Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mtactm

Ultra Financial Systems

Does any one know this group or use their services?

I have used them over the years, but have been unable to download data from them for a few weeks

No answer to emails and phone calls are not returned

Steve Hunter is the President

They are located in Breckenbridge, Colorado

thanks

mtactm

Edited by Mysticforex

The secret of successful trading is to keep bad habits at bay and develop good ones. Here are five good forex trading habits that will help you on the road to success.

1. Be consistent

Successful traders take a structured approach: they formulate a strategy, test it and stick to it. Don’t be tempted to deviate from your strategy because you think you might be ‘missing out’ on a good trade. Remember, sticking to your proven trading strategy is what will bring results.

2. Keep up to date

World news and events have marked effects on the forex market, so make reading the news part of your trading routine. As a first step familiarise yourself with the economic announcement schedules of the countries whose currencies you trade, as well as the implications of positive or negative results. Before you place your trade, always check to see if there have been any overnight events that might affect market activity, and make sure you are aware of any pending announcements that might impact your currency pair.

3. Keep a journal

Even the most experienced forex traders are still learning how to trade forex, which means that from time to time they will need to update their trading plan. A good basis for updates is a trading journal. Keep a record of your winning and losing positions and then analyse your results later. This will help you look at your decision making process as objectively as possible. By keeping a journal, you can capitalise on your successes and avoid repeating your mistakes. Crucially, you can use what you learn from past trading activity to update and improve your trading strategy.

4. Be responsible

Even the most successful forex trader faces some losing trades. You can minimise the effects by being responsible at all times. There a number of ways to do this. First of all, determine how much you are prepared to lose – this will help you decide when to exit a failing trade. Responsible traders always placea stop loss on their trades. A stop loss is like a safety net – it will limit your loss and help you preserve your capital. Using a stop loss you can calculate ahead of time how much you stand to lose if the market moves against you. It’s also important to take full responsibility for your trading outcomes: remember, your results are based on your strategy and only inexperienced traders blame the market.

5. Make analysis your friend

Don’t let others sway you - before entering a forex trade, make sure you have studied the currency pair and the profit or loss scenarios that might lead to closing the trade. You can then build an exit strategy based on the possible consequences of closing. Above all, once you have defined your trading and exit strategies, stick to them.

Does any one know this group or use their services?

I have used them over the years, but have been unable to download data from them for a few weeks

No answer to emails and phone calls are not returned

Steve Hunter is the President

They are located in Breckenbridge, Colorado

thanks

mtactm

I've alos used their Ultra timer software and since paying for their life time data feed last year have not been able to download data from them. Are they in business anymore? Too bad if not theirs was a decent service/software for timing and testing

Did you find out anything?:confused:. I've sent emails but no answer.

Thanks

Topcat

I too am trying to find out what happened to UFS.

I am a system's developer and programmer, and several of my clients are long time UFS users who were left stranded. We cannot find any information on what is going on.

I would certainly like to hear any news you might dig up, because we are very puzzled.

You really need to switch to decaf or maybe I'm missing something here and you have some history with the two users you mentioned. :confused: I get that their post are irrelevant but that is the nature of the internet and boards and I know that frequent posters sometimes feel that it is not right that people hijack threads but ...

I just want to know if Ultrafs is still in business ( I think that was the original question on this thread) I want to know that because I paid for something I'm not getting-data feeds. Sono one should send them any money. Their site is still set up to take $s but no data.

They were in business for a decade , used to be responsive but were a small one man-two person shop but right now -I wish I was "Steve" because he Steve got money from me for downloads and then disappeared from the scene? I'm checking obits next-and no this is not a clever part of a conspiracy.

Topcat

The secret to a successful shill campaign.

1- Which one of you shillheads is Stevie?

2-Make sure you don't all look like a bunch of shills-fail

3-Dream up a really good story to hook the suckers-fail

4-Try to sound like traders- epic fail

So,4 muppets incapable of even carrying out a successful shill campaign.Beebers who's "heard" "this" and "that" even needed 2 attempts at posting ..psyched himself up for days and still couldn't do it right.:roll eyes:

Guess business is so bad Stevie can't afford a decent marketing campaign.Still,we won't forget the name -Ultra snake oil Systems.

I also have been a user and data subscriber of Ultra since they started in mid 90's with the DOS version of U31.

I have a lifetime membership for the data.

Data stopped downloading in mid- September 2013

I have called and emailed Steve Hunter a dozen times. No reply.

If anyone figures out what is going on please let me know. The data was great and so was the Ultra software.

I also have been a user and data subscriber of Ultra since they started in mid 90's with the DOS version of U31.

I have a lifetime membership for the data.

Data stopped downloading in mid- September 2013

I have called and emailed Steve Hunter a dozen times. No reply.

If anyone figures out what is going on please let me know. The data was great and so was the Ultra software.

same thing here-odd-I dont' suppose he had a facebook page where we can check-almost sounds like health problems-once when I worked for a software data firm a customer called in irate and wanted to know why Mike M had not returned her calls from Monday-had to tell her that Mike who was 42 dropped dead of a heart attack on Wed.

Originally, I thought the absence of the downloads had to do with fires in Colorado which were in the area of the state that Steve Hunter is in (of course he's up the mountain) and the same time. However, that was two months ago.

Right or wrong, I have been updating the data myself by hand (but only about 10 pieces of data per day to match one particular Composite system I am using).

Please advise if you have a better idea.

Gomez

Found this home phone number for Steve Hunter in Breckenridge, Colorado. Pretty sure it is the right Steve. I left a message on the voice mail. Maybe some more folks here could also call to see if we could get an answer to this mystery. This is very strange.

Here is is:

970-453-4830

Since Steve's website remains unchanged and his v. 11 of ULTRA has been postponed for years, I assume he was unable to accomplish his objective -- possibly for health reasons that prevent him from meeting obligations to provide data and version updates. However, you would think he could at least have someone take his website down with an announcement and apology. I strongly doubt there is anything remote to an intentional scam. Steve may simply be the victim of his own unrealistic expectations -- especially due to the SEVERE completion from big outfits, free brokerage software and limited software programming skill.

Besides, I could never find one of his systems or composite systems that backtested as well as the one I offered subscribers to my defunct business.

After data failed to download three times in 2012-13, I emailed Steve and someone fixed the problem that couldn't be fixed by following his directions. On the fourth failure this Summer, I gave up asking because I no longer need the data to backtest my system for subscribers and find little or no value in his systems. (He wrote to tell me he had to keep his poor systems in the software because some people might be using them. I offered to sell him my system but he declined, telling me that "all systems fail." I beg to disagree, using a few of the best intermediate term price trend systems since 1976 having proven to beat the market averages very well in any given five year period.)

I'm in the same boat. I've been an ULTRA user since 2004. I hadn't used in a year since my systems are already in place and don't need ULTRA for signals. However, I decided to experiment with some new things over the holidays. I couldn't D/L any new data after 01/02/2013.

I've talked with Steve in the past and he seemed like a good guy and straight shooter. I, too, worry that it may be health issues or some other crisis. I even asked him once if he had a backup plan in case something happened to him. He said he did, but apparently it hasn't worked out.

"Melinda" answered correspondence to emails with ULTRA in the subject line. I will try using my email program to do that again -- my email using the website having failed to elicit a timely response.

If I decide to offer my MNDX system as a public service or to trade with people like you, I guess I will end up doing the labor intensive task of entering NDX (only) data on a day by day basis. I suppose I could also offer that as a public service if the data update file can be copied and pasted into the Ultra folder. I wonder if it will create a new file for 2014 automatically.

No more answers from Melinda using ULTRA website or email inquiries.

L.A. Chapter of AAII has apparently discontinued a subgroup using ULTRA software and canceled the link to ultrafs.com. Seems ominous to me after they apparently made such an effort to develop composite systems and invite Steve to share v. 11 developments. No answer has been received from my inquiry to the Chapter President.

I manually updated NDX data into January 2014 and found it useful and workable. A new file for 2014 data was automatically created. ULTRA 10.32 for 64 bit computers and earlier versions provide directions for anyone to access and use Yahoo data files within ULTRA.

Best wishes, Steve, wherever you are. ULTRA helped me test my systems and helped clients evaluate them. It was a MUST HAVE testing tool for discovering performance of any system for which the seller dared to provided buy and sell signal dates. It revealed that most systems being sold are useless because the performance came at the price of huge drawdowns in portfolio value and losses so large as to be unacceptable.

If anyone hears from Steve or someone else at ULTRA, please let us know. If nothing else, I wish they could keep the data current. I hope Steve didn't have a major health issue or personal crisis. He's been running the service since the mid-90s, so ULTRA isn't a fly-by-night operation.

I signed up for lifetime data as well. When I signed up (around 2005-6), the price was the same (or almost the same) as 5 years of data. At least I've gotten my money's worth for the data...unlike some on this thread.

Some of you are able to keep Ultra updated manually?

I am using Yahoo data in the proper Ultra dat file format and Ultra does not update. Last date of run is 09/13/13.

How are you getting it to update manually? I have been an Ultra user since mid 90's.

Thanks

=======

Follow up:

Thanks NDXtrends for the reminder in how to to this in Ultra.

Edited by johnmccartney
Got the answer to my question

Found this forum by searching to try to find out what happened to Steve Hunter and Ultra. I was happy to find this thread to get some information. Ultra was/is a great system and I have learned a lot over the past year by using it. I want to thank one of the above posters for reminding me that data can be manually added. Someone else asked how to do it. It is very simple. Just go to the Data menu and select Add Data. A form will come up with the next date without data (for me this was September 12, 2013). Hit the Fill button and all the fields will populate with the day before's data. I then clear the 12 or so fields I need for my composite system and enter them. Hit Done and you are set. Everything works normally from there. I also use AmiBroker with Premium data so I was able to create an exploration to export the 12 data elements I need. I cut and past them in each day. It takes less than 2 minutes per evening.

Thanks again for the information. If anyone finds out what happened to Steve, please post it here.

Greg, I have been the same thing as you have by manually updating the data. I have to update 10 items (from the various composite systems I use) and do it by ADDing a day's data, FILLing, Accepting by Typing OK and then MODIFYing and entering my changes and typing OK.

I do not have Amibroker, so I use a spreadsheet to copy the data from the Internet before entering in UltraFS.

When there was a AAII Los Angeles UltraFS SIG, I met Steve Hunter and I thought positively about him. He did mention that the version 10 had an expiration date on it. I can't remember exactly but it was sometime in 202X. The AAII LA UltraFS SIG suspended their meetings as the leader couldn't get a hold of Steve about updates to the software, etc.

There is a gentleman in the AAII Orange County CA that has taken his composite and converted the system into a spreadsheet. This may be the way to go.

Same problem here. I've been a long time user of Ultra and had signed up several years ago for lifetime data. I remember Steve telling me that he didn't know how many more years he would keep Ultra data going after moving to Breckenridge. When I noticed they were selling Ultra 11 last summer I went ahead and purchased it hoping it might have some new ideas but it would never run on my computer with Windows 7. Melinda kept replying to me that 'there were still bugs they were working on' and it would be fixed soon. I figure that software purchase has become a donation and expect it will never be fixed.

I was exporting some of the data daily to a Metastock system I was using but manually collecting the data is a real pain.

Steve was always available before a couple years ago. When Melinda started answering my emails instead of Steve I decided Steve must have sold the business, given it to someone else to run or is having health issues. I once complained to her that the data wasn't getting updated and she tried to tell me it was my computer after they caught it up again. I guess in September they just threw in the towel.

If they are out of business they should at least take down any ability to accept sales at the website and make mention of any problems with continuing the business.

I won't go into details, but based on some social media searching, I don't think anything terrible happened to Steve. I've seen pictures of him after September 2013. He could be having health issue(s), but I wish they'd let everyone know what happened.

I'd be happy if they just updated data and did critical fixes from now on--no more new releases, updates etc.. They did that for many years -- I'm not sure why it suddenly became a burden. Then again, I'm not a programmer. Maybe it became difficult due to their data sources. Who knows?

Anyone have any more info on this Ultra disappearance mystery?

The web site is still open and still looks set up to take money.

I dealt with Steve Hunter when he first started his work as shareware in the mid 90's.

Still recall his other early works like Ultra 31, early Ultra composite testing, SFO, and Sector. He was such a stand up guy. Hard to believe his legacy is ending like this.

I have tried calling too and get a recorded message as if they are still in business.

Never get a reply from phone calls or emails.

Hopefully someone here knows the final story.

Hopefully someone here knows the final story.

I'm afraid not. This thread is about a year old and 4 pages long. If there were a simple explanation, we should've received it by now.