Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

PC Power?

2 Questions:

Do you guys turn off your computer at the end of each day or just shut down your monitors?

Do you run an outside power supply with your pc?

2 Questions:

Do you guys turn off your computer at the end of each day or just shut down your monitors?

Do you run an outside power supply with your pc?

I would shut it down personally for power consumption reasons as well as security. Be sure to have a startup password for windows.

By outside supply do you mean a UPS?

If so I would say 100% get one. A nice model is the BR1500 from APC.

It's reasonable and will give you the most juice you can get out of a standard household style receptacle. It should give you enough time for a computer shutdown in an emergency and better yet it will clean up and regulate the voltage. If you have spikes OR dips this unit does AVR and will deliver your comp clean 120v power.

I think I owe you an apology, you pm'ed me and I forgot I said I would respond and got lost in my scatterbrain. Any other questions drop em in here and I'll be sure to read the thread updates since I'm subscribed now. ;)

My broker doesn't supply historical data, that's why I'm leaving my computer on.

I hope it doesn't consume a lot of power, I've got good components in there because I built it to be silent that should help a little.

My broker doesn't supply historical data, that's why I'm leaving my computer on.

I hope it doesn't consume a lot of power, I've got good components in there because I built the it to be silent that should help a little.

A typical PC draws about 300-400 watts. So it's like like leaving 4 lamps run with 100 watt bulbs. It's not going to break the bank. ;)

A side benefit would be leaving it running reduces the jolt of power you get on initial startup which is rumored to reduce component wear inside. :)

Thanks for the info mcichocki.

The only thing that draws a lot of power in my rigg is the graphics card.

Got a PSU with high efficiency, mobile CPU(dothan) and notebook HD in there.

I hope I don't exceed 200, I maybe not even 100, but no idea since I never measured it.

Thanks for the info mcichocki.

The only thing that draws a lot of power in my rigg is the graphics card.

Got a PSU with high efficiency, mobile CPU(dothan) and notebook HD in there.

I hope I don't exceed 200, I maybe not even 100, but no idea since I never measured it.

Oh you have a laptop or micro desktop pc?

That should be much less power draw then. A big 17" laptop uses a 90-120 watt ac adapter so draw is less than that.

It's a "micro" desktop, although it is still larger than what I had in mind when I bought it. The board is a microATX, a smaller case probably would have been even more of a pain to assemble. I've also got a mini ITX but not using it anymore, just too sloooow and noisy(small fans).

Erm kinda off topic :D.

what about a less expensive power supply...

the computer says it supplies 300 watts...what level of wattage should i look for?

also, what other things to add or install on the new pc?

1) depends on what you put into your computer

2) depends on the efficiency of your PSU

I've got a Seasonic, quiet and efficient and I think also not too expensive.

Edit: But the one you've been recommend seems like a good choice as well.

Edited by Sparrow

what about a less expensive power supply...

the computer says it supplies 300 watts...what level of wattage should i look for?

also, what other things to add or install on the new pc?

Power supply and UPS are 2 different things.

Power supply as typically used is the device used to supply power to your computer from the wall. It's an internal component of your computer.

A UPS is a battery backup to give you runtime in the event of power failure.

The BR1500 I mentioned is a UPS not a "power supply". This is external and is an added option.

how hard is it to get the power supply operating? there are a ton on cords and such...looks complicated

You need to connect all your drives inside to the power supply, connect the power supply to the motherboard (usually 2 maybe 3 connectors nowadays) and then plug the cord into the wall...its simple. Most the cords on the inside you won't need.