Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

DbPhoenix

Commercial Links

Soultrader: Bottom line is we do not allow postings of commercial links. Please refer to our forum guidelines. By allowing one vendor to post his website, I am allowing the dozens of others on TL to post theirs as well. This can not happen.

I'd appreciate some clarification on this. Members are allowed to post links to their websites, so what exactly distinguishes a vendor from a member? When does one become the other?

I'd appreciate some clarification on this. Members are allowed to post links to their websites, so what exactly distinguishes a vendor from a member? When does one become the other?

Hi Db. Could you please reference members who are posting links?

Hi Db. Could you please reference members who are posting links?

I'm looking primarily for clarification. In the case of Richard Todd, I believe it was swansjr who first posted the link to Todd's website and referred to Todd himself, and those links are still there. It seemed only natural for Todd to drop in and address the posts. However, he was reported for having done so. Should these links have been posted? If not, are all commercial links of any kind to be deleted? If commercial links of any kind are allowed, what kind, and who may post them?

I don't mean to sound picky, but this issue has arisen several times before, and there's probably no need to bring up the names again. But, as far as I know, it has not been resolved. For example, someone recently initiated a thread in the Wyckoff Forum for the sole purpose of soliciting subscribers for a newsletter and everyone seemed to think this was perfectly okay. I didn't want to become involved in this and closed the thread. There was a lot of drama about this, but since no one reported any of the posts, and the thread reopened in another forum, I assumed that some sort of change had been made in the rules. If no such change has been made, then there clearly is some confusion over exactly what is allowed and what is not. Before we assume that every member with a website or a book or whatever is a spammer and report him as such (which is not exactly a welcoming gesture if he's new), we should have generally understood and accepted standards.

If this board weren't so militant about me posting links I'd tell you where you could find lots more information about this kind of topic. Since it is, though, I leave you with google and my best wishes.

This, to me, is not a desired outcome.

Hi Db,

I urge members to report any posts that may be in violation of our Forum Guidelines, mainly because mods and myself may miss these posts.

Regarding links, it is rather difficult to set clear rules. Sometimes, members may be referencing a source or pointing out a good resource for others. What I am concerned mainly about is vendors who register as vendors that post their own firms links. These are the ones I pay most closely to as it can get out of hand. On the other hand, a member who has been with TL for some time and have been receiving credibility amongst the members do have some flexibility. This is because of the trust the member has created. Also long timers on TL are clearly aware of the forum atmosphere we try to maintain. It is rather the new comers that come in with 3 post or less and start posting links. Im afraid I have no choice but to view this as a form of spam. Our system automatically places first time posters who post a link into moderation. On a daily basis we get over 5 posts I need to delete due to this. They usually consist of black box vendors and at times brokers.

So spam link removals is a tricky procedure... hence the reason why the appeal button is there for members to submit. However, in the case of Richard I have no option but to remove the link because: 1. rather new comer with no post count 2. direct link to this firm. I'm afraid this can only be viewed as solicitation which I must prevent from the start in order to avoid future abuse from others. Thanks.

I always thought this might be a thorny issue. DB you have an ebook (free plug) but I don't think anyone in there right mind would accuse you of 'promoting' it. At the other extreme we have 1 post posters who swing by to start a thread to let us know of this fantastic new site/course/system/indicator that has turned there trading around overnight. Damn generous of them to share :)

Personally I have a fairly laissez faire attitude to this sort of thing I am not quite sure what prompted me to hit the 'report' button. I guess the post riled me a bit (unusual really) anyway that's not what this thread is about.

I think its a lot about contribution and intent. Some people clearly are passionate about their approach they are happy to explain how it works discuss the ins and outs of it and prepared to essentially give it all away despite having a product. There are others who will happily discuss their stuff but the intent is simply to solicit business. Maybe this is OK if their contribution is 'valuable'?

Of course 'valuable' means different things to different people. there own approach is a great influence for example, and intent is hard to know (initially). That really only leaves contribution to 'judge' people by. I guess at the end of the day it relies on the moderators discretion.

I do agree with DB that scaring off someone just because they are a 'vendor' is not a desirable outcome.

This is a delicate subject that I've decided to stay away from. As DB pointed out, some threads are allowed to exist w/ links and others get punished. Currently there is no set in stone rule that is followed. It might exist, but it is not being followed - which of course leads to confusion.

There are 'active' members that post links to stuff they have - DB's book, Eiger's website, 868's blog, Walter's website, etc. - all of that is posted here in some fashion. Is it 'wrong'? I don't know.

But w/o a fixed rule that is enforced, it appears every thread is up for debate.

So where could I find DB's book???

Guess I don't need that 12pt bold purple hotlink after all ;)

Just click my name, below, or click the "blog" under my name. Since it does not incorporate indicators, though, it may not be up your alley. Therefore, I suggest you read the preview before spending any money.

Edited by DbPhoenix

A fixed rule is rather hard to implement. I really dont mind Db posting his ebook link, brownsfan posting donation link, eiger website, etc.... These are all contributing members who have provided alot of value for TL and turns out they have a website too. I dont see anything wrong with it. My major concerns are silent and obvious spamming.... so in honest opinion I must say that long timers and active posters have more flexibility than inactive and new members.

A fixed rule is rather hard to implement. I really dont mind Db posting his ebook link, brownsfan posting donation link, eiger website, etc.... These are all contributing members who have provided alot of value for TL and turns out they have a website too. I dont see anything wrong with it. My major concerns are silent and obvious spamming.... so in honest opinion I must say that long timers and active posters have more flexibility than inactive and new members.

I agree w/ this 100%. Good way to sum it up.

I caution those who would report these posts, however, not immediately to assume that a new poster who brings something to the table is here for no other reason than to pick the pockets of TL members. Even Steidlmayer would have to make a first post, and for him to pretend that he had no connection to a website, had never written a book, nor was connected in any way to software would be at best unreasonable.

Those who are here solely to fleece the unwary betray themselves quickly enough. I suggest that they be given at least some rope. Otherwise those who have something valuable to contribute might feel as though it's just not worth the trouble.

I agree w/ this 100%. Good way to sum it up.

Indeed, contribution and intent. I too favour laissez-faire approach until the intent becomes clear through what is contributed. (or put another way I agree with DB)