Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

flowzen

Losing Money

Isn't losing money a choice? As a beginning trader, I only take trades near support/resistance with volatility on a stock I know. It helps that there is a underlying market which is heavily manipulated by its home government. If the stock moves past the predefined support/resistance-I'm out. If I lost more than I could afford for that day-I don't trade anymore. Don't take anything with more than 3:1 ratio, taking half at 50% and letting whatever else run until it reverses by a dynamic margin. Now I'm not making a ton of money doing this-but I am profitable because my big winners heavily outweigh my small losers. I trade with 25% of my account because of its size, and factor in commissions(which by trying to "free trade" accounts I've kept to a minimum :). So unless I just lose my head and start trying to scale, or use too big a position, or not exit a trade as soon as it moves against me-how could I lose money?

I can not imagine someone choosing to lose money. Obviously it is not a choice but luck of good strategy or poor trading psychology.

You are one amongst very few who are successful trading. Good job, keep it up ;)

Isn't losing money a choice? As a beginning trader, I only take trades near support/resistance with volatility on a stock I know. It helps that there is a underlying market which is heavily manipulated by its home government. If the stock moves past the predefined support/resistance-I'm out. If I lost more than I could afford for that day-I don't trade anymore. Don't take anything with more than 3:1 ratio, taking half at 50% and letting whatever else run until it reverses by a dynamic margin. Now I'm not making a ton of money doing this-but I am profitable because my big winners heavily outweigh my small losers. I trade with 25% of my account because of its size, and factor in commissions(which by trying to "free trade" accounts I've kept to a minimum :). So unless I just lose my head and start trying to scale, or use too big a position, or not exit a trade as soon as it moves against me-how could I lose money?

This is what i do as well. I never trade big and go out of negative trades early.

One doesn't choose to win or to lose, however once you have decided to trade safer or riskier then you are also increasing or reducing the probabilities to lose. I also put into practice some of the actions pointed above.

Losing money is not a choice for beginner, usually it's the result of your decision. For begineer, make a strictly risk management and stoploss to control lost, and the top objective should be learning, not make profit for beginer.

Could track decent money management in your trading description. I have approximately same trading setup but only for currencies, 1:50 leverage, no more than 0.5 lot size and fixed spreads (special Hotforex account). And my profits do outweight losses as well, because I my drawdown never exceed 0.5% of my account or i close the trade.

its all about the mind set, this is how i look at it, losing money is part of it definitly but, the thing i try to achieve is finding ways to lessen the loses rather than expanding the profit, you could say a bit of both, that way its easier not to get too frustrated with loses, loses are normal i even burned an account with hotforex a ccouple of years back, and learned from it.

There is a book by Dr Alexander Elder called 'Trading For a Living" or something like that. I strongly recommend you to read it (you can find the online version) and see that in fact people are addicted to losing. Its a fascinating book.

If you are a beginner, why not start by paper trading for longer, and then when you gain more experience, then move on to real trading.

I guess new traders should trade demo accounts provided by the brokers for few months before going to trade live. Trading demo accounts might seems to be tiring job however it helps getting familiar with the broker internal systems and processes. It also helps learn trading easily and absolutely no risk of loosing money.

The average forex trader loses money, which is in itself a very discouraging fact. Forex is risky business for traders which do not know trade. Proper knowledge and experience make Forex trade easy otherwise it is very tough and risky.