Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Mr.Money

Entry using pivot points

Hello guys

I've been watching pivot points for quite some time now and I beleive price pretty much reacts when it reach to these levels. I would like to know how do you guys use them for entry. Do you fade the pivot with a resting (stop) order already in place? I trade ES and I use practically all the leves (daily, weekly and monthly) as well as daily midpoints.

By the way, this is a wonderful site. Congratulations.

Frank

Hello guys

I've been watching pivot points for quite some time now and I beleive price pretty much reacts when it reach to these levels. I would like to know how do you guys use them for entry. Do you fade the pivot with a resting (stop) order already in place? I trade ES and I use practically all the leves (daily, weekly and monthly) as well as daily midpoints.

By the way, this is a wonderful site. Congratulations.

Frank

Hi Frank,

It's good to keep in mind that Pivot Points are only PROJECTED areas of support or resistance. It's not the level itself but the level and what price (and volume) does near, at, or just beyond it.

I would take a browse through the Volume Spread Analysis threads on the board to get a better understanding of what to look for at these pivot levels.

:)

Welcome Frank, like Mr. Paul mentioned VSA in combination with pivots can offer excellent entry exit signals.

Pivot points are like any other technical S&R levels. Price will sometimes bounce at these levels, break and go right through, or chop around. The key would be to not take trades blindly at these levels but to wait for a technical setup to appear at these levels.

In the past, I used pivots exclusively and one other way to determine if the pivot was playable or not was to look at internals as well. Also note that pivot point clusters zones tend to work fairly well. These are levels where daily, weekly, monthly pivots cluster up. Add a few market profile levels as well and you have a very interesting S&R cluster level.

Thanks a lot Mr. Paul and Soultrader

I read the VSA thread (Tingull's thread) and some others about market profile etc.

I like the idea and it seems very technical but I would like to know how ist it going to help me on my trading. All I see is the techical stuff. If there's a thread (or maybe you could explain here) that shows rules (conditions) like " when you see xx then you go long/short/place a stop/limit order etc.

I've been trading pivots for quite sometime now. I decided long ago to hold until the market reaches the pivot to do my play. I use market orders and that's a problem, not becuase of the risk of a bad price/fill but sometimes I don't make the rigth chioce and screw it up. I was thinking about having resting orders at some distance off the pivots but I am not sure.

Thanks

Frank

Guys

I found soultrader's Market profile definitions thread and now it's making a lot of sense to me.

Thanks a lot for a wonderful site soultrader. I wish you nothing but the best

Frank.