Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

eldad

Am I Willing to Lose on This Trade?

Hi,

This week a very nice question pop into my mind while watching a stock on my list and thinking should I trade it or not, the stock was above my pivot price, it did had an uptrend but still it had some move that left me with strange feeling,

So I asked myself am I ready to lose money on this trade? Is this trade is a trade that if I will look in a week from now a year from now I will say yes I am willing to risk my money on it? The answer for this specific trade was no,

It didn’t end in this, it wasn’t just to say I am not willing to risk on this trade I said one more thing and I think it is a must when you choose to let go a trade, I am willing to accept the fact that this can be a winning trade, but I prefer to be outside,

In the past I did decide to pass on some trades but when I saw they reached the profits targets I thought, it ate me alive, “ahhh I just take losing trades and the winner I am too afraid to trade”, and to be sure the only ones I remember are the ones I didn’t took but made money, not the ones that saved me money or emotional costs,

If you are not preparing yourself to the possible outcomes you are illusioning yourself in more than a way, you must accept both possible outcomes you will give up on a winning trade or a losing trade, you should be o.k. with both options,

I do this to take just the best trades now days, so I will rebuild my confidence in my system and in me, I remember in “Reminiscences of stock operator” when Jessi Livermore after losing all in the third or fourth time had just one more options and he waits and says I will wait for my best idea not just any one, this is what I am trying now to do, to get back on the horse by riding the best ideas I can, not average ones, just the best.

So in order to eliminate the average ones I ask myself Am I willing to lose on this trade?

Make the odds in your favor Day Trade

Eldad Nahmany.

#tobecomeadaytrader

alternatively, work out how much you think you should make on the trade, and if its worth risking a loss multiple times on the same trade. This might give you more insight into why you want to enter in the first place.

Otherwise you will simply still take the losses and not make enough back to cover those.

Well it is not an alternative as I still need to ask if I am willing to lose this R amount, and i do use this system,

thanks,

only if you want to trade for losses.

I know your choices here are between taking a trade and regretting it or not..(hindisght is bitch).....but unless you thoroughly record every potential trade including those not taken (and this cant be trusted in hindsight) you have no idea about which ones becomes 'bad; or 'average' trades.

You say "So in order to eliminate the average ones I ask myself Am I willing to lose on this trade? "

Every trade you take you are deciding to risk a loss. That is a given.

As you have a 'system' and within this system a measure of discretion....ie;.you chose to take or not to take certain trades and the fact you have profit targets also indicates you have thought about what this trade might expect to make (or is this some random element?)

so --- as an alternative to simply asking --- am I willing to lose on this trade, you could also (or alternatively ask) is this trade good enough in its idea that i would be willing to lose multiple times, BECAUSE there is enough profitable reason for the trade.

as you say...

"If you are not preparing yourself to the possible outcomes you are illusioning yourself in more than a way"

actually nobody is willing to lose in any of the trade but it is sometimes bad luck which causes us to loose in the money . one should be enough strong to bear loosing the trade and also to improve and make some profitable trade .

On 12/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, divyanshisharma said:

USe Stoploss and Target to avoid all this emotional stuffs!

Stop loss feature can help cut off loses earlier than they become too big to afford. Bad days can occur to professional traders as well however they are skilled money managers and use tight stop losses to eject from a bad trade as soon as possible.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:27 AM, aimhi said:

Stop loss feature can help cut off loses earlier than they become too big to afford. Bad days can occur to professional traders as well however they are skilled money managers and use tight stop losses to eject from a bad trade as soon as possible.

Agree they mastered the art of cutting losses short and controlled drawdown is part and parcel of successful trading. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:13 AM, aimhi said:

The professional traders are the one who actually turned out their losing trades into profitable in my opinion.

How is this possible bro? Do you mean they learn the lessons from their losing trades?

Yes many lose money in forex trading and leave markets however some loses more while chasing their lost money. Those who let go off their loses and learn how to trade eventually become successful in future.

Traders often fail because they don't take their trades seriously enough. Most inexperienced traders are looking for get-rich-quick methods and are not fully prepared for how they will enter the market. In fact, some inexperienced traders gamble without even realizing it.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:45 PM, CrazyCzarina said:

Traders often fail because they don't take their trades seriously enough. Most inexperienced traders are looking for get-rich-quick methods and are not fully prepared for how they will enter the market. In fact, some inexperienced traders gamble without even realizing it.

Agree that's why I watched first Hotforex webinars to learn thoroughly emotional and psychological aspects of trading in order to avoid gambling