Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

six

Linear Regression Channels

Hello.

Is there anyone who can help me with the number of bars necessary for the calculation of Linear Regression Channels for a daily chart and for a 5 - minute chart. Is there a figure that is typically used for these charts.

Thank you, --six

I'm no expert on linear regression channels, but a guy that I respect uses a 30 day channel. I've heard that using statistics to describe a set of data, 30 numbers are a minimum to have a sample that is beyond chance.

I think you could use 30 on a daily or 5 minute chart. You could go with a higher number, but I wouldn't go any lower.

I'm no expert on linear regression channels, but a guy that I respect uses a 30 day channel. I've heard that using statistics to describe a set of data, 30 numbers are a minimum to have a sample that is beyond chance.

I think you could use 30 on a daily or 5 minute chart. You could go with a higher number, but I wouldn't go any lower.

Thanks, ericmoles, for your response. Your comments regarding statistics make a lot of sense and are helpful. You got me to think about the number of data required to create a relevant, reliable sample. I noticed that the default on my software program is set to 38 which is in line with what you stated.

--six

No problem. I've also heard that if 30 is a minimum, 100 would be a better sample size in a data set.

I'd say experiment with varying lengths above 30 and see what seems to fit more often.