Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

2011 Wish List for TL

Hi Folks,

I'd like to preface these comments by saying that TL is without a doubt my favorite site on the web, and I spend more time and visit TL more frequently than any other site or forum. I sincerely wish MadMarketScientist well in his continued efforts to build upon and improve what James and the TL community has built over the last four years or so.

While my posting at TL has been constrained lately, I still check in several times a day. Lately, I have noticed a few things that have made these visits somewhat aggravating. Rather than keep these to myself, I thought I'd share them here to see if anyone else had similar concerns. And, as I am not the only one with an opinion, I thought why not a general thread where TL users could make suggestions that may make the TL experience even better than it already is.

One benefit of having taken a step back from active posting is that I have been able to identify a few things that I feel would make visiting TL more user friendly and/or somewhat less vexing.

So, here are my initial "Wish List" items for making TL

First, I would like to suggest that the Most Viewed Threads list reside on the homepage - if these are the threads that most folks (including myself) come here to view, why not make sure that they are always and forever easily located and accessed. This way, ifyou are here to check out the latest on the Reading Charts thread, the Price/Volume thread, or Walter's Forex theread, for example, you could easily find it and open the thread right from the home page without having to go searching for it.

Second, I would like to be able to turn off the pop-up box advertising the "TL Starter's Kit." I know MMS wants to increase registered viewers and capture new e-mail addresses, but there must be a better way to do it than having a pop up form show up every time I visit TL or chaneg pags at the site.

Third, I would like for SureshBajaj, author of the "Daily blah blah blah ..." threads to consolidate his posts into one "The Daily SureshBajaj Outlook" thread. There is no reason that one user should be allowed to clutter the homepage with 7 of 12 recently posted threads, especially when the information in those seven threads is equally useless and lacking in interesting content.

So, for now, that is my TL "wish list."

I wish you all all the best in the coming New Year!

Best Wishes,

Thales

Hi Folks,

I'd like to preface these comments by saying that TL is without a doubt my favorite site on the web, and I spend more time and visit TL more frequently than any other site or forum. I sincerely wish MadMarketScientist well in his continued efforts to build upon and improve what James and the TL community has built over the last four years or so.

While my posting at TL has been constrained lately, I still check in several times a day. Lately, I have noticed a few things that have made these visits somewhat aggravating. Rather than keep these to myself, I thought I'd share them here to see if anyone else had similar concerns. And, as I am not the only one with an opinion, I thought why not a general thread where TL users could make suggestions that may make the TL experience even better than it already is.

One benefit of having taken a step back from active posting is that I have been able to identify a few things that I feel would make visiting TL more user friendly and/or somewhat less vexing.

So, here are my initial "Wish List" items for making TL

First, I would like to suggest that the Most Viewed Threads list reside on the homepage - if these are the threads that most folks (including myself) come here to view, why not make sure that they are always and forever easily located and accessed. This way, ifyou are here to check out the latest on the Reading Charts thread, the Price/Volume thread, or Walter's Forex theread, for example, you could easily find it and open the thread right from the home page without having to go searching for it.

Second, I would like to be able to turn off the pop-up box advertising the "TL Starter's Kit." I know MMS wants to increase registered viewers and capture new e-mail addresses, but there must be a better way to do it than having a pop up form show up every time I visit TL or chaneg pags at the site.

Third, I would like for SureshBajaj, author of the "Daily blah blah blah ..." threads to consolidate his posts into one "The Daily SureshBajaj Outlook" thread. There is no reason that one user should be allowed to clutter the homepage with 7 of 12 recently posted threads, especially when the information in those seven threads is equally useless and lacking in interesting content.

So, for now, that is my TL "wish list."

I wish you all all the best in the coming New Year!

Best Wishes,

Thales

Thank you Thalestrader for bringing up these points. I was thinking about starting a thread myself for posting these points.

The pop-up box advertising the "TL Starter's Kit" shows up on my screen as well, every time I check out Tlab. My browser remembers my ID and Pass for Tlab, so I am automatically logged In, but this pop up still shows up every day !!

Secondly, this SureshBajaj is EXTREMELY Annoying !!

I just could not understand "Why and How" can he afford to waste so much of his time and energy in posting such CRAP :spam: on a daily basis ! Don't he has any other work to do ? Anyway, whatever his motives might be behind posting in so many threads, I would sincerely request MadMarketScientist to please move all his posts in one SINGLE thread. I know this might go against the normal rules, but this SureshBajaj does not looks like a normal guy and he definitely deserves all his threads to be combined in one single Thread. Otherwise it is very irritating to see his Crap posts cluttering the "recently posted threads" section.

I respect him as a member and I appreciate his right to post on this forum. That is why I am simply requesting to LIMIT his posts and threads to a Single Thread, so that all other members do not have to suffer because of him.

Hope Tlab will keep on making higher highs in the new year. Best wishes to all members for the coming new year. :beer:

On the home page, one used to be able to hold the pointer over the title of a thread and it would reveal the first line or two of the most recent post of that thread...that is no longer the case with the new format. That is something I miss.

Also, I just don't think all the wrinkles have been ironed out with the new format...there are some bugs here and there...links that don't work, the "attach file" window for a post is little funny...I have to select the file, then scroll way right to find the "upload" button...stuff like that.

Also, the "lastest posts" part of the home page is a little messed up...it is not accurately providing the most recent posts at TL like it used to. Like Thales has already pointed out, some threads aren't showing up, and right now I see some of the same exact threads (the link is the same) in both columns!

Edited by Cory2679

..... First, I would like to suggest that the Most Viewed Threads list reside on the homepage - if these are the threads that most folks (including myself) come here to view, why not make sure that they are always and forever easily located and accessed......

Thales

I second a vote for the "most viewed" threads list on the home page

and add a request to perform searches by poster that will bring up the exact posts.

For example... if I search on "kiwi" or "jperl" or "brownsfan", I want to bring up links to the exact pages of their most recent posts instead of links to the entire thread they happen to be buried in.

There may be a way to do this already that I am not aware of.

I also favour useless spammers (or even useful spammers) being limited to one thread. The only reason I haven't been down his throat is because his threads are so recognizably a waste or time that I haven't wasted my time there.

Re the popup. The easy solution is the adblock+ extension for google chrome. After a few times I chose to block it ... and it has gone for good now.

Re the search for posts vs threads. First, on advanced search you can select that but I agree that the default search should be to posts not to threads - I usually end up having to try again to get the posts.

Thank you Thalestrader for bringing up these points. I was thinking about starting a thread myself for posting these points.

The pop-up box advertising the "TL Starter's Kit" shows up on my screen as well, every time I check out Tlab. My browser remembers my ID and Pass for Tlab, so I am automatically logged In, but this pop up still shows up every day !!

Secondly, this SureshBajaj is EXTREMELY Annoying !!

I just could not understand "Why and How" can he afford to waste so much of his time and energy in posting such CRAP :spam: on a daily basis ! Don't he has any other work to do ? Anyway, whatever his motives might be behind posting in so many threads, I would sincerely request MadMarketScientist to please move all his posts in one SINGLE thread. I know this might go against the normal rules, but this SureshBajaj does not looks like a normal guy and he definitely deserves all his threads to be combined in one single Thread. Otherwise it is very irritating to see his Crap posts cluttering the "recently posted threads" section.

I respect him as a member and I appreciate his right to post on this forum. That is why I am simply requesting to LIMIT his posts and threads to a Single Thread, so that all other members do not have to suffer because of him.

Hope Tlab will keep on making higher highs in the new year. Best wishes to all members for the coming new year. :beer:

This is what I mean -

sureshbajaj.png

It seems that MadMarketScientist does not visit this page often -"Search: New Posts " , that's why he might not be aware that how irritating it is, to most of the Tlab members who check this page everyday.

Actually I vote for the irritating spammer to be banned or banished to a single thread.

I also liked the ability to rest my cursor over the post and see the first few lines of the last one so I could decide if it was likely to be worth looking at when I was on the front page. That seems to have gone and there are now two columns of new posts that are different but not in a way that makes it clear why.

I also vote for the Guru label to disappear ... such post based ratings are more suited to a file sharing board.

...I also vote for the Guru label to disappear ...

Until Jack Schwager calls me for Market Wizards III, this is the only shot I have at being a "Market Wizard." Please, Kiwi, allow this foolish trader his delusions of grandeur!

As an aside, I too would very much like to see the thread preview return to the recent posts menu on the home page.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Edited by thalestrader

Until Jack Schwager calls me for Market Wizards III, this is the only shot I have at being a "Market Wizard." Please, Kiwi, allow this foolish trader his delusions of grandeur!

Hi Thales,

Jack Schwager actually already has a "Market Wizards III"...Stock Market Wizards :)

Cory

All what you have listed are all good! :D For me, my wish list for the year 2011, I hope that this year would be a good start for me in trading. I just hope that everything in stocks would be in good condition;.

I just hope that TL would have many active members too!! :)) Each and everyone should provide helpful information on trading. :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your input. I just wanted to do a quick post to let everyone know that all of these issues and suggestions are being noted and will be looked at. If these are selected to be implemented, some things will take longer than others. I'm not a techie so I don't know how long these could take exactly.

Any specific problems or suggestions should be noted in the suggestions thread, but maybe keep this thread for some bigger ideas and overall user experience type ideas. I will consider doing an update thread as well if people like that idea.

I'd like the "traders who have visited today" to be re-enabled. I always liked to be able to see if any of my od friends were up and around.

Also, it seems as though the "currently viewing this thread" has been turned off as well. I thought that was also a good feature.

Best Wishes,

Thales

And maybe this option already exists, and you can kind of find it through unread posts, but another forum that I used to read all the time, would log every single post you made labeled "Your Posts" and it would show if someone's commented on it. That way if you don't log on for a day, you can still find it easily. Maybe this is already on here, but I haven't found it.

Both re-enabled - thx for feedback

MMS

I'd like the "traders who have visited today" to be re-enabled. I always liked to be able to see if any of my od friends were up and around.

Also, it seems as though the "currently viewing this thread" has been turned off as well. I thought that was also a good feature.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Hi - I just added "Subscribed Threads" button below the main nav, that should give you what you want.

thanks for feedback

MMS

And maybe this option already exists, and you can kind of find it through unread posts, but another forum that I used to read all the time, would log every single post you made labeled "Your Posts" and it would show if someone's commented on it. That way if you don't log on for a day, you can still find it easily. Maybe this is already on here, but I haven't found it.

What happened to the picture viewer window that would pop up when you click on an attached image and allow you to click through all the attached images in a post? I'm not sure about how anyone else feels, but I liked that. Although, one thing that I didn't like about it was that some ads (Oanda) would stay in front of the picture viewer and would block the picture.

Also, what happened to the multi-quote button?

Thanks,

Cory

What happened to the picture viewer window that would pop up when you click on an attached image and allow you to click through all the attached images in a post? I'm not sure about how anyone else feels, but I liked that. Although, one thing that I didn't like about it was that some ads (Oanda) would stay in front of the picture viewer and would block the picture.

Also, what happened to the multi-quote button?

Thanks,

Cory

Picture Viewer - investigating ...

Multi-Quote - added back

thanks!

MMS