Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

daytrade999

Position Size Problem

Hi All,

I need help on position sizing. Please help.

I understand most of the things about position sizing. But I am having troublew understanding how to use for example 1% per trade.

Ex. If i have 100k 1% is 1000, So if I bought a stock for 40000. What do I do with the 60k if I want to take another position ? Do I risk 1% of 60k of the original 100k?

Question 2: When do I adjust my capitial if I have a drwadown ofd 10%? Do I still use 1% of 100k? of the drawdown point of 90K?

Help plesae thank you . Good trading all

There is no right/wrong answer here.....

but generally....

You have 100k equity and you are willing to risk 1%=$1000, that will mean that each trade you do should risk $1000.

However - you should ensure that you understand that if the trades are correlated then you effectively have the same trade on and are risking 2%. So you can either drop the size of each trade down OR, take one trade at a time OR wear the risk OR hedge somehow.

When to adjust the capital....see point above, but ideally you should be doing it for each and every trade. (remember you equity at the time of putting on the 2nd trade is still probably 100k) Maybe you do it at the end of the day/week/month... maybe you do it at certain % of equity levels, or when you exit a trade.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve and there are plenty of sources around the wed to be able to compare various methods based on your trading history. There is no substitute for doing your own homework and proving to yourself the method you choose is likely to be the one that will achieve what you want to get.

Hi All,

I need help on position sizing. Please help.

I understand most of the things about position sizing. But I am having troublew understanding how to use for example 1% per trade.

Ex. If i have 100k 1% is 1000, So if I bought a stock for 40000. What do I do with the 60k if I want to take another position ? Do I risk 1% of 60k of the original 100k?

Question 2: When do I adjust my capitial if I have a drwadown ofd 10%? Do I still use 1% of 100k? of the drawdown point of 90K?

Help plesae thank you . Good trading all

good advice on the previous post and also try to understand that the equity is the most important one....this is misleading all the time

TW

Also bear in mind that the 1% rule (otherwise known as 'fixed fractional') has developed more from the leveraged futures industry (look at the Turtles, for example). It's not necessarily relevant to what you're doing with stocks if you trade without leverage.

For instance, if you're trading the ES on a $5k account, then a 100 point adverse movement will wipe your account out. If you're trading the SPY exchange traded fund with no leverage and all your equity invested, then it would require a 100% adverse movement (ie the whole index goes to zero) to wipe your account out.

So whether you use leverage or not tends to make a difference to how you should size positions.

Hope that helps!

BlueHorseshoe