Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

zdo

Be Your Own Client

Be your own client?

For snicks, let’s flip it. Trading forums have piles and piles of ‘be your own trading therapist/ psychologist / coach” threads and posts PLUS just about all the posts that are outright anti-psychology or those simply taking the ‘you don’t need psychology’ / ‘develop an edge and system and then if you have issues, deal with them ‘ position are ultimately be you own ‘therapist/ psychologist / coach’ positions…

Being your own client presupposes some excellence at being your own therapist/ psychologist / coach…

(at the risk of being permanently banned) here is a link

The Mindful Therapist Siegal, Daniel J.

WW Norton 2010 ISBN: 978-0-393-70645-1

Notes:

1) The material referenced is but another model. It is not necessarily truth… ie I’m making no assertions that it is a truthful or accurate model

2) If you get past the first chapter and start wondering how the material is applicable to you if you’re just sitting there alone at your tradestacion – just remember, those ‘sponge’, ‘spindle’, insula cells, etc etc. are plenty active at simulating whether you are relating directly to an other or not… etc etc…

and the ‘density’ of these and other specialized 'relational' regions has a lot to do with your personal forays into trading to begin with…

Be your own...

Be your own...

Accountant / best friend... I think far too much is made of trading psychology.

A good friend will tell you when you're pissing on yourself... your accountant will tell you when you're leaking money like a sieve. The choice is always yours as to what to do about it. There are people who go from one bad decision to the next... never grasping the personal responsibility required to be successful. They lay blame on misfortune as if misfortune happens to all... it doesn't.

The best therapy there is... making money. The road to get there is responsibility... trader psychology... not so much.

Be your own client?

Notes:

1) The material referenced is but another model. It is not necessarily truth… ie I’m making no assertions that it is a truthful or accurate model

Be your own...

It's a great advice for all the people start to learning. You are very right. We need to know what's truth behind the story, just like the stock market information. Furthermore, there is no rules 100% right in interaction system.

Be your own... it's a great word....self finding problem and be able to self debugging is the power for Be your own, although it's not easy. Thanks for this tread.

Be your own...

Accountant / best friend... I think far too much is made of trading psychology.

A good friend will tell you when you're pissing on yourself... your accountant will tell you when you're leaking money like a sieve. The choice is always yours as to what to do about it. There are people who go from one bad decision to the next... never grasping the personal responsibility required to be successful. They lay blame on misfortune as if misfortune happens to all... it doesn't.

The best therapy there is... making money. The road to get there is responsibility... trader psychology... not so much.

Dear Captain Obvious,

“Those who don’t need trading ‘psychology’, don’t need it.

Those who do need it, really do need it.”

Sincerely,

Captain WellDuh

Having a bit of trouble making sense of your post. For one, most likely if a friend has to tell you that you’re pissing all over yourself and an accountant has to tell you that you’re bleeding money too fast, then most likely your 'choices' are also always going to be limited as to what you can do about it

...and if a friend has to tell you you’re pissing on this thread... ;)

Easiest thing to do would be to throw your predicted post onto the examples pile of “just about all the posts that are outright anti-psychology or those simply taking the ‘you don’t need psychology’ / ‘develop an edge and system and then if you have issues, deal with them ‘ position are ultimately be you own ‘therapist/ psychologist / coach’ positions/posts…”. Basically it seems your comments about ‘responsibility’ do that exactly…

I’ll add a few comments just to keep it ET up in here… like… If you’re arguing that if one has character they don’t need ‘psychology’… great deal of truth to that… but this is not the thread for that conversation.

On a case by case basis though it’s quite possible to have quality character and still need work in widening individual and specific mental, emotional, etc. tolerances and resilience.

Improving ‘ability to respond’ (responsibility) AND ‘ability to project’ (anticibility :roll eyes: ) in performance work is precisely the purpose of the first post.

So, while I can agree with you that "I think far too much is made of trading psychology”

(heck I don’t really even know what ‘trading psychology’ is and don’t really relish what I do ‘know’ anymore, and I have implored them to change the sub forum name to Trader Development … or anything but Trading Psychology … yet through all that I still do know enough to be able to recommend that you re-check your own constructs of what ‘trading psychology’ is :) )

… anyways… the reality remains that because of individual differences, some people really do need professional help / help from others with certain and varying ASPECTS and STAGES of their development as traders. (and, btw, for various conditions, other modalities are far more appropriate than ‘psychology’... but that too is off topic )

A few won’t ever need any help at all… some can do it via ‘be your own‘ self help… some only need a little help… and some need a lot…etc...

jpennybags, this thread is to assist those who may be able to do it via ‘be your own‘ self help … not about whether ‘trading psychology’ is useless bullsht or not…

Having a bit of trouble making sense of your post. For one, most likely if a friend has to tell you that you’re pissing all over yourself and an accountant has to tell you that you’re bleeding money too fast, then most likely your 'choices' are also always going to be limited as to what you can do about it

...and if a friend has to tell you you’re pissing on this thread... ;)

Easiest thing to do would be to throw your predicted post onto the examples pile of “just about all the posts that are outright anti-psychology or those simply taking the ‘you don’t need psychology’ / ‘develop an edge and system and then if you have issues, deal with them ‘ position are ultimately be you own ‘therapist/ psychologist / coach’ positions/posts…”. Basically it seems your comments about ‘responsibility’ do that exactly…

I’ll add a few comments just to keep it ET up in here… like… If you’re arguing that if one has character they don’t need ‘psychology’… great deal of truth to that… but this is not the thread for that conversation.

On a case by case basis though it’s quite possible to have quality character and still need work in widening individual and specific mental, emotional, etc. tolerances and resilience.

Improving ‘ability to respond’ (responsibility) AND ‘ability to project’ (anticibility :roll eyes: ) in performance work is precisely the purpose of the first post.

So, while I can agree with you that "I think far too much is made of trading psychology”

(heck I don’t really even know what ‘trading psychology’ is and don’t really relish what I do ‘know’ anymore, and I have implored them to change the sub forum name to Trader Development … or anything but Trading Psychology … yet through all that I still do know enough to be able to recommend that you re-check your own constructs of what ‘trading psychology’ is :) )

… anyways… the reality remains that because of individual differences, some people really do need professional help / help from others with certain and varying ASPECTS and STAGES of their development as traders. (and, btw, for various conditions, other modalities are far more appropriate than ‘psychology’... but that too is off topic )

A few won’t ever need any help at all… some can do it via ‘be your own‘ self help… some only need a little help… and some need a lot…etc...

jpennybags, this thread is to assist those who may be able to do it via ‘be your own‘ self help … not about whether ‘trading psychology’ is useless bullsht or not…

Sorry... didn't mean to seem like I was saying that trading psychology was useless. I think it has a place. If I thought that trading psychology would have helped me then I would've been all over it... part of taking responsibility for one's success. It's not usually one thing that will turn the corner for most people, it's a combination of things. Getting to that place takes time and commitment (I don't know of any natural born traders... though there may be). Therapy takes time and commitment... taking responsibility.

There are enough different ways to make money in the markets, that everyone should be able to find a method that allows for an individual's risk tolerance and suits their particular personality. I think it's a quicker approach that allows an individual to compensate for tendencies and build upon a system that they understand from the inside. That said, if one wants to move to the next level, and needs to make some changes... by all means... advance the theater.

Trading psychology gets sold as one of those "magic bullet" approaches. I think that's what I find most troubling about the business as a whole. Not in anyway laying that on you.