Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Technical Analysis The technical discussion forum for traders.

View Poll Results: Which Momentum Oscillator Should I use for My Traderslaboratory Trading System
CCI 5 12.50%
Momentum 4 10.00%
Rate of Change 0 0%
RSI 14 35.00%
Stochastics 8 20.00%
Williams %R 3 7.50%
Other 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. This poll is closed

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #1

Ignore this user

Trend & Momentum - Indicators of Choice

Lately, I see many posts/threads here at Traderslaboratory about traders who are struggling, wondering if they should give up and quit, wondering why they can't "get it."

I would like to try to help.

I am going to put together an indicator trading system and trading plan in real time here at Traderslaboratory.com

I want input from fellow posters/lurkers as to which indicators I should use.

I need one indicator to major trend, and one indicator to determine minor trend, which I consider most visible using a momentum oscillator.

I am going to try to post a poll. Please vote for your preferred indicator. In this poll, we will determine which momentum oscillator I will use to build the system. If you vote "other," please post in the thread which "other" you are suggesting.

As for the major trend indicator, that will be another poll. But if anyone would wish to make a suggestion for an indicator to include in that poll, please post your suggestions here.

Thank you for your participation.

-OT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to optiontimer For This Useful Post:
Carpet Cleaner (06-12-2011), Ingot54 (06-10-2011), Matt C (06-09-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: Trend & Momentum - Indicators of Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiontimer »
... If you vote "other," please post in the thread which "other" you are suggesting...
I see we have one vote for RSI, and one vote for "Other." If you choose to participate in the poll by voting "Other," take one extra moment and post the name of the indicator you'd suggest.

Thank You,

-OT
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Sky Blocks Champion

Ignore this user

other - its not an oscilator, more an alert - the classic Donchian channel.
Personally I favour a weekly mid point Donchain channel applied on a daily chart to help determine the trend - above indicates trend is likely to be up, below trend down - more than anything a cross over indicates alert to watch for other entries
The Following User Says Thank You to SIUYA For This Useful Post:
optiontimer (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUYA »
other - its not an oscilator, more an alert - the classic Donchian channel. Personally I favour a weekly mid point Donchain channel applied on a daily chart to help determine the trend - above indicates trend is likely to be up, below trend down - more than anything a cross over indicates alert to watch for other entries
Thank you, SIUYA. My intention is to use the oscillator which we are currently in the process of selecting as an overbought/oversold indicator that will be the alert we will use to watch price for an entry. I would consider the Donchian channel, and I assume you would agree, to be an indicator useful in determining overall trend. From your post, I feel that you too hold that view. The next poll will choose the particular indicator we will use to determine the overall trend, and I will include the Donchian Channel amongst the choices. Thank you for your very good suggestion.

Thank You,

-OT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to optiontimer For This Useful Post:
Ingot54 (06-10-2011), SIUYA (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

Ignore this user

My preferred "indicator" is my skill at reading momentum (reading the tape) I use the NYSE Tick, and the Time& Sales Strip primarily. The Tick is a very powerful tool when used correctly, as is T&S...each one shows a different aspect of momentum. The TICK displays the broad market's strength or weakness, and the T&S displays all kinds of information about the speed at which transactions are being executed (helpful when you want to indentify programmed execution). The "roll" of the tape (the speed and quality of the movement can be interpreted to provide information about the way that price movements are either accepted or rejected by the broad market. For traders interested in learning to use these tools, the challenges are A.) finding someone who knows HOW to interpret the tick/T&S strip combination and B.) learning to understand the language used to describe the action in a useful way......I have seen several books on the subject, none of which provide anything even remotely useful....from my point of view this is probably going to be a lost art at some point in the near future as few are interested in taking the time to learn ( it might take from several months to several years to really master the technique) and I have only seen one person in the last 10 years who really knew how to read it well (and could describe it in a way that was understandable). As a final note, reading the tape is just part of the process...once a trader learns the basic skills, then the process of putting the action in context starts..(there are seasonal contexts, as well as short term contexts down to the hour of day that matter in terms of interpreting the action). The upside for the trader who is successful at learning to "read the tape" is that you then have a very high probability way of entering a position.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Ignore this user

ergodic oscillator
Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #7

Ignore this user

I like stochrsi.However I am among the least knowledgeable in this field
jwdcollins
Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #8

Ignore this user