Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

michaelusher

Day Trading

Are you asking this question out of personal experience... or something you have imagined?

If you have a large amount of product that must be moved... let's just say crystal meth. You may have to take a different approach than someone selling dime bags. It's a problem of distribution and finding willing buyers.

If you are large enough, you will have to trade differently than someone who is smaller. As you have chosen to have posed this question, I would assume that you are not "that" large.

Possibly, you can elaborate...

No stock has infinite liquidity. The more money you have to invest, the fewer opportunities will be large enough to absorb your capital, broadly speaking. In other words, in the stock market, volume matters. The larger your investable capital grows, the more you focus on large companies, which have already realized much of their growth potential. The biggest upside is to invest early with companies while they are still small, their growth is still ahead of them, and most investors haven't realized it yet.

Why is it harder to make gains with larger trading capital than smaller capital? Since if you use the same allocation,should the yearly gains be the same?

What you're saying is correct in theory, I think, but in practice trying to trade the huge numbers of contracts needed to maintain the same allocation would cause you to move the markets against you.

Be careful though . . . A lot of educators seem to use this explanation when you ask them a question like "if the best hedge fund managers in the world only return an average of 30% per year, how come you're claiming to double your account every month?". Although a small retail trader might be able to outperform a hedge fund because they're not dealing with huge amounts of capital, this isn't going to account for a huge difference of thousands of percent per year.

I don't really care about dividends, buybacks, strong dollar, headwinds, tailwinds, calls & puts, current issues or crushing suppliers. I've been buying & selling APPLE stock for 3 years and now I'm playing with 1000 shares all on company money. Sold my shares for $118.10 hoping to buy back at $114.00 or lower in next few days. I guess I'm just a foolish old man ...