Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Mysticforex

Working From Home

I imagine that most of us who have turned the corner of profitability work from home.

Having done so for about 8 years or so I can't imagine ever going back. A seminar or 2 a year, having to make a trip to the bank, are about the extent of my having to leave the house for work.

I no longer have to hesitate a second when making personal apps during biz hours. As long as it's not on NFP, I'am good to go.

How about you? Do you enjoy working from home ? Or do you find yourself doing more work in and around the house, and less and less trading. Are there other drawbacks we are not aware of. Chime in and let us know.

I also work from home. The longer I do it the weirder I become, but I am grateful for the freedom - It is what I dreamed of and I do love the freedom. I am a lot healthier this way since I eat clean organic food at home, get plenty of rest and play and no longer get colds/flus. I think the main thing is keeping the structure intact - no back sliding. I am a single straight guy but I swear my account is always at record highs as long as I keep the house clean - the day it looks messy expect a loosing streak.

Aloha,

Dave

I also work from home. The longer I do it the weirder I become, but I am grateful for the freedom - It is what I dreamed of and I do love the freedom. I am a lot healthier this way since I eat clean organic food at home, get plenty of rest and play and no longer get colds/flus. I think the main thing is keeping the structure intact - no back sliding. I am a single straight guy but I swear my account is always at record highs as long as I keep the house clean - the day it looks messy expect a loosing streak.

Aloha,

Dave

I really liked your answer.......it made me laugh :)

TW

^^ Me too. I know what you mean about getting weirder too. I don't fit normal society much anymore whereas at one point I did. However, despite fitting in with society at one point, that was also the point where I was dreaming of breaking free -- so fast forward 9 years and here I am.

I personally need to keep up a daily routine. When I break this routine or when my day is rushed and running behind schedule then my day trading will usually suffer - especially the first few trades.

I need to go walk my dogs for an hour or two every morning. This puts me in touch with nature and gets the blood pumping. It lets my subconscious work away at any crazy trading explorations I have - and I _always_ have some of those on the go. Or maybe its a mental review over the previous days trading mistakes that really irritated me.

I need to muck around on the property for an hour or two. I need to be at the computer about an hour before the open. Pretty much no exceptions to this stuff every day - even in the rain or snow.

Yeah, I'm weird. Yeah, I love it.

With kind regards,

MK

I've been ruined for returning to the work force again... can't imagine having to make the commute everyday. The thing about not being exposed to the cold / flu virus is so true. I used to catch cold twice a year like clock work. I haven't had a cold in 3 years... it may have been 4 years, as I honestly cant recall.

The thing about getting "weirder" is amusing. I've often questioned if spending so much time alone is healthy. I can't see any ill effects, but maybe I would need to be on the outside looking in to notice.

I used to be in charge of the development and fabrication of multi million dollar tooling systems, and now I putter around the house looking for little projects to fill the day. That was a transition that was difficult... still is at times.

My house is always clean, the bed gets made everyday, and if I want to take the day off... I do. Sweet deal, if you ask me...

The best part of trading at home was the fantastic acoustics created by tile floors and cathedral ceilings when I scream expletives after a series of losses. Other than that I function a lot better when I am in an office than at home.

Two hours with dogs? Do you spend that much time each day with your wife and kids?

Aloha,

Dave

I know what you mean about living healthy. I am not a declared vegitarian, but I can not remember the last time I ate meat. I have converted a room in the house to a gym, including a cedar sauna. I have also become a neat nut.

Weird ? Yeah. Since I work alone and at odd hours when I do interact with other humans I have become a "Chatty Cathy".

I know what you mean about living healthy. I am not a declared vegitarian, but I can not remember the last time I ate meat. I have converted a room in the house to a gym, including a cedar sauna. I have also become a neat nut.

Weird ? Yeah. Since I work alone and at odd hours when I do interact with other humans I have become a "Chatty Cathy".

I would second that. I'm 20 lbs. lighter than when I was working... something about the social thing of taking lunch and business dinners. Portions are always more than you need. I was raised such that you cleaned up your plate... it was ingrained that you eat everything.

I used to speak with 15 to 20 people per day... mostly business, but there was a personal side to it as well. I miss that. I compensate by striking up conversations with merchants, cashiers, and anyone who is idle enough to talk. I come off as an outgoing person, but honestly... I just haven't had anyone to talk to all day.

I would second that. I'm 20 lbs. lighter than when I was working... something about the social thing of taking lunch and business dinners. Portions are always more than you need. I was raised such that you cleaned up your plate... it was ingrained that you eat everything.

I used to speak with 15 to 20 people per day... mostly business, but there was a personal side to it as well. I miss that. I compensate by striking up conversations with merchants, cashiers, and anyone who is idle enough to talk. I come off as an outgoing person, but honestly... I just haven't had anyone to talk to all day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW . . as long as we are standing around our symbolic water cooler, what did you think of last night's episode of "The Walking Dead" ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BTW . . as long as we are standing around our symbolic water cooler, what did you think of last night's episode of "The Walking Dead" ?

Sorry... It's a popular program that I've never been able to get into. Something about zombies that I have a hard time with. AMC puts out some good drama... I suffered "breaking bad" withdrawal when the show ended.

Maybe we should start an at the "water cooler / coffee machine / microwave" thread. I'd be there... celebrate the hausfraus that we've become... LOL.

I've found that hard water stains can be removed from your dishwasher by putting 2 tablespoons of citric acid (the same stuff used in canning) in the detergent dispenser. Run on normal cycle... bright as new. LOL.

Sorry... It's a popular program that I've never been able to get into. Something about zombies that I have a hard time with. AMC puts out some good drama... I suffered "breaking bad" withdrawal when the show ended.

It is going to be tough to fill the shoes of "Breaking Bad".

How about a new drama called "trading bad" where a savvy wolf like trader exploits the new and destined to fail novice traders he meets on-line into giving them the best trades on the planet. Heres how it works: the wolf trader eggs on his new trading sheep friends to share their position entry/exits - a little ego stoking they will be happy to provide that. The only thing left to do is to take the exact opposite side of the trade. This will all but guarantee fast and big profits. As the profits grow quickly the wolfy trader gets greedy and realizes he needs a lot more sheep - so he opens his very own brokerage - to get in new sheeps he offers massive leverage and first 50 trades for free + free trading classes on some so called new instrument like currency pairs that is advertised to turn their $500 into millions.

Aloha,

Dave

How about a new drama called "trading bad" where a savvy wolf like trader exploits the new and destined to fail novice traders he meets on-line into giving them the best trades on the planet. Heres how it works: the wolf trader eggs on his new trading sheep friends to share their position entry/exits - a little ego stoking they will be happy to provide that. The only thing left to do is to take the exact opposite side of the trade. This will all but guarantee fast and big profits. As the profits grow quickly the wolfy trader gets greedy and realizes he needs a lot more sheep - so he opens his very own brokerage - to get in new sheeps he offers massive leverage and first 50 trades for free + free trading classes on some so called new instrument like currency pairs that is advertised to turn their $500 into millions.

Aloha,

Dave

Throw in the murders of the sheep who catch on to keep the scheme alive... you may have something. Give the guy a super ego, deception, and murder... could work.

Aloha,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think if you speak to Mitsubishi he's probably already got the script drafted, revised, proof-read, and ready to shoot for this. I can see the adverts now:

TRADING BAD

The only thing more addictive than crystal meth is Profit . . .

BlueHorseshoe

Or how about Domesday Survivors on Meth - This new TV show family explodes their last dollars on their first days of currency trading but they were already on the downward spiral having already spent their 40 years of retirement savings on a tiny underground bunker, Meth, military grade assault weapons, ammo, beans, etc. Now on a meth run, broke and certain that their neighbors were collaborating to kill them to get their beans they take a plan of action that horrifies the tidy nice little town they live just outside of.

Man getting way to off track .. sorry about that..

Aloha,

Dave

I imagine that most of us who have turned the corner of profitability work from home.

Having done so for about 8 years or so I can't imagine ever going back. A seminar or 2 a year, having to make a trip to the bank, are about the extent of my having to leave the house for work.

I no longer have to hesitate a second when making personal apps during biz hours. As long as it's not on NFP, I'am good to go.

How about you? Do you enjoy working from home ? Or do you find yourself doing more work in and around the house, and less and less trading. Are there other drawbacks we are not aware of. Chime in and let us know.

be careful what you wish for.....there is a saying.......everyone is imagining working from home is the easiest way possible.........well, it is, in a way.....however, it brings with it more responsibility, long working hours (you have to prove yourself right?) and if anyone thinks success will just knock on the door on the first day than he/she must be a dreamer and nothing else

TW

be careful what you wish for.....there is a saying.......everyone is imagining working from home is the easiest way possible.........well, it is, in a way.....however, it brings with it more responsibility, long working hours (you have to prove yourself right?) and if anyone thinks success will just knock on the door on the first day than he/she must be a dreamer and nothing else

TW

Hi Trading wizzard,

I am no stranger to long hours. If I didn't like them I wouldn't be doing this that's for sure.

I guess what got me about this topic was not only the ability to work from home, but the ability to make your home almost anywhere you wanted too. For instance, my wife was recently offered a position in a part of the world where the climate is beautiful and the living conditions ideal. ( we were there, there area also had a large American expat community ). Because of my working situation , all I need is to make sure there is a dependable internet connection. For my wife, holding a job and owning a business it seems like a pipe dream.

I do enjoy working from home. i find it much better having worked at physical environments at 2 different places. Much more relaxed and easy going. But recently i have been thinking i shd do in the physical environment bt on my own basis like starting a small physical business or something. I think there shd also be some physical aspect of work in life be it small.

I also do work from home and earn a lot. It is nice to trade from home where you can work as you please.

For sure, I agree wholeheartedly. I recently got a full time job away from home, but I still log about 6 hours of work a day from home. No rest for the wicked...