Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

[Understanding the TICK Part 2]

Just a remake of the original understanding the TICK video using the newer a Camtasia version.

Sample uses a 3 minute line on close and candlestick TICK chart. Taking TICK fades when both the line on close and candlestick line up is a higher probability setup than just using the line on close TICK chart.

CLICK HERE TO VIDEO

Charts created by Tradestation

Excellent video Soultrader. Do you think you could get the same results by ignoring the line on close and just focussing on candlesticks? It seems to me that a tick hook is represented in a candlestick chart as a red candle followed by a green candle. You could use traditional candlestick analysis to get better signals e.g. a series of red candles followed by a bullish engulfing candle would be the same as a tick hook but easier to spot and maybe a more powerful indicator. A series of red candles followed by a hammer would have the same interpretation. I've always seen the TICK as just for scalpers but after seeing this video I may look at it again on higher time frames because it may be useful for timing entries on longer term positions. Thanks.

Interesting point notouch. In terms of TICK fades, candlestick TICK charts may work better. The line on close chart I personally need because of the visual aspect of it. But if you are able to identify a hook on the candlestick chart this should work as well. I do enjoy the combination of a TICK hook and a TICK fade on the candlestick chart. Seems like a double confirmation technique to me.

Perhaps you can try a combination of bearish engulfing and a TICK hook on a line on close. Obviously the amount of signals you will get will decrease. I think the most important thing with TICK strategies is that it should be used in combination with price and not as a stand alone entry/exit method.

this is one reason NOT to use Tradestation for the TICK charting (i use TS, quotetracker, and investor RT)

TS does not offer a line chart, only a line on close chart. thus, you cannot see the exact values for ticks.

much better (imo) to chart ticks with a line chart vs. a lineonclose chart, because you get the exact readings (like you would with a a OHLC chart) but can also see the exact movement up and down

this is one reason NOT to use Tradestation for the TICK charting (i use TS, quotetracker, and investor RT)

TS does not offer a line chart, only a line on close chart. thus, you cannot see the exact values for ticks.

much better (imo) to chart ticks with a line chart vs. a lineonclose chart, because you get the exact readings (like you would with a a OHLC chart) but can also see the exact movement up and down

dalby

Just curious, so what is your line price based on? Could you post a chart?

Cheers

Blu-Ray

my "line price"?

i'm not sure what u mean

TS does not offer (as far as i know) a LINE chart

it only offers line on Close.

a line chart lets you see the exact tick readings, but in line format.

Guest cooter

Can you post an example so we can see what you are trying to describe, dalby?

I'm having issues visualizing the difference, since you can plot a 1 tick chart in TS to see the tick by tick price action. Try it.

Guest cooter

Well, grok this, dalby: ;)

Every time the $TICK (or any symbol) updates, a tick is created in TS. This is stored as tick data.

Whether there is Volume ("trades" as you call it) for that tick is a different matter.

So, here's a pic of a 1 tick chart, and a 2 tick chart in TS. The 1 tick chart defaults to a line chart, as the screen capture clearly shows.

(The resolution may be squished, so you might have to enlarge it to confirm it for yourself if its not clear).

attachment.php?attachmentid=1355&stc=1&d=1177827575

Even though there is NO volume captured for each tick in certain symbols, such as $TICK, the chart clearly shows what you were referring to.

Same with a 2 tick chart or greater, except that you can also plot bars and candlesticks as well.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1356&d=1177827588

Hope this makes it clearer.

5aa70dd39fe68_TICK_1-tick-chart.thumb.PNG.992c53bf74487cc32f146593aa8dd515.PNG

5aa70dd3a7655_TICK_2-tick-chart.thumb.PNG.fd1ea767ed691550065a0242f00bc88e.PNG

ok.

pretty ugly and hard to work with though, since the 1 tick chart will scroll across the screen pretty quickly and still not serve the purpose

im a late comer to ts. i use qtracker and investor R/T as well. i can't understand why TS does not have a basic line chart, but it doesn't

the line chart is the only way to SEE a true tick hook, and the exact tick levels over time, since the pattern is "hidden" within a candle, and the line on close does not give each discrete value

Guest cooter
dalby

Just curious, so what is your line price based on? Could you post a chart?

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Blu-Ray,

Keep asking dalby. He'll just run his mouth on and on about the difference. Yet he can't even bother to post a single chart to show us what he really means.

Typical...

IB charts have the option for a line chart which is similar to what dalby referred to. It's basically a line on close chart that's updated every one second. One minute line on close charts seem of questionable value to me because the TICK can vary so much within a single minute but the only value you get on the chart is at the close of each minute.

Guest cooter
IB charts have the option for a line chart which is similar to what dalby referred to. It's basically a line on close chart that's updated every one second. One minute line on close charts seem of questionable value to me because the TICK can vary so much within a single minute but the only value you get on the chart is at the close of each minute.

notouch,

That makes more sense to me. Either you update on each tick, or on a prescribed interval, every second, 6 seconds, 15 seconds or 1 minute or greater.

Having a minute line chart that somehow has the granularity to show ALL the tick hooks occuring in that minute bar is what is escaping me. The lowest fixed timed granularity in TS is a minute; you'd probably need a lower fixed time scale to see it all.

i've never posted a single chart

sorry

is it that difficult to understand the difference between a line chart, and a line on close.

sorry, if i'm running my mouth

if you want to ignore me, feel free

it's not that complex a topic. you should be able to understand it. engage brain. disengage rhetoric.

hth

cooter, is spot on. btw, quotetracker (besides having a line chart) also allows you to draw candles based on a fraction of a minute. there is no discrete minute interval required.

i lurv TS, but the lack of a line chart is a drawback

dalby

Apologies in advance if I've missed something, but let me get this straight...

You say your line chart is not a line on close chart, but after every set interval, eg 1 minute, it has to give an end value of that minute, so what is that price based on?

Is it based on a line on close chart but the actual minute at present fluctuates as price of the TICK fluctuates.. if so then that's the same as TS.

Hope this makes sense

Blu-Ray

dalby,

Just answering the questions would help not only the people actively involved in the thread but also lurkers just reading. What is a line chart? If you have a 1min line chart up, how is that different to a 1min line on close? The only difference I can see is the most recent interval is updated more often. But at the end of the interval it needs to print a value. What is that value? The close? An average of OHLC? What?

as videos by carter, hubert et al recognize, TS's line on close chart does NOT show every value. for example, if tick spikes up to 1200, the line on close often will not show anywhere near that extreme. the OHLC will (or candle etc.)

to confirm this - setup a line on close chart and a OHLC chart for the tick. compare and contrast

see? the extremes are caught by the OHLC but NOT the loc chart

the line chart (as opposed to lineonclose) does not give a closing value every minute (the line chart NOT the line on close chart). i don;'t know why u are assuming that. i never said it did, and i see no reason why you would assume that. it continually updates, as the tick does - just like the OHLC does (but of course it's a line chart not a OHLC so you can see the movement).

that's the difference.

if u set up a line chart next to a line on close, you can clearly see the difference. and like i said, the fact that the extremes on the OHLC chart are NOT represented on the lineonclose chart is proof enough.

i think a lot of TS users assume (wrongly) that TS line on close chart is the way line charts work. that is false. that is the way line on close charts work.

there is an astounding difference

dalby is absolutely right about the line charts. I suppose the perfect one would update with every tick but the IB one updates every second. There is no "end of interval" if it's tick-by-tick but if it's every second then obviously it would print the value it has each second. If anyone's that interested I'll post a video tomorrow of a TICK line chart that updates every second. I'm sure you can all appreciate what it look like though - total chaos.

Guest cooter

notouch,

Yes, since dalby either can't or won't illustrate what he is referring to with at least a pic, I'd appreciate it if you would aid him in his quest to explain to us what he really means.

thxs

Guest cooter
Thanks dalby, so would I be right in saying that a line chart is not time based? Every time a new value comes in it is plotted. Simple as that?

If that's case, the pic above (1 tick chart) seems to fit my understanding of what he's getting at.