Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

handle

Applying Joe Ross Trading Methods

I had taken a 3 day private tutoring session with Joe Ross in 2011. Up until that time, I was struggling as a trader. After taking the private session with Joe, I have started to make money trading.

While I am not able to share the methods that Joe Ross taught me, I would like to share my trading log with you in order to keep myself focused and disciplined.

I would appreciate any discussion, comments, or questions that you may have. I am continually humbled by the markets on my path to becoming a more profitable trader.

Thank you.

I had taken a 3 day private tutoring session with Joe Ross in 2011. Up until that time, I was struggling as a trader. After taking the private session with Joe, I have started to make money trading.

While I am not able to share the methods that Joe Ross taught me, I would like to share my trading log with you in order to keep myself focused and disciplined.

I would appreciate any discussion, comments, or questions that you may have. I am continually humbled by the markets on my path to becoming a more profitable trader.

Thank you.

Hi, nice of you to post your log....what would also help struggling traders is if you would provide an approximate budget...so that they can have a realistic idea of what an effective education costs....

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for your reply. I can attest that having a mentor is very important especially if someone is struggling. I paid a few thousand dollars for a private session. Paying for someone's time runs on the more expensive side, but will save you money in the long run.

Trade:

Contract: CL

Entry Signal: Short

Entry Price: 106.77 (red triangle)

Exit Price: 106.67 (green triangle) Target

Entry Time: 9:16 CST

Ticks: +10

5r00.jpg

Trade Results: 1 Trade. 1 Win / 0 Losses. Ratio: 100%. Ticks: +10

Trade:

Entry Price: 106.77 (red triangle)

Exit Price: 106.67 (green triangle) Target

Entry Time: 9:16 CST

5r00.jpg

Trade Results: 1 Trade. 1 Win / 0 Losses. Ratio: 100%. Ticks: +10

Well done Handle

This for real money?

regards

bobc

Trade:

Entry Price: 106.13 (red triangle)

Exit Price: 106.03 (green triangle) Target

Entry Time: 8:00 AM CST

ty95.jpg

Trade Results: 2 Trades. 2 Wins / 0 Losses. Ratio: 100%. Ticks: +20

Trade:

Entry Price: 106.13 (red triangle)

Exit Price: 106.03 (green triangle) Target

Entry Time: 8:00 AM CST

ty95.jpg

Trade Results: 2 Trades. 2 Wins / 0 Losses. Ratio: 100%. Ticks: +20

Hi Handle

RUBBISH

no regards

bob

handle,

Have you read Ross's books?

thx.

zdo

Hi Handle

RUBBISH

no regards

bob

boy you must be in a really bad mood capt Bob. He is trying to get a handle on the market...what happened to a little encouragement? Its a hard world you know..........

handle,

Have you read Ross's books?

thx.

zdo

zdo,

Yes. I read Daytrading, Trading Is a Business, and Trading By the Book. After reading them, I was so confused that I emailed Joe Ross about them. After many back and forth emails, and a third party's recommendation, I decided to go meet him for a private 3 day session. He straightened me out trading wise, and I began making money as a trader.

In order to stay disciplined and focused, I thought that posting my daily trading log would help me follow my trading plan.

Thank you.

Tony

Hi Bob,

Is this the same bobc that was complimentary the other day?

Tony

yes same capt Bob..planets probally lined up more positive the other day...hence a different response..

Trade:

Contract: GC

Entry Price: 1288.4 (red triangle)

Exit Price: 1287.4 (green triangle) Target

Entry Time: 7:55 CST

lyjt.jpg

Trade Results: 3 Trades. 3 Wins / 0 Losses. Ratio: 100%. Ticks: +30

zdo,

Yes. I read Daytrading, Trading Is a Business, and Trading By the Book. After reading them, I was so confused that I emailed Joe Ross about them. After many back and forth emails, and a third party's recommendation, I decided to go meet him for a private 3 day session. He straightened me out trading wise, and I began making money as a trader.

In order to stay disciplined and focused, I thought that posting my daily trading log would help me follow my trading plan.

Thank you.

Tony

handle,

re: "After reading them, I was so confused". What was confusing to you in the books?

Some questions about his training (, not his trading...)

How is his personal instruction different from his books?

In his personal instructing,

1 ) does he have a progression from the 'beginner training' mode of taking a 'fixed' x number of ticks from each entry (ex: looks like you're taking 10 from cl ) to larger and variable 'targets' ? ... and

2 ) does he (progressively or not ) add any 'filtering' to taking the signals into his training.?

Thanks.

zdo

Edited by zdo

handle,

re: "After reading them, I was so confused". What was confusing to you in the books?

Some questions about his training (, not his trading...)

How is his personal instruction different from his books?

In his personal instructing,

1 ) does he have a progression from the 'beginner training' mode of taking a 'fixed' x number of ticks from each entry (ex: looks like you're taking 10 from cl ) to larger and variable 'targets' ? ... and

2 ) does he (progressively or not ) add any 'filtering' to taking the signals into his training.?

Thanks.

zdo

zdo,

For me, the books seemed hard to follow. I thought they were informative, but not specific enough for me to trade from. The concepts on management, wisdom, patience, etc. were very helpful for the mental part of trading. But I needed more. I was new to trading and trading seemed like a foreign language to me.

In his personal training, he:

1. scalps for daytrading. For swing and longer term trading he lets the market take him out with a trailing stop. I only daytrade so am scalping only.

2. He does not use indicators or filters, but he teaches discretionary trading, which by definition uses experience and intuition as built in filters. He does not take some trades that I take, for example, because he did not like the way it looked. His win ratio is better than mine, but my ratio has a positive expectation and is sufficient enough to make money.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Tony

handle,

Thanks for the info. I’m curious because I read Ross in the early 90’s and didn’t get much out of it for “discretionary” trading… however, later I did circle back to some of his (very code-able) ‘patterns’ for intraday automation setups. Imo, beginning short time frame traders are not wasting their time studying Joe’s work…

You’re lucky you have the pre-existing aptitudes and inclinations to be able to see ‘mkt representations’ (ie charts, etc.) very similar to how he sees them. Most one on one trainings, actually most of all trading education, is rarely a match with the trainee’s true nature… (but can always be seen as a stepping stone… :) )

…and meanwhile, the anti-vendor detractors will pop in to essentially say ‘if it ain’t good for everybody, it ain’t any good for anybody”…

Repeating an earlier question ( – re the “scalps”)

"In his personal instructing,

1 ) does he have a progression from the 'beginner training' mode of taking a 'fixed' x number of ticks from each entry (ex: looks like you're taking 10 from cl ) to larger and variable 'targets' ?"

Thanks

All the best.

zdo

handle,

Thanks for the info. I’m curious because I read Ross in the early 90’s and didn’t get much out of it for “discretionary” trading… however, later I did circle back to some of his (very code-able) ‘patterns’ for intraday automation setups. Imo, beginning short time frame traders are not wasting their time studying Joe’s work…

You’re lucky you have the pre-existing aptitudes and inclinations to be able to see ‘mkt representations’ (ie charts, etc.) very similar to how he sees them. Most one on one trainings, actually most of all trading education, is rarely a match with the trainee’s true nature… (but can always be seen as a stepping stone… :) )

…and meanwhile, the anti-vendor detractors will pop in to essentially say ‘if it ain’t good for everybody, it ain’t any good for anybody”…

Repeating an earlier question ( – re the “scalps”)

"In his personal instructing,

1 ) does he have a progression from the 'beginner training' mode of taking a 'fixed' x number of ticks from each entry (ex: looks like you're taking 10 from cl ) to larger and variable 'targets' ?"

Thanks

All the best.

zdo

zdo,

He does not view scalping as 'beginner training'. He views intraday trading or day trading as a scalping environment, so fixed targets. The larger and variable 'targets' are for interday or swing trading. He teaches both targets depending on your time frame and risk tolerance.

Thank you.

Tony

zdo,

He does not view scalping as 'beginner training'. ...

I understand . Thanks for clarifying.

I was using the term 'beginner training' based off his previously published materials and forum postings in reference, not to the scalping methods, but to the setting profit targets (and stops) parts and the question was about what he is teaching now vs what he was teaching then...

So alternate reply to

zdo,

He does not view scalping as 'beginner training'. ...

would be

maybe not anymore... but it still seems that

He does view scalping as the 'starting point'

I understand . Thanks for clarifying.

I was using the term 'beginner training' based off his previously published materials and forum postings in reference, not to the scalping methods, but to the setting profit targets (and stops) parts and the question was about what he is teaching now vs what he was teaching then...

So alternate reply to

would be

maybe not anymore... but it still seems that

He does view scalping as the 'starting point'

zdo,

I am not sure if he used to teach something differently. I do know that for daytrading he scalps or picks his target. Maybe in his prior education, he did not discuss daytrading.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Tony

Trade:

Contract: GC

Entry Price: 1310.7 (red triangle)

Exit Price: 1309.7 (green triangle) Target

Entry Time: 7:48 CST

n6wt.jpg

Trade Results: 4 Trades. 4 Wins / 0 Losses. Ratio: 100%. Ticks: +40