Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Url.dll Error - Help!

On one of my laptops that has not been used for a few weeks, I get the dreaded blue screen when booting up. The windows XP main screen thing comes up and then when it looks like it's going to go into windows, I get a blue screen that says something like: the image url.dll is possibly corrupt. check header checksum does not match.

That is paraphrased b/c the blue screen does not last long.

Then windows tries to reboot (never actually getting into the windows screen) and it does this over and over w/ no end in sight.

Can I fix something on my end or is this a take your computer in type thing?

Thanks!

I'm not a techie myself, so mighty google has to do the trick for me ;)

Looks like you have to reinstall your Windows or replace the file.

Check out the first couple of links here. This is a link to the microsoft support pages giving a short description.

Watch out that you don't delete your files while reinstalling. To secure your files first, check whether you can make a boot cd, boot from there and save your stuff then. If you don't get your system running to access your files, download a version of Knoppix and secure your files from there.

Good luck!

BF...if you have instant messenger look me up. I'll throw a few thoughts your way then. The first thing to try is to try safemode...press F8 during the bootup to see if you can get into windows. That tells you if windows is corrupt or if it's an additional software issue more less.

If you can boot in safe mode as MC says then you can try and restore your pc to an earlier time which may solve the issue. The other possibility is that if there is no data that you wish to keep then you should be able to reinstall the original image. The instructions for doing this should have been available when you purchased the laptop.

Paul

Update - after googling till my eyes hurt, found 2 sites that helped.

http://www.pcbanter.net/archive/index.php/t-91011.html

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1062279245

In the end I got into the computer but it will be reformatted shortly.

What I did was rename the url.dll file (and subsequently the urlmon.dll), copy the clean .dl_ files, rename to .dll files. This computer is a Compaq and the files on their disk are .dl_ files (which took awhile to figure out).

It's running but getting some .dll error messages on reboot, but I can at least get in and take what I need, which is not much. The main thing was getting into my Outlook and getting what I needed there which I am still working on as getting an error message there too...

:doh:

Note - this is exactly why I store everything on an external hard drive (well, most everything). I learned this lesson before and since then I have an external hard drive hooked up to a main desktop that is always running. Then I save pretty much everything to that hard drive and can easily unplug it and go if I need to.

:thumbs up: