Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jpennybags

Satellite Internet Access and Trading

There is a lake side property that I am considering purchasing. The lake is about 40 miles out from the city and my current residence. There is no cable access. Ideally, I would like to make the place my full time residence and sell my house in the city. I have a couple of options: rent office space (20 miles from the lake), and commute… or satellite internet access. I'm curious if anyone has tried satellite internet for trading and how well it worked.

Thanks.

There is a lake side property that I am considering purchasing. The lake is about 40 miles out from the city and my current residence. There is no cable access. Ideally, I would like to make the place my full time residence and sell my house in the city. I have a couple of options: rent office space (20 miles from the lake), and commute… or satellite internet access. I'm curious if anyone has tried satellite internet for trading and how well it worked.

Thanks.

I travel around alot. I use an ipad setup with verizon as a hotspot for my laptop that has my trading platform on it. As long as i get a somewhat decent signal from verizon the speed is acceptable for trading.... for my purposes anyway.

I also have satellite in rural USA at a property i spend more time at. There i use hughes net generation 4. Much of the time it is acceptable but has its moments of "slowness" i.e. delayed executions on the trading platform.

I suppose it depends on your platform too and perhaps the type of trading you do. I actually prefer using the ipad as hotspot over gen4 IF i get a decent signal with verizon in the area i am in. If there is a decent signal it can actually be faster and less delay than a satellite service such as hughes net. At least in my case. When you buy an ipad you can have them set it up for verizon or for at&t. But check out the area you plan to locate at and see who has better coverage...at&t or verizon.

When traveling out of the country such as in Central America...i just pop out the verizon chip out of the ipad buy a local internet cell chip put some time on it and viola my ipad becomes a hotspot for my laptop for trading purposes.

Edited by Patuca

I have satellite on my boat ( mounted on a gyroscope to compensate for pitch and yaw), and at a rural home. Both work well except during very heavy rain, or if the dish gets covered with snow.

P.S. Congrats on getting out of the city.

Edited by Mysticforex

I have satellite on my boat ( mounted on a gyroscope to compensate for pitch and yaw), and at a rural home. Both work well except during very heavy rain, or if the dish gets covered with snow.

P.S. Congrats on getting out of the city.

Is there any way to monitor the speed and quality of data transmission? I suppose that there may be software available that runs in the background that would ping a server site every few seconds to monitor data transmission.

I have had my moto for years but am now getting too old to hold up an 800 pound moto with all the luggage on board and the misses ....plus pulling an 11 ft camper. This was close to a ton hurtling down the highway once all the gear is included. My knees are going out on me......so unfortunately i have decided to spring for a 40 foot diesel pusher motorhome with a tow veh behind it.....it is really sad..i will miss my moto...so many adventures and fun on it...life was so mobile...carefree...enjoyable...simple...

The motorhome has satellite but i havent used it yet. But i guess i can still use my ipad as a hotspot. MH has three slideouts so plenty of room.

Why do we have to get old? Things were better when younger.....now i gotta get all this stuff to survive and complicate my life.....guess i need to try and enjoy it as much as i can...

Gonna miss that moto......

Mystic... do you ever trade from your boat? I gave that some thought... that would be "James Bond" kind of cool. Imagine a yacht cruising the coastline... sunshine, fresh sea air.

Only when tied to a dock, this way I had the marina wi fi as backup.

I traded down to a 36 ft trawler from a 42 ft Sail. There was a fellow a few slips down at the end of the dock. He had a 110 ft. Motor yacht. In the parking lot he and his wife had "His and Her" Aston Martin DB9s. He told me he made all his money trading coffee. ( your mention of James Bond reminded me of the cars :cool: ).

BTW. You may want to consider a backup generator. I don't know about Kansas, but here in Upstate NY it snows a lot which means a lot of power outages.

I have had my moto for years but am now getting too old to hold up an 800 pound moto with all the luggage on board and the misses ....plus pulling an 11 ft camper. This was close to a ton hurtling down the highway once all the gear is included. My knees are going out on me......so unfortunately i have decided to spring for a 40 foot diesel pusher motorhome with a tow veh behind it.....it is really sad..i will miss my moto...so many adventures and fun on it...life was so mobile...carefree...enjoyable...simple...

The motorhome has satellite but i havent used it yet. But i guess i can still use my ipad as a hotspot. MH has three slideouts so plenty of room.

Why do we have to get old? Things were better when younger.....now i gotta get all this stuff to survive and complicate my life.....guess i need to try and enjoy it as much as i can...

Gonna miss that moto......

Ha ha, yeah I know. My 865cc Triumph is getting heavier and heavier.

My wife and I fantasize about doing the Land Yacht thing. When we were younger, several years in a row we would rent a small motor home and drive up to Watkins Glen for the F1 races. It was a blast.

Only when tied to a dock, this way I had the marina wi fi as backup.

I traded down to a 36 ft trawler from a 42 ft Sail. There was a fellow a few slips down at the end of the dock. He had a 110 ft. Motor yacht. In the parking lot he and his wife had "His and Her" Aston Martin DB9s. He told me he made all his money trading coffee. ( your mention of James Bond reminded me of the cars :cool: ).

BTW. You may want to consider a backup generator. I don't know about Kansas, but here in Upstate NY it snows a lot which means a lot of power outages.

A backup generator is standard issue for anyone living outside the metro areas. In Kansas we don't have our own weather... we get other people's weather. For a month during the summer it's too damn hot, and for a month during the winter it's too damn cold. You can expect a bit of everything. Tornados, microbursts, freezing rain, drifting snow, blistering hot asphalt melting heat. Sunsets, sunrises, and a gentle and subtle beauty balances the scales... it's home for me.

I would have to get much larger to afford the yacht and the life at sea... dare to dream. I suppose that once you've reached that place... internet connections are of little concern. It would be cool.

"I suppose that once you've reached that place... internet connections are of little concern. It would be cool."

Yeah, now I worry about Huricanes. Mystic CT is at Sea Level. On the road into to the marina there are Evacuation Route signs. All the arrows point in the opposite direction.

We are about 2.5 miles up the Mystic River, about 7 miles from the open Atlantic. I can't believe we survived "Sandy". Oh well, I guess that's why God created Insurance :)