Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

md2324

When Do You Actually Make a Profit.....

when trading just a regular Call option.

Example..... MCD currently trading at $93.55

The September $94 Call ( 28 days to exp. ) has a Bid of .90 and Ask of .98

So my question is, when exactly will I start to make a profit on my Call option?

Does the Option/Stock have to move.....

1. The .08 cents between the Bid x Ask spread

2. The cost to buy the Call for .98 cents

3. The difference between the $94 Call minus the price that the stock is currently trading at of $93.55 = .45 cents

So is the total required move in the stock, before I realize 1 cent of profit , $1.51 ( .08 + .98 + .45 ) ?

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated - Michael

its simple - if you buy the call for 98c you need the call option to go up in price so that the bid is at least 98c.

What makes the call option price go up....?

- changes in the underlying price --- the stock price rises (delta changes)

- changes in the underlying volatility -- the stock becomes more volatile (volatility changes)

- changes in any dividend assumptions or other parameters -- but you should ignore this for now.

I would say for a 90c option that the bid ask spread is quite large. You need to pay away something for Market makers to make money and want to provide liquidity and so the mid price is a reasonable level to try and buy the option to reduce this and then move it around - think of it like a negotiation. This will reduce the cost of the option.