Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Platypus

Where Do I Start?

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to software development, I've been a developer for fifteen years, the last several years coding with C#.

I'm not new to trading, I've traded stocks and options for three years.

However, I am new to automated trading. I'm trying to automate the Apex Traders platform, which sits on top of the OEC API.

Neither they, nor OEC, offers a whole lot of help getting started. They seem more like they are willfully withholding assistance. I am confident that I can figure out HOW to do most of what I need to do, but what is missing is WHAT I should do in the first place.

I've created a simple strategy to get started and learn from, and struggled with trade execution, but got it working. I can get both of those things working in back test. However, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get it to trade in real time. I put the thing out there, enable it, turn on intra-bar execution, and it does... nothing. The Process() method isn't even called.

Coding by trial-and-error (and dumping debug to text files) is just no way to live! I've read the docs, they don't help. Most of their docs are just function lists that I can get from intellisense anyway. No descriptions. That's not useful.

What would be immensely helpful would be an example. If some kind person would post a very simple end-to-end strategy -- and indicators if the code needs some sort of signal to execute in real-time -- that works both in back-test and real time it would be infinitely helpful. I don't care if it loses on every trade, just as long as it is a good example of everything needed to automate an OEC app. Even if it were EL, I can convert it.

Thanks in advance,

Platypus

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to software development, I've been a developer for fifteen years, the last several years coding with C#.

I'm not new to trading, I've traded stocks and options for three years.

However, I am new to automated trading. I'm trying to automate the Apex Traders platform, which sits on top of the OEC API.

Neither they, nor OEC, offers a whole lot of help getting started. They seem more like they are willfully withholding assistance. I am confident that I can figure out HOW to do most of what I need to do, but what is missing is WHAT I should do in the first place.

I've created a simple strategy to get started and learn from, and struggled with trade execution, but got it working. I can get both of those things working in back test. However, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get it to trade in real time. I put the thing out there, enable it, turn on intra-bar execution, and it does... nothing. The Process() method isn't even called.

Coding by trial-and-error (and dumping debug to text files) is just no way to live! I've read the docs, they don't help. Most of their docs are just function lists that I can get from intellisense anyway. No descriptions. That's not useful.

What would be immensely helpful would be an example. If some kind person would post a very simple end-to-end strategy -- and indicators if the code needs some sort of signal to execute in real-time -- that works both in back-test and real time it would be infinitely helpful. I don't care if it loses on every trade, just as long as it is a good example of everything needed to automate an OEC app. Even if it were EL, I can convert it.

Thanks in advance,

Platypus

Hello,

I will PM you a possible solution . . .

BlueHorseshoe