Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mtactm

Ultra Financial Systems

If you own the UltraFS application and it is any good, why wouldn't you just manually enter the required data to keep it up to date? Why would you need Steve Hunter?

Because it wasn't designed for that (not even in the mid-1990s) and it's a pain. So far, I've only added the S&P 500 through the end of 2013. I'm glad ULTRA allows you to add/edit data, but it was never intended for you to do daily. That's ridiculous with modern technology...and with a lifetime data subscription.

Because it wasn't designed for that (not even in the mid-1990s) and it's a pain. So far, I've only added the S&P 500 through the end of 2013. I'm glad ULTRA allows you to add/edit data, but it was never intended for you to do daily. That's ridiculous with modern technology...and with a lifetime data subscription.

Hello MKey,

I am totally agree with you..... :cool:

Thanks, MKey, for your response. Based on the dates, I was not sure if this thread had any life left in it. I was one of those individuals who bought into UltraFS shortly before Steve Hunter mysteriously disappeared. I was hoping that his absence was temporary due to various reasons and that he would return. I now accept that this is not the case. Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to evaluate UltraFS. Doing so requires a lot of experimentation. I agree that it would be tedious to manually enter the data daily. However, I see that UltraFS uses 112 datapoints on the data entry window to run its various analyses. Also, these data are available on the internet and it would be possible to automate the process to collect the data and format it for input into UltraFS. This would take some effort. Before I attempt it, can you answer my question: Is UltraFS any good and would it be worth the effort? OR Considering that this is an old application, is there some other application out there that would be better? Perhaps you or someone else here can provide some guidance.

Thanks.

It may be related to the support issues he was having:

"Since ULTRA is easy to learn up to an intermediate level, new users almost never need support. Advanced users generate 95% of our support calls.

By the end of Q3 2009, it became obvious that our support responsibilities had paralyzed the business side of ULTRA. For the previous couple of years, our jobs had become 90% just answering emails all day, about half of which never even arrived at their destinations due to spam filters. Some of these filters are at the ISP level, over which the user has no control (such as AOL.com who is the very worst offender). Because of this ULTRA had become unprofitable as a business and frankly no fun either.

We had also made very little progress with what we really wanted to do:

Making ULTRA compatible with Windows 7 ( which was a huge rewrite).

Writing our planned improvements to ULTRA, which is a massive list.

Pursuing new software product ideas, another massive list."

ULTRAFS Site Map

ULTRA Support Policiy Change Reaons

It then looks like he tried to bring in Melinda L. Brown to free up his time as well. That way he could focus on his other business projects or coding Ultra.

"---------(10:54 AM 1/26/2010)----------

In preparation for our ULTRA 11 release.

Melinda L. Brown has been hired to work

at ULTRA on a full-time basis.

Melinda a been assisting Steve Hunter

(founder of ULTRA) for many years handling

details of his non-ULTRA related business

projects. She is a proven talent who will

greatly improve the business end of ULTRA.

She will now train to become an ULTRA

expert exclusively. She will soon begin

to assist clients and once she's totally

up-to-speed with all the details of the

business side of ULTRA, she'll hire/train

a PA to assist her further improving our

ability to support our software products."

http://www.ultrafs.com/inews.txt

I guess it didn't work. I wonder if he could have made it work with a different revenue structure. But without annual software updates, and the long term subscribers having bought the lifetime data, he probably wasn't getting much from his user base every year.

Hi researcher,

I agree with your observation that a "different revenue structure" for UltraFS would have been better. The lifetime data subscription gave a big boost to revenue but was not sustainable over the long haul. It would have been better to have a modest ongoing monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and/or annual subscription fee for the data and a website to track and support the data subscribers. That would have provided a sustainable revenue stream with little effort provided that the daily data collection and posting was automated. Then he could have focused on the application improvements.

Regards, greenman92

Hi All,

Was hoping some one could help me out.

Like others I have also had problems contacting Steve. But what is worse is that I had a computer problem and had to rebuild from scratch. As such I lost my access to the Ultra application. Can anyone PM me a spare license key?

Thanks in advance.

Rie

Does anyone want Ultra 9, Ultra 10, Ultra SFO, and Ultra Sector Software?

I paid lifetime data on Ultra 9. So, the Ultra 10 software works only with Ultra 9 programs. That is no big deal, as Ultra 10 just got into over optimization programs anyway - in my opinion.

Ultra SFO is still a nice program and can be used with your own data. I paid $700 for that.

Ultra Sector was around for a few years and had the top sector rotation programs at the time around.

I paid well over $1000 during my time using Ultra software. I had used it from mid 90's through all of 2013. It is good stuff. Through Ultra I designed my own strategies that I can now run in Excel or Amibroker. You can still do that with Ultra.

As you know.....the data died in September 2013. But on it has data on the big indexes like the DOW and SP500 back to 1942. The plus is, you can build and run your programs historically up to September 2013. You could then manually walk forward to see how valid your programming would have been through current times. Some would say that is one of the right ways to system test anyway.

Ultra SFO could be used with external data (like Yahoo) up through current dates.

I do not want to SELL this ULTRA software. I will however trade it for something.

I like musical instruments. If interested, let me know what you have got.

Does anyone want Ultra 9, Ultra 10, Ultra SFO, and Ultra Sector Software?

I paid lifetime data on Ultra 9. So, the Ultra 10 software works only with Ultra 9 programs. That is no big deal, as Ultra 10 just got into over optimization programs anyway - in my opinion.

Ultra SFO is still a nice program and can be used with your own data. I paid $700 for that.

Ultra Sector was around for a few years and had the top sector rotation programs at the time around.

I paid well over $1000 during my time using Ultra software. I had used it from mid 90's through all of 2013. It is good stuff. Through Ultra I designed my own strategies that I can now run in Excel or Amibroker. You can still do that with Ultra.

As you know.....the data died in September 2013. But on it has data on the big indexes like the DOW and SP500 back to 1942. The plus is, you can build and run your programs historically up to September 2013. You could then manually walk forward to see how valid your programming would have been through current times. Some would say that is one of the right ways to system test anyway.

Ultra SFO could be used with external data (like Yahoo) up through current dates.

I do not want to SELL this ULTRA software. I will however trade it for something.

I like musical instruments. If interested, let me know what you have got.

I'm the main guy behind the website http://extradash.com. I'm looking for other systems to feature on my website and I recently learned about UFS. I tried to buy it, but there's no response. I'm wondering if anyone is willing to trade the software / formulas with me and I can try and resurrect some of it. Thanks!

I'm the main guy behind the website http://extradash.com. I'm looking for other systems to feature on my website and I recently learned about UFS. I tried to buy it, but there's no response. I'm wondering if anyone is willing to trade the software / formulas with me and I can try and resurrect some of it. Thanks!

It's not worth the time; the sales copy was better than the reality. None of the stocks systems are really worth bothering with compared to a trend following approach and they were fully disclosed in the help files so they can be coded up in TA software anyway. The only thing unique used to be the data... LT Bonds back to 1940 or so which can now be found on FRED. Some of the breadth statistics are still a bit hard to get for free. But again, they didn't do much to the systems. They're all old 80's and 90's systems back when overoptimizing was the rage; none have held up very well.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:28 AM, MachineGhost said:

It's not worth the time; the sales copy was better than the reality. None of the stocks systems are really worth bothering with compared to a trend following approach and they were fully disclosed in the help files so they can be coded up in TA software anyway. The only thing unique used to be the data... LT Bonds back to 1940 or so which can now be found on FRED. Some of the breadth statistics are still a bit hard to get for free. But again, they didn't do much to the systems. They're all old 80's and 90's systems back when overoptimizing was the rage; none have held up very well.

The only thing I'd disagree with is "compared to a trend following approach." Many Ultra systems were fully or partially trend-following.  And I haven't seen any trend-following systems (not counting over-optimized with little real-time exposure ) that have worked very well over the last 15 years. The only one I use is a simple one with a very unique filter (not found in Ultra or anywhere else to my knowledge). But the UltraFS systems are as good as any of the trend-following strategies I'm aware of.

Why Should We Invest stock?
Every one of us has a number in our hearts when we talk about retirement. So what is yours? How many percent have you achieved? None of every one of us is going to like being strapped for cash when we are past our peak earning years.
Let's talk numbers, by going through the below simply numbers calculation, you would probably agree that why should we invest. Suppose we are now 35 years old and aim to retire at age 55, and with a monthly income of $5,000 for 25 years. How much money would we need to accumulate by the time we retired at age 55? Assuming that the sum of money that we need are invested at a modest rate of return of 2.5% annually, we would need to accumulate $1,114,537 between now (at age 35) and retirement (at age 55). That will be a huge sum of money for just 20 years of savings!

Worksport Parent Company FNHI Holds  2019 Investor Call, Confirms Company Maintains $1 Million Rotating Order Book

TORONTO, (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Franchise Holdings International Inc., (OTCQB: FNHI) (or the “Corporation”) Worksport Ltd.’s parent company, warmly welcomed investors in a conference call, confirming that the company’s rotating order book has reached the $1 million range.  Worksport is an innovative manufacturer of high quality, functional, and aggressively priced tonneau/truck bed covers for light trucks like the F150, Sierra, Silverado, Canyon, RAM, and Ford F-Series.

17 hours ago, Pro_Traders said:

Worksport Parent Company FNHI Holds  2019 Investor Call, Confirms Company Maintains $1 Million Rotating Order Book

TORONTO, (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Franchise Holdings International Inc., (OTCQB: FNHI) (or the “Corporation”) Worksport Ltd.’s parent company, warmly welcomed investors in a conference call, confirming that the company’s rotating order book has reached the $1 million range.  Worksport is an innovative manufacturer of high quality, functional, and aggressively priced tonneau/truck bed covers for light trucks like the F150, Sierra, Silverado, Canyon, RAM, and Ford F-Series.

What in the world does that have to do with Ultra software? Are you a bot?