Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jpennybags

Sierra Chart Vs Ninja Trader

I'm considering making a change in brokers. I've been using Sierra Chart for 3 years and I like it. Ninja Trader is a platform offered at most FCM's... Sierra Chart offerings are sparse.

I'm currently with Velocity Futures. They have been purchased by ILQ and will now become an IB. I am satisfied with Velocity order execution and commission rates. Even though I've been assured that the change will be seamless. I'm always skeptical... so, we shall see.

My question is for those who have used both platforms. Is there anything that I would miss about Sierra Chart if I were to switch to Ninja Trader?

I might add that I don't care about indicators, and I don't program automated systems.

Edited by jpennybags
Clarification

I'm considering making a change in brokers. I've been using Sierra Chart for 3 years and I like it. Ninja Trader is a platform offered at most FCM's... Sierra Chart offerings are sparse.

I'm currently with Velocity Futures. They have been purchased by ILQ and will now become an IB. I am satisfied with Velocity order execution and commission rates. Even though I've been assured that the change will be seamless. I'm always skeptical... so, we shall see.

My question is for those who have used both platforms. Is there anything that I would miss about Sierra Chart if I were to switch to Ninja Trader?

I might add that I don't care about indicators, and I don't program automated systems.

I am not familiar with Sierra so I can't reference any comparison data but I can suggest the following:

- Download and test NinjaTrader, it's free and you can connect to our Kinetick free EOD feed (NinjaTrader stock, futures and forex charting software and online trading platform. Download registration.) (Kinetick ? FREE End Of Day Market Data and Historical Market Prices)

- Join any one of our free daily live training webinars

- Watch product videos on our YouTube channel

I think if you invest a few hours in the above, you will be able to quickly tell if NinjaTrader would be a good fit for you.

I have used both and can say unequivocally that Sierra is far superior to Ninja.

Ninja caters to the brokers and third party suppliers where Sierra's concerns are the users. The proof is Sierra's response and action to user problems and Ninja's lack of action.

Also, there are many realtime bugs in Ninja. The lack of ability to chart historical bid ask data, a major issue to deciphering price momentum. Sierra is much easier to customize and its Spreadsheet feature and functions make Ninja look like an amateur traders toy rather than a serious professional's program. Just look at the lack of chart scaling flexibility in Ninja, as compared to Sierra(a basic feature needed to adjust to individual needs) as Ninja's "our way or the highway" approach to user's individual usage and needs.

Read Ninja's support forum responses to user problems compared to Sierra's and you will see their obvious limitations and lack of concern for the trader.

Edited by OrderFlowPro

Ninja caters to the brokers and third party suppliers where Sierra's concerns are the users. The proof is Sierra's response and action to user problems and Ninja's lack of action.

I would second that... Sierra support has been great. I have submitted requests for changes in the past. It always gets addressed, and incorporated if it makes sense for their product.

Read Ninja's support forum responses to user problems compared to Sierra's and you will see their obvious limitations and lack of concern for the trader.

Yes, please do. You will see that we are responsive and are there 24 x 7 to support our 40,000 plus users. Like anything, for sure there are features that NinjaTrader does not support that another platform might and the reverse of this is true as well. Do you due diligence and decide, if you choose us be comforted that you will be part of the most active and vibrant platform community for retail futures traders.

Ray (Founder and CEO)

I have used both and can say unequivocally that Sierra is far superior to Ninja.

Also, there are many realtime bugs in Ninja. The lack of ability to chart historical bid ask data, a major issue to deciphering price momentum. Sierra is much easier to customize and its Spreadsheet feature and functions make Ninja look like an amateur traders toy rather than a serious professional's program. Just look at the lack of chart scaling flexibility in Ninja, as compared to Sierra(a basic feature needed to adjust to individual needs) as Ninja's "our way or the highway" approach to user's individual usage and needs.

Agreed NT is an amateurish limited software IMO. I could only think of paper traders using that one.

Agreed NT is an amateurish limited software IMO. I could only think of paper traders using that one.

You must be right, thats why it is the most popular charting software there is! I have been using NT since 2008 and it is a great program. You can say that it is not a good fit for you or that it lacks some feature that is important to you, but its not reasonable to say that NT is "an amateurish limited software"! I am not familiar with Sierra Charts, but have heard some good things about it. There is no need to denigrate NT because you like SC better.

Hello,

I'm using both, Ninja and SC and for me, Sierra is much better than Ninja because there is all for trading with no more cost (Market profile, Volume profile, Footprint etc...) and if you need something more or another setting you just ask and they do it for you but not ninja and Sierra is cheaper than Ninja...

Sorry for my English :)

Thierry

You must be right, thats why it is the most popular charting software there is! I have been using NT since 2008 and it is a great program. You can say that it is not a good fit for you or that it lacks some feature that is important to you, but its not reasonable to say that NT is "an amateurish limited software"! I am not familiar with Sierra Charts, but have heard some good things about it. There is no need to denigrate NT because you like SC better.

I agree with you Joseph. I too have been using NT and it is a great program. I think it comes down to user preference. Learning a new platform can be a pain but both SC and NT are good choices. I prefer NT myself.

I've been using NT for several years myself, and although I too don't know much about Sierra, I have to say NT is DEFINETELY a good platform. As mentioned, NT does have some limitations. For example, the historical bid and ask data should be a given by now, you would think. It's hard to imagine such intelligent programmers neglecting such basic functionalities. But then again, they're probably not traders themselves.

Anyway, you should at least give NT a try before making your decision.

I am neither talking about SC nor am I using it. I am talking about NT. And yes, it is an amateurish platform. It has no professional value other than being a charting platform. Popular? Yeah, maybe popular for most of the "I need free charts or otherwise I need to stop trading" group of people of 3rd world regions (US is 3rd world region too now, BTW :D). No one being serious with trading would pay $1500 for this junk.

Edited by a4360884

I am neither talking about SC nor am I using it. I am talking about NT. And yes, it is an amateurish platform. It has no professional value other than being a charting platform. Popular? Yeah, maybe popular for most of the "I need free charts or otherwise I need to stop trading" group of people of 3rd world regions (US is 3rd world region too now, BTW :D). No one being serious with trading would pay $1500 for this junk.

Junk? Really! What do you consider to be a top notch "Professional" platform? Oh, and the lifetime multi-broker license is $1000.

BTW: In the strict sense a "Professional" in any category is defined as someone who gets paid to perform a service or produce a product (in our case - MONEY). To my thinking, a "Professional" is not defined by what trading platform he uses, but by whether or not he earns a living from trading. The platform that is used to accomplish this is a DISTANT second!

The platform will not transform an amateur into a professional and a professional can trade with anything and still be a professional.

Junk? Really! What do you consider to be a top notch "Professional" platform?

Yeah, junk. Contact an ophthalmologist if 4 letters are to difficult to read. What I do consider prof? The opposite of NT, for example.

Oh, and the lifetime multi-broker license is $1000.

Oh poor me, but whether it is $1000 or 1500 NT is not worth it to get my money, Mr. Salesman.

BTW: In the strict sense a "Professional" in any category is defined as someone who gets paid to perform a service or produce a product (in our case - MONEY). To my thinking, a "Professional" is not defined by what trading platform he uses, but by whether or not he earns a living from trading. The platform that is used to accomplish this is a DISTANT second!

The platform will not transform an amateur into a professional and a professional can trade with anything and still be a professional.

We are in tools to trade section here. Your blah blah's got nothing to do with the fact about the value of NT. A professional craftsman would not choose this obviously limited one http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/child-s-toy-hammer-10422684.jpg over this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Claw-hammer.jpg to knock your rotten woodworm cottage into shape. If he is really bad and brain dead then he would of course.

Edited by tradingwizzard
offensive language

Yeah, junk. Contact an ophthalmologist if 4 letters are to difficult to read. What I do consider prof? The opposite of NT, for example.

The opposite of NT? Thats a great answer!

Oh poor me, but whether it is $1000 or 1500 NT is not worth it to get my money, Mr. Salesman.

Who's a salesman here? I'm just asking you what you consider to be a professional platform and you can't answer.

We are in tools to trade section here. Your blah blah's got nothing to do with the fact about the value of NT. A professional craftsman would not choose this obviously limited one http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/child-s-toy-hammer-10422684.jpg over this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Claw-hammer.jpg to knock your rotten woodworm cottage into shape. If he is really bad and brain dead then he would of course.

Listen fanboy. If you think it is so good then use it. I have no desire at all to steal it from you :D I consider it useless. And I don't know any pro using it.

What does "fanboy" mean? If it is meant to be some form of a pejorative then I guess we can't have a civilized conversation here, which by the way is the reason for this forum. But then again forums like this can serve some people as a means of anonymously attacking other people for the sheer pleasure of it.