Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

BlowFish

3 Post Policy

I gather that nowadays 3 posts are required for full forum access. I can understand the thinking behind it and can imagine there might be more to it that meets the eye. (for example potential sponsors might be interested in 'active' accounts). However from a user point of view it seems to have increased the signal to noise ratio. Of course this is a small price to pay for an excellent forum and easily manageable, just thought I'd mention it anyway :)

Hi Blowfish,

Sorry I just noticed this thread. I tend to forget to visit the support forum every now and then. The 3 post policy is only for the indicator section. Members have access to the boards but can not download the indicators until they have 3 posts. It makes more sense for members to at least be active within TL instead of lurking around and downloading indicators for free. I have a message that gets posted for lurkers to introduce themselves. As a result we are seeing more members using this section.

Up until now, TL has been a place for the experienced traders. After viewing it from a third person perspective I realized TL could be a bit intimidating for the new trader to participate. Hence, I wanted newer traders to be more active within the community. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

I dunno - I guess if someone has tracked down an indicator they want they will make there 3 posts (probably inane) grab it and run. Maybe I am just turning into a grumpy old git in my old age (I always was a cynic!) but there seems to be more and more 'Hi Im Joe tch me how 2 trade plox' posts :) or the other old favourite "please show me an indicator that will make loads of money". I did respect the guy who said 'I am posting because I need 3 posts'.

As I said it's pretty easy to deal with but I did consider ignoring the introduction section but felt bad about that so didn't :)

Edit: Didn't really address the bit about encouraging new inexperienced guys. That's a tough one, but I am not sure 'forcing' (I know its not really forcing) them to post is probably not the answer. Is there a FAQ here? <blush> I don't know the answer to that. Maybe that would help people get orientated?

There is nothing wrong with lurking imo.

Edited by BlowFish

Its annoying more than anything. Either when old post ( over 2 years old) are being dug up from the grave with the ever intelligent, " this is really interesting" or when brand new posts are made announcing someone is new. Seems like half of the new posts are just someone "Saying hi".

I wonder if perhaps some sort of competition or other activity to get people involved. I was trying to think of something like post of the month but for new guys. Nothing practical has occurred to me (yet).

Personally I just stopped visiting so much. To log on and see 70+ new posts and at least 50 of them are new people trying to reach a quota, I am immediately turned off. I really don't have the desire to click the unread posts to find 1 or 2 threads maybe that I might be interested in when there are 70+ on my unread list.

Personally I just stopped visiting so much. To log on and see 70+ new posts and at least 50 of them are new people trying to reach a quota, I am immediately turned off. I really don't have the desire to click the unread posts to find 1 or 2 threads maybe that I might be interested in when there are 70+ on my unread list.

Yes, I felt the same way, I'm glad James is on the ball and has responded by removing the function.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

If it is meant to increase the number of so called active members for advertising purposes, I understand it and I can live with that. Being a beginner myself, the benefit I obtain from this forum largely outweighs these minor issues.

But for sure there is a question what is more important: if quantity or quality.

Hi all,

The function has been completely removed. The aim was not for traffic at all. It was simply to bring in more activity. I wanted to offer new traders a chance to participate even if it meant asking alot of redundant questions.

But the most important for TL is quality. I appreciate the feedbacks.

I, for one, think you do a pretty darned good job James.

I don't visit much these days as I pretty much just trade my buns off during this long-awaited volatility and stick to my own knitting so to speak. That being said, despite all the newbie posts for gold I do still enjoy stopping by once in awhile and picking through the pile for those rare tidbits that offer a gem of lasting value.

I think your removing that rule will probably prove a good decision.

E Z

Edited by ezduzzit
typos