Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

The "Flip" Trade (support and resistance changing roles)

HI Walter,

Thanks for your reply, I was curious to see what type of orders you were using.

What about higher time frames do you use those in this strategy to confirm the direction of the trend?

Patrycja

The timeframe I use is 22T chart on YM, now the concept can be also used on higher timeframes as well like 55T or 110T... about the trend, the keltner actually is used for trend definition, wich its setting is high enough to represent the trend of a x5 universe... for example on the 22T chart the keltner may represent the trend of a 110T chart... so there is no need to look at two diferent charts at the same time, as this larger indicators discount larger timeframes trends... cheers Walter.

The timeframe I use is 22T chart on YM, now the concept can be also used on higher timeframes as well like 55T or 110T... about the trend, the keltner actually is used for trend definition, wich its setting is high enough to represent the trend of a x5 universe... for example on the 22T chart the keltner may represent the trend of a 110T chart... so there is no need to look at two diferent charts at the same time, as this larger indicators discount larger timeframes trends... cheers Walter.

Thanks Walter,

Yes I get your point, excellent stuff.

I must say the Flips and ABCs are a great way to trade, I am going to check your other threads, so I can implement your other setups that you have posted. I think with a knowledge of 4-5 setups and good money management it works out to a great profitable trading strategy.

By the way has anyone of you tried trading the Eurex Instruments these are available via OpenECry like the Bund, Schatz and Bobl. I think these setups are great on those support and resistance lines.

Patrycja

Thanks Walter,

Yes I get your point, excellent stuff.

I must say the Flips and ABCs are a great way to trade, I am going to check your other threads, so I can implement your other setups that you have posted. I think with a knowledge of 4-5 setups and good money management it works out to a great profitable trading strategy.

By the way has anyone of you tried trading the Eurex Instruments these are available via OpenECry like the Bund, Schatz and Bobl. I think these setups are great on those support and resistance lines.

Patrycja

Certainly there are a good bunch of setups that you can trade and make your daily target without any problem... still with just ONE setup, if you get to the point of mastering it, its good enough to make a profitable career... I will be posting some flip trades and abc trades, so we can enjoy a little bit how this wonderfull setups where able to make us some consistent profits... consistency is key on any traders career... and its posible... cheers Walter.

Hi Walter,

Here is a trade I did today, only took 2 ticks as it was very close to the value line and it started going the other way.

I have also started trading the YM on a 55 Tick chart so I will post trades as I go.

Patrycja

09092008_ABC.thumb.jpg.598af20cee63d6628f0b88c660ef1509.jpg

Edited by Patrycja

Nice post Pat... probably that trade up there was a little premature its exit... the ideal setup is the one that re-tests the level and then starts to continue on the original direction... keep posting, and lets keep getting better into this setup... thanks Walter.

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your last post.

Yes I must say I had a look at the 55 Tick YM and that is too fast for me. I might have to try these setups on a 5min chart.

I have a question with regards to ATR, can you give me some advice on how to use this in an intraday trading situation. I am sure you mentioned this in one of your other threads, just not sure where.

Patrycja

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your last post.

Yes I must say I had a look at the 55 Tick YM and that is too fast for me. I might have to try these setups on a 5min chart.

I have a question with regards to ATR, can you give me some advice on how to use this in an intraday trading situation. I am sure you mentioned this in one of your other threads, just not sure where.

Patrycja

Do you mean Keltners ATR settings on an intraday chart ?

Do you mean Keltners ATR settings on an intraday chart ?

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to know about the intraday ranges, how would you use that information in your intraday trading.

Do you take the average range of a daily over a certain time and use that information to see how much it would move in a single day?

This is probably a silly question.

Patrycja

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to know about the intraday ranges, how would you use that information in your intraday trading.

Do you take the average range of a daily over a certain time and use that information to see how much it would move in a single day?

This is probably a silly question.

Patrycja

atr on keltners is calculated from the range of the bars (h-l)... my inputs are quite discretionary, I actually try to see how the pivots get formed inside-outside to determine this settings...

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your replies and assistance.

I have posted my trades for today not much, it worked out to be a coil day, after looking at the volume profile there was a nice perfect bell curve which explained why the last two trades failed on me.

I have incorporated your long term pivots together with your flips, ABC and WM Trades.

Let me know what I am missing in these trades if you can.

Patrcyja

15092008_comments.thumb.jpg.38f2e4c186409e7295935e38571413e4.jpg

Hi Pat, what timeframe are you using on that chart ? thanks Walter.

Hi Walter,

Yes I am using 55Tick charts on that one.

Yes it was a complete ranging market, so I lost around 25 Euros on those trades.

Patrycja.