Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Support Center Have any questions regarding the site? Submit a support ticket here. Check this section for announcements also.

Like Tree22Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

Ignore this user

Off Topic and Moderation

Hi Members!

How much moderation do you all want on the threads? I've received a few recent 'complaints' that threads are getting off-topic too much. But on the flip-side, others have said they like the banter.

What does everyone else think? Please let me know here!

thanks,
MMS

Featured Brokers include:
NinjaTrader

Featured Services:
INO Trading Course
The Following User Says Thank You to MadMarketScientist For This Useful Post:
Kiwinz (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: Off Topic and Moderation

It is imperative Traders Laboratory moderate Libel, Fraud and Death Threats by removing the forum access of anyone using the forum as a platform for illegal activities. TL does not have a choice to disregard this responsibility. TL must make a reasonable effort to abate illegal activity.

TL is free to choose whatever they deem appropriate on a case by case basis where the complaintant claims a user is off-topic. I prefer free speech in these cases.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Ignore this user

current moderation is pretty fine
The Following User Says Thank You to Obsidian For This Useful Post:
bobcollett (06-10-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian »
current moderation is pretty fine
I disagree

Several months ago I lodged a complaint of Libel and management failed to make a reasonable attempt to abate this illegal activity.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarketScientist »
Hi Members!

How much moderation do you all want on the threads? I've received a few recent 'complaints' that threads are getting off-topic too much. But on the flip-side, others have said they like the banter.

What does everyone else think? Please let me know here!

thanks,
MMS
When some people post it is frequently very important to take the thread off topic until they are dealt with properly. Sure, some good guys get hurt, but in the long run the flow of information works better without moderation because if you give them enough time, they will expose themselves for what they really are. It is a great process to watch as it unfolds.

There is nothing wrong with speculating on the intent or integrity of another member of the site. In fact, you really should encourage the behavior. As a member of a trading community, do you want someone to suggest that he can on demand turn a 10000 account into a 200000 account in a year without getting put through the ringer?

Nothing is more irritating than having a post get deleted or censured. I do think that if you are going to censure a post that you should first contact the poster to see if he would rather the post be deleted altogether. Censorship editing frequently changes the meaning of the post.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #6

Ignore this user

Thanked 6,145 Times in 1,653 Posts

I thought James put it well:

Hi,

Recent personal attacks on the forums have forced me to create this thread. Traders Laboratory has grown over the course of the past 2.5 years by maintaining one thing: respect for one another.

While many boards continue to allow trash talk and attacks, I can not allow this to happen on TL. There is a reason why TL contains only:

Threads: 3,935, Posts: 55,821

Most forum owners will only care about pageviews and post counts. At TL we prefer quality over quantity.

For any concerns regarding a member or post, we urge you to pm anyone of the mods or myself. If there is a concern with a particular mod or myself, please feel free to pm me directly as well. I am very open to suggestions and recommendations from TL members. Afterall, it is the members that create TL.

Any continued post that aims to attack another member will be deleted upon notice. If there is an issue please pm me or the mods and we will try to resolve the matter quietly without an open public debate.

Please help us keep TL a quality forum.

Thank you.

Soultrader
Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #7

Ignore this user

For me, it's fine if threads get off-topic for a while. Just like in a normal conversation.

If someone does not like the off-topic posts he or she can ignore them and does not have to respond. This person can just continue to post about the original topic and people will reply to that and get on-topic again. If the topic is of enough interest to others of course...

And this is the other side of the medal... maybe some topics are not really that interesting at that moment for most people on the forum so that they tend to deviate from it.

I'd say, keep it like it is. We are all big boys or girls and should be able to cope with it.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Ignore this user

Off-topic could be very healthy for discovery by bringing in ideas and perspectives that enrich the on-topic discussion. Who can say what is really off-topic and what is on?

About abuse and attacks, well, first, you opened this with a question about "off-topic" comments. An euphemism?

I suspect the button on the left to ignore this user was built into the system for just that personal moderation. If it works as promised, no other moderation is needed.

I think the "host" of the thread, that is, the person who launched it, might remind everyone of the etiquette ground rules in the first post, especially if the topic could be predicted to generate passionate feelings.

Finally, if you are one of the people prone to disrespect or abuse, and you know who you are, I suggest you study persuasive writing and rhetoric (use your search engines).

I'm from New York where everyone has an opinion (the right one, of course), is passionate, and in a rush (life's too short and fast for taking too much time) yet manage to express themselves among friends in a way that gets their point across by focusing on getting the point across. It is possible to express passionate disagreement without abusive language, name calling, or putdowns.

I live in Seattle now and this skill is lacking among the general population. So everyone sticks to safe or nice topics because they don't have the skin or skills to disagree. Most conversations don't lead to anything because people don't risk showing their opposition. Very sad.

Let's be more NY than Seattle.

Feng

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: