Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Mini Nikkei Futures?

Following up on the mini nikkei I tried to extract some info from the infinity futures help desk. They said a demo on the mini is not possible. I also asked about the average spread but they didnt seem to know. Anyone who trades this already care to shed some light? In the spreadbet feed I have been messing with, its about 15 points which I assume is actually just 3 ticks? 3x500 yen (per tick).

Can anyone confirm my guess?

what do u mean by spread? difference between bid and ask? or calendar spread?

most of the time, the spread as in diff btw bid and ask is 1 tick (5 points) in the mini and sgx full contract.

only after ose close, the market in sgx and cme is very thin. The spread during US session is normally 3-5 ticks, or even wider.

Edited by scalper

what do u mean by spread? difference between bid and ask? or calendar spread?

during T and T+1 session, the spread as in diff btw bid and ask is 1 tick (5 points) in the mini and sgx full contract.

after T+1 session (ose) the market in sgx and cme is very thin. The spread during US session is normally 3-5 ticks, or even wider.

Yes, I was referring to the difference between the bid and the ask. So the OSE mini trades through the lunch break? I assume you mean T for the morning session and T+1 for the afternoon session?

This contract trades during the US session? This is great news as I was testing out some swing setups on my spread brokers charts and there were some huge gaps.

Thanks for the great info!

i want to clear some things up..

nk are traded in ose, sgx and cme. Not sure if cme offers the mini contracts. I can check it later.

The mini contracts are traded in ose and sgx. (but no liquidity in sgx)

for ose mini, trading hours are 900am - 1100am, 1230pm - 1510pm, 1630pm - 1900pm, ose time.

nkd (nk dominated in usd) opens at 1700pm ose time

then at 1900pm ose time, ose closes and markets in sgx and cme become very thin. This is when the spread becomes very high as i mentioned above.

at 2000pm ose time, nk in sgx closes and nk (dominated in yen) trades in cme (not sure if mini is offered by cme)

hope it helps.

Edited by scalper

Hi guys, seems to be a bit of activity on this thread so am hoping for some help.

Ive posted a question regarding the Hang Seng Futures under the same section. This section could easily be translated to the Nikkei 225 Options and Futures contract.

I know the diffeerence between the two styles, however what Im interested in finding out is whether their prices will always mirror the underlying (the Nikkei 225 Index)? If they do not why is this, and will there also be a difference between the options price and the futures price ?

Cheers

Hi Boony,

While the futures price can at times mirror the underlying cash index it generally does not. There is typically a premium attached to the futures which simplistically, includes cost of carry and any dividends due for the duration of the contract.

Guys, do not bother with the CME contract, my understanding is it is pretty much an after hours market. Focus on the OSE or SGX IMHO. I prefer the mini on OSE.

With kind regards,

MK

MidKnight,

what broker are you using to trade this contract, what time frame are you trading, are scalping or swing or position trading.. what data feed are you using... ?

thanks in advance

hi dwt1020,

I use IB for broker and esignal for data. Many charts of various timeframes. I don't consider myself to be scalping, but i'll do typically 2-4 trades per day.

My best regards,

MK

Sorry for the late response dwt....I don't understand your question. The Nikkei is based off the stock market which trades in Japan local time from 0900 - 1510 with a lunch break from 1100 - 1230. Due to the lunch break, this creates 2 sessions every day.

If you are referring to the CME contract that trades in US trading hours, then I would not recommend that product as this is an after hours market and is not really any different from trading the US futs outside of RTH.

My best regards,

MK

Hi,

What are the reliable tick datafeeds (with tick historical backfill) available for mini nikkei?

MidKnight mentioned ESignal, is that the only one?

Thanks! :missy:

hi,

what are the reliable tick datafeeds (with tick historical backfill) available for mini nikkei?

Midknight mentioned esignal, is that the only one?

Thanks! :missy:

cqg,bloomberg,iq feed.

This is a from a search on their website, not sure if these contracts are actually available since I'm not a subscriber. Looks like they only carry the SGX contract:

SNS# MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2009 SGX

SNSA# MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2009 SGX

SNSAH0 MINI NIKKEI 225 MAR 2010 SGX

SNSAM0 MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2010 SGX

SNSAM9 MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2009 SGX

SNSAU9 MINI NIKKEI 225 SEP 2009 SGX

SNSAZ9 MINI NIKKEI 225 DEC 2009 SGX

SNSH0 MINI NIKKEI 225 MAR 2010 SGX

SNSM0 MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2010 SGX

SNSM9 MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2009 SGX

SNSP# MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2009 SGX

SNSPH0 MINI NIKKEI 225 MAR 2010 SGX

SNSPM0 MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2010 SGX

SNSPM9 MINI NIKKEI 225 JUN 2009 SGX

SNSPU9 MINI NIKKEI 225 SEP 2009 SGX

SNSPZ9 MINI NIKKEI 225 DEC 2009 SGX

SNSU9 MINI NIKKEI 225 SEP 2009 SGX

SNSZ9 MINI NIKKEI 225 DEC 2009 SGX

http://www.iqfeed.net/symbolguide/index.cfm?symbolguide=lookup&displayaction=support&section=guide&web=iqfeed (search for "mini nikkei" in all exchanges)

Also, I know you asked for tick data, but IB does carry the mini nikkei, not sure which exchange(s) though. But it's not tick data.

IMHO, do not bother with SGX contract, at least not for charting and taking trade signals from. Stick to where the real volume is, which is Osaka. Because of that, you don't want to use IQFeed because they only offer SGX. I tried and tried to lobby them to expand their international markets to Osaka and Tokyo but Jay was not interested. Because of that, I left them and went to esignal. esignal is the best priced for a retail chump like me. CQG and bloomberg cost a lot.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting don't trade on SGX (I sometimes do), but only suggesting that basing trade decisions from the market where the volume is - which is Osaka. The mini does great volume, and by value, the bigs do a lot more.

I hope this helps some.

With kind regards,

MK