Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

painofhell

The Four Faces of Fear

The Four Faces of Fear #1 Today, 06:00 AM

Right now I'm reading Trading in the Zone, a book on trading psychology by Mark Douglas. This book has been widely praised, and discussed extensively here on InformedTrades; I highly recommend folks check out Larry Folson's course and Magic's Trading in the Zone review to learn more and check out some great resources that are complementary to the book.

Like many others who have studied trading psychology or have traded themselves, the book identifies fear as the primary emotion that blocks traders from succeeding. Specifically, Douglas refers to the four types of fear traders face:

1. Fear of being wrong -- creates agony over entering trades

2. Fear of losing -- this often results in holding on to losing positions

3. Fear of missing out -- leads to chasing price and poorly timed entries

4. Fear of leaving money on the table -- translates to holding on too positions too long and poorly timed exits

For an audio/visual look at this subject, try the short video below.

In terms of overcoming those fears, Douglas notes the importance of finding your edge and trusting it. Knowing your edge, gaining great confidence in it, and taking full responsibility of your trades is what Douglas prescribes as the antidote to fear.

These are simple concepts, but I thought they were worth highlighting -- especially for active traders, and those seeking to live the dream of trading for a living.

Edited by painofhell

nice stuff. but i would rather to overcame my fear.

it's take more time to define each my ear while taking preaction differently for any kind of fear type.

face it, overcome and do it again :)

For me major 3 Fear is

*Fear of Loss

* Fear of missing good trades

*Fear of being wrong

But i know ``Successful forex trading is about overcoming the major fears, gain confidence in my trading method and even more confidence in myself” ==> When i trade, i try to leave the emotions at the door.``

Edited by shuvo7748
spelling error