Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jpennybags

Inspirational Reading...

Good gawd this forum sucks, and I'm about to introduce something that is destined to die in the weeds...

This forum used to be kind of a fun place to hang out; not so much anymore. The "golden C's" have filled the void. If you are a new trader, I would advise that you run... not walk from this place. For those that would choose to continue... some levity may be a good thing.

After fifty some odd years, I went back to read (reread) Jack London's "Call of the Wild". I couldn't say that my first reading was a pivotal moment in my life, but there are some parallels to learning to trade that may be of some small value to beginning traders... or not... it's more a matter of my own amusement...

Anyone else got anything of mention to add (for my amusement... or your own)?

You sound really pessimistic... Can nothing save this website at all?

Well... first off... you are not amusing me. Do you have a bit inspirational reading that you may want to add? What you may add to the conversation doesn't have to be earth shaking, just a matter of joining a conversation about something other than "trading" is at hand. An act of creative thinking that may catch the interest of other thinking humans.

There was at one time a community of aspiring traders (some who had achieved) who frequented this site. The reasons for why this site has devolved into what it currently is, could be attributed to the notion: "everything good comes to an end". It may be that it just couldn't support it's own weight. It may come back, but I see no indication of that... thus far.

If you are an aspiring trader, or you have achieved, I think it would be agreed that this business can be a tough nut to crack. From a personal perspective, I feel no need to talk trading all the time... it's kind of boring (I love this shit... I know my objectives and I don't need to waste time with yours) but, it is a pleasant thing to interact with others of a like mind. If one were to check out "the pic of the day" thread, there were people interacting around something other than trading. This was a good thing... it's a community thing, and something sorely missing.

I'll close this all too unamusing statement by saying that in all honesty, I have not learned a damn thing from anyone on this site (save a couple of key interactions...you know who you are because I've thanked you). It's just good to have like minded folks to converse with. Nothing more...

This recommendation for something to read would fall into the category of “it may not cure what ails you, but it won't kill you”…

If I were to take on students, a precursor to receiving my instruction would be several months of learning the practice of meditation and mindfulness. I don't think formal instruction is necessary, but just an introduction through your own reading, and daily practice would suffice.

I've heard the claims that “pure” systems traders make about trading with no fear: “I trust the system, and there is no fear in trading the system”. I would not (could not) dispute that claim; if it's true for you then it's true. I have no argument one way or the other (though I do question the assertion). Regardless, as I mentioned at the top: “it won't kill you”.

I approach most everything in life and learning in a practical and pragmatic manner, and I would not encourage devoting a great deal of time to meditation; thirty minutes a day is all it takes to begin to understand mindfulness. There are a great many claims about the benefits of mindfulness, but I think (in a practical sense) for traders, the benefit comes in learning to listen to the thoughts that stream into your consciousness in a passive rather than reactionary manner.

For what it's worth, it has helped me; not so much in dealing with fear, but in my thought process leading up to trade entry, managing the trade and making the exit. For the record, my problems came with being a little too fearless and aggressive. It has helped with that aspect too… though I'm still a work in progress. I've read all the books that are listed, and while I claim no expertise on the subject, it is where I started…

Meditation: An In-Depth Guide

https://www.amazon.com/Meditation--Depth-Guide-Ian-Gawler/dp/1585428612/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1469810805&sr=1-1&keywords=meditation+an+in+depth+guide

As to trading and mindfulness:

Trade Mindfully: Achieve Your Optimum Trading Performance with Mindfulness and Cutting Edge Psychology

https://www.amazon.com/Trade-Mindfully-Performance-Mindfulness-Psychology/dp/1118445619/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1469811004&sr=1-1&keywords=gary+dayton

Edited by jpennybags

radingmotion is like a store of many trading systems, through it, people can buy systems that fit their needs, the cost of some systems is very high, that after waiting to see if the situation improved did not happen, that the losses exceed 60%