Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Recommended Router for Trading

I may be changing out a few things here on the computers and thought now is a as good a time as any to look at a new router.

Since we have some handy tech members on the forum, looking for ideas on a strong, stable router that can easily handle trading app's. I currently have a netgear that works fine but I read this post on ET that talked about older routers being capped out. Not sure if that is 100% accurate or not, but if it is, I should consider a new one. In that thread, someone mentioned this site that reviews routers so I was glancing at that as well for some ideas.

I'm looking for the best router out there that can handle speed and push the data through ASAP.

Please list your recommendations here!

Thanks!

BF: Try Xincom's stuff. They combine DSL and cable connections in one box that provides combined speeds, fail-over and redundancy. Can't beat that.

Does it matter that I only have a cable connection? Would I be paying for something that would not be used?

My backup is a Verizon wireless card. I know, not the greatest but for my current home location, it's what is available.

To receive the full benefit of a Xincom router you must have two (2) highspeed connections. The peace of mind you get is exceptional and the speed is friggin' ridiculous.

I can imagine. I've read about these before.

When we move again, I am going to be doing a little more research on the internet options available in locations before deciding. I didn't think that far in advance when we bought this place.

There is plenty more you can do to speed up Firefox. I found this tutorial on a Linux site, but the tweaks are relevant to the browser not to the OS so go ahead and use them in Windows as well.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-firefox-web-browser.html

The tutorial is written, not in video format but it is much more detailed with many more methods of optimising Firefox for speed and efficiency. I have implemented all of them and the difference is incredible.

Actualyl, I will reproduce this in a new thread also ... I nearly didn't read this one as I don't need a new router!

I may be changing out a few things here on the computers and thought now is a as good a time as any to look at a new router.

Since we have some handy tech members on the forum, looking for ideas on a strong, stable router that can easily handle trading app's. I currently have a netgear that works fine but I read this post on ET that talked about older routers being capped out. Not sure if that is 100% accurate or not, but if it is, I should consider a new one. In that thread, someone mentioned this site that reviews routers so I was glancing at that as well for some ideas.

I'm looking for the best router out there that can handle speed and push the data through ASAP.

Please list your recommendations here!

Thanks!

Cisco routers are the industry's top of the line. Cisco bought Linksys who make "home" use routers and modems of great quality and technology. Buy the Linksys model that has the features you need.

The bits of wire between your pc and your ISP's internet backbone are equaly important for speed. Use good quality cable and google "speetdtest" to check your speeds.

If your area has both cable and DSL, getting both will give you redundancy and you should never be off the air.

Finally, I buy my computers in pairs and ensure that my backup pc is always the same as trading pc. Switching between them every week-end helps do this. I use multiple monitors so that's not an issue.

Edited by momentom
typo

I'll try to explain some of the terms you'll come across when shopping for a router.

cable/dsl ------[MODEM]------[ROUTER]------[sWITCH]------[computer-1]

......................................... [..."..]------[computer-2]

..........................................[..."..]------[computer-3]

(A)............(B)..........©...........(D)

(A) this should be the slowest link, the wire from your cable or phone/DSL provider.

Multiple phone extensions/answering/fax machines can cause interference when

DSL is shared with a telephone line. Consider using a POTS SPLITTER and running

a dedicated line to your modem.

(B) The Modem negotiates the best speed with a corresponding modem at the

cable or phone company premises. A modem should provide some diagnostic when its incoming signal quality is degraded (like an Led that blinks yellow instead of solid green if you have a poor signal.) Some modems can connect directly to one computer, but it is more common to connect the modem to a router. In most cases the Route and Switch are in the same box. Sometimes the Modem, Router, and Switch are combined.

© The Router provides a network; it routes data your home network to the ISP network. A modern router should provide FIREWALL functionality. A good FIREWALL will say it does SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection.) Routing and Firewall doesn't require much cpu capability, but better routers generally have faster CPUs. The CPU power is needed when the router supports VPN connections. VPNs enable encrypted networks to run on top of regular networks. An employer might provide a router with VPN support to connect to networks behind a corporate firewall. Routers can typically be customized using the web browser of a locally attached computer.

(D) The switch supports the connection of multiple devices to a network. Typically the switch is embedded within a router. You'll only know its there because the router has 4,6,or 8 RJ45 jacks (where you plug the wire from your computer.) The words you want to see on a switch are FULL DUPLEX and AUTO SPEED. A slow switch (or a HUB which is even more simple than a switch) only allows one device to "talk" in one direction at one time. A fast switch will allow multiple devices to send data 2-ways and slower devices won't impact the speed of faster devices.

There are so many good routers made by Cisco (Linksys), Netgear, D-Link, SonicWall, its hard for me to single one out. I have a Netgear FVS318G router/firewall connected to a DSL modem. From there a long CAT5E ethernet cable runs to my office where I have a Netgear GS108 switch and an EnGenius ECB3500 wireless access point.

I recommend staying with the modem that the ISP provides because its unlikely their tech support will be helpful if you're using different hardware.

Does it matter that I only have a cable connection? Would I be paying for something that would not be used?

My backup is a Verizon wireless card. I know, not the greatest but for my current home location, it's what is available.

Try MIkrotik.

They combine multiple links whatever you want (not being a modem, though) with a lot of high end features if they ever come in handy. Need to know what you are doing, though (i.e. not ane end user stuff).

I use them to link 2-3 locations to a backbone in a data center with MPLS fast routing, load balancing over multiple connections (currently 3 in the head office where I also trade from), full quality of service and central management ;) The price for the item we use int the head office was below 150 USD (450G model), the data center core uses an 1100AH for around 800 USD.