. Coup was supressed so I think nothing threatens stability of turkish economy.

Opened another two 0.03 lot bids on lira with Hotforex lets see how it goes.