Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

marketmonkey

Execution/Time and Sales

I am new to short term trading, been investing for 20 years but have spent the last 2 years reading, studying, watching and learning shorter term trading and doing well enough to keep going but this problem scares me.

I trade on Fidelity Active Trader Pro and I put a limit buy order in for 500 shares at $7.79, the DOM showed 5800 shares in the que at the bid of $7.79 and 6200 shares at the ask of $7.80.

My order of 500 shares bumped the bid at $7.79 to 6300 shares and I watched the time and sales, to my amazement after some time a total of 8760 shares were bought at $7.79 along with thousands of sub penny hits before the bid/ask moved to $7.80 then up and up.

How did my limit at $7.79 get missed if it was placed ahead of 2460 shares that came in after me?

The order I placed was place using the smart routing feature.

Could somebody please explain how this happens, I have other examples with some of over a 15000 share difference. I don't get it and feel I need to understand why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.

I am new to short term trading, been investing for 20 years but have spent the last 2 years reading, studying, watching and learning shorter term trading and doing well enough to keep going but this problem scares me.

I trade on Fidelity Active Trader Pro and I put a limit buy order in for 500 shares at $7.79, the DOM showed 5800 shares in the que at the bid of $7.79 and 6200 shares at the ask of $7.80.

My order of 500 shares bumped the bid at $7.79 to 6300 shares and I watched the time and sales, to my amazement after some time a total of 8760 shares were bought at $7.79 along with thousands of sub penny hits before the bid/ask moved to $7.80 then up and up.

How did my limit at $7.79 get missed if it was placed ahead of 2460 shares that came in after me?

The order I placed was place using the smart routing feature.

Could somebody please explain how this happens, I have other examples with some of over a 15000 share difference. I don't get it and feel I need to understand why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried to figure this out together with your broker? What was their explanation?

Most probably you got your order slippaged as it often happens in fx trading.

Hi,

What you see in the DOM or level 2 is not the whole picture,

some buyers/sellers sends there orders with the "Hide" options which means you don't see it in the books, it is there but you cant see, and they are in the line to get filled according to the submitting time (most chances before you did)

you might saw it yourself, the lv2 shows 100 shares and someone just hitting the bid/ask but still the 100 shares stay, and price don't move,

Also the DOM lv2 shows the best bid/ask for each market maker at the moment so if the Bid is 9.80 under 9.79 you want see all the bids because some market makers had bids in 80, check this for more info: Introduction To Level II Quotes

with that being said you still need to check with your broker because some times they do

have problems,

All the Best

Eldad

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By millonmethod
      Hello everyone!
      I am an advanced trader, with many years of experience (about 15 years - 10 living exclusively from this)
      I am going to give you some tips that you must know:
      There are going to be many people who tell you that trade is easy, that with only crossiing a line  with another one you will win a lot of money.... and that´s not true.  No, Sir, reality is far away from that. Many people who start arrive here with the hope that someone "gives them" a free method, they watch youtube videos thinking that this will give them the "strategy" and in a few days they realize that it does not work for them - they lose money - and then They go looking for a new one ... and so on. YES, IT´S TRUE YOU EARN IN TRADING, A LOT. BUT THINK: for a few to win (10% + any BROKER) many others must lose (90% people). YOU MUST HAVE A MONEY MANAGMENT FORMULA ( you can email me) People study so many years to live on this, not because they are dumb, but to know what they do, when, and have absolute effectiveness. It´s very easy to get lost here: do not disperse, jumping from one to another strategy WILL NEVER give you money, it will only waste your time and make you nervous when trading. PEOPLE WHO CHANGE THEIR METHOD CONSTANTLY : LOOOOSE ALWAYS.   If you have the knowledge to develop it, take your time and do it.  Always try it first on DEMO for at least 2 weeks! If not: search to buy a solid strategy (no you tube videos pleassse ! Avoid losing money! ) This is like any business, it requires some capital to start (capital = money in the broker + solid made /purchased strategy) If you are lost: I RECOMMEND YOU NOT TO WASTE TIME IN YOUTUBE, JOIN PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A METHOD ... PLEASE !!!! DO NOT BUY 10 BAD AND CHEAP METHODS, SAVE MONEY AND BUY ONLY 1 BUT EXCLUSIVE AND MUST ALLWAYS HAVE SUPPORT !!!!!  Do not buy Signals! They never keep up with constant profits! One week will win and the next will lose. Nothing that does not depend absolutely on you will give you the money you are looking for. And if you do not have a strategy (made or purchased) do not even try PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: DO NOT USE REAL MONEY! AT LEAST 2 WEEK DEMO FREE HELP HERE!!!!!  IF YOU FOLLOW MY ADVICE YOU WILL BE PART OF THAT 10% WINNER, email me.
      Have a nice trading day

• By RedJoker81
      Hello, I wish to get into trading(maybe day trading).  But my question is what should I focus on learning, stocks(btw I know about the $25000 limit but I don't know if I am going trade that many times a week) or Forex, atm I plan to start with 500-1000$. My background would be that I have taken an economics class in which one part was stocking as we had to play a stock market game for around 3 months. Also if you are wondering I don't plan to start real trading for at least a few months(I Plan to practice with demo accounts first and find a profitable strategy first). Thanks for the help! 
    • By YADIX ECN/STP Broker
      Dear traders,

At Yadix, we understand what traders need to succeed and we would like to update you with the latest broker developments for 2018 Q2:

We have reduced our spreads by up to 60% across all forex symbols. We have added new liquidity to offer the lowest spreads in Forex. The average spread for EUR/USD is now 0.13 pips. You are invited to login to your MT4 account and review the amazing reductions in our raw spreads and also benefit from our exclusive ECN rebate program and discounts. 

Execution statistics have been added to the site for trading transparency and to highlight the benefits of trading with a true STP broker. Through low latency technologies, hosted at the Equinix LD4 our traders benefit from 78% filled at the requested price or better, 28% filled with improved prices and 99.4% executed in 15 milliseconds or less.

We have introduced a new VPS provider that offers great stability and 99.9% up time, with faster connectivity to Equinix LD4 server and much higher technical specifications. You can benefit from lower latency and faster execution, by claiming a free VPS with reduced qualifying deposit.

Discounts are now available on our ECN trading accounts, where you will benefit from low cost ECN trading, forex pairs $2.50 per 100,000 traded, to ensure all Yadix clients have access to best institutional level conditions with small deposit requirements. 

For more information, please feel free to contact our team.

Best regards,     
      Robert Taylor
      Business Development 
      Yadix Forex Broker 
      Telephone: +44(0) 20 3239 6117
      Web: http://www.yadix.com/
      E-mail: support@yadix.com

• By trading4life
      Hello, My name is trading4life.
      I just joined this forum.
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.