Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

serpfra

OEC platform

Hi

I just playing with demo from OEC but a volatile market makes a big mess...

Wrong quotes,slow execution....

Have a look at the images.

I planed to open an account with them .Is this the same with real accounts??

Hope is only a demo problem :hmmmm:

Immagine.JPG.f40799a82b0d0ac7adc5ce40128b4f2e.JPG

Immagine1.JPG.b85b3011a241d481856d92e04ea43343.JPG

Edited by serpfra

Guest forsearch

No.

Demo is never the same as real accounts. The emphasis is placed on making sure the real quotes and execution are up and running properly. Demo is secondary to real time trading.

As always, if you are serious about trading futures you will want at least 2 separate accounts at 2 different (and non-affiliated) brokers, IMHO.

Good luck.

-fs

Hi,

I to have noticed the exact same thing demo trading the YM with OEC. I hope it is just a demo thing and not a real time problem. If anyone can verify that real time Open e cry does not have this problem I would be mucho gracias.

thanks,

Brad

Guest forsearch
Hi,

I to have noticed the exact same thing demo trading the YM with OEC. I hope it is just a demo thing and not a real time problem. If anyone can verify that real time Open e cry does not have this problem I would be mucho gracias.

thanks,

Brad

Asked and answered above, as noted by Brownsfan.

Hi

I just playing with demo from OEC but a volatile market makes a big mess...

Wrong quotes,slow execution....

Have a look at the images.

I planed to open an account with them .Is this the same with real accounts??

Hope is only a demo problem :hmmmm:

Yes serpfra, I did notice this on a live account with OEC, I will post some pictures when I get back!!

Forsearch, I thought you might have been talking about trading accounts in general, did not know if you were specifically referring to oec or not.

Thanks Don4 that's what I needed to know before going live with them. Will call them to see what the problem is...maybe vista? Who knows:confused:

Guest forsearch
Forsearch, I thought you might have been talking about trading accounts in general, did not know if you were specifically referring to oec or not.

Yes, I was referring to Open E Cry and their OEC Trader platform. I've had any number of problems with OEC myself on the LIVE plaform with a real money account, most of which OEC still has *not* adequately addressed.

The issue with the DOM not keeping up with the quotes I've also experienced recently myself. Found that whenever I was running charts with a lot of history on a given symbol, occasionally the DOM and quotes would lag.

Also, the dreaded "too many history requests" would be triggered if I had charts linked to quotes and I simply switched between different symbols any number of times, as the charts would reload history each time. Go figure.

If you're a high leverage trader who uses more than 50% of your available margin when trading, I'd be wary of even using a simple (OCO) bracket order with OEC. They'll treat it as though both sides of the bracket require separate margin, when only one side will be executed in the market at any given time. So you're basically double margined from what I gather, but OEC doesn't tell you that - you'll have to find out the hard way when your stop or target isn't filled because of this.

I suspect that for the average trader who deals in only one symbol like ES (e-mini S&P) you'll find OEC more than sufficient. Try charting or trading 5 or more symbols at the same time, or using high leverage, and it becomes a PITA.

The issue with the DOM not keeping up with the quotes I've also experienced recently myself. Found that whenever I was running charts with a lot of history on a given symbol, occasionally the DOM and quotes would lag.

I am also interested in OEC and frankly, your answers are contradictory and not very helpful. Initially you have said that Live accounts do not have the same issues as the Demo account, but now you said you have problems too with your live account after Don posted his screen prints.

Appreciate you trying to answer though, but hopefully other people like Don who is really using OEC will share their experiences.

Guest forsearch
I am also interested in OEC and frankly, your answers are contradictory and not very helpful. Initially you have said that Live accounts do not have the same issues as the Demo account, but now you said you have problems too with your live account after Don posted his screen prints.

Appreciate you trying to answer though, but hopefully other people like Don who is really using OEC will share their experiences.

What I wrote is true, Fanus. I really use OEC. So does Brownsfan. Ask him his opinion and he'll probably tell you all is peachy-keen for his method of trading. Mine is not.

The demo is NOT like the real thing. However the real thing has issues, some which I outlined here. I don't wish to go on a rant about my problems with OEC as I have elsewhere, but since the initial question was about the difference between OEC demo and OEC live, I answered it.

Now, whether your experience with the live OEC is superlative, like, say Brownsfan, or problematic, like say, mine, or Don4, remains to be seen. In other words, your mileage may vary.

Good luck in your trading.

-fs

Edited by forsearch

Hello sevensa, I must say I am no longer trading live with OEC, My expierence with OEC was basically to what forsearch said.

Does the demo act like live trading identically? No.

I personally have not had any issues. FS has outlined a few things and in particular something I was not aware of with bracket orders and leverage.

I'll see if I can't get a response from OEC to post in the thread, but that won't happen till the new work week.

I have been demo trading with OEC for around 30 days, and I have yet to experience problems. However, I only usually have up to 3 DOMs and 3 Charts open at the same time, and I only use MKT, STP and LMT orders. I am sure that you must have a good internet connection to ensure that you don't have data feed issues, and that's what I would suggest checking first, I guess pinging the IP address to which the trader demo/live account connects to?

I am sure most of you know that if you are using your internet bandwidth on other programs such as torrents or P2P networks, that your internet feed will lag, no matter if you are playing counter-strike source, or trading using a OEC trader.

I am planning on wiring money to OEC Monday. Did anyone send funds to OEC this way? How did it go?

I've have been with OEC for a few months now, I switched to Amp as my IB because they are much friendlier to their clients. The demo is certainly less reliable than the live app. Double margin on bracket orders is true, when I asked OEC about this they basically said it was a safety measure for them (not exactly reassuring). 95% of the time OEC is solid. I do not use the DOM so I cannot comment there but I can tell you some things I've learned:

- I had horrible experiences with the "Multi Bracket Strategies", stops being jumped, getting bad slippage etc, I switched to using the basic orders instead and have been fine, later on I established that the "Multi Brackets" are actually client side, therefore very unreliable, if your net goes down in the middle of a trade then your bracket would too. The basic orders are server side and are much much better. I wish OEC made their advanced orders server side and more like ninja. I once asked them to provide a break-even trail stop like in ninja, they said they would have it read in a few weeks, I was really impressed to hear them tell me that with such confidence but guess what it's been 3+ months since that point and there hasn't even been a single software update this whole time... oh well.

- There is a bug in the software where the chart draws lines for the daily high and low (this data is from their server side), sometimes the lines will stop tracking with the actual highs or lows, for instance the NQ could be making a new low of day at 1100 but their line is still showing 1120. Now all of this would be a very minor problem but here is the kicker, when this bug is in effect orders that you place below 1120 get rejected, you get some weird message about the price not being valid or something. So that is a really dodgy thing I've had to deal with at least 10 times in the past 3 months or so. Usually a full restart of the program fixes this. Additionally the volume at price histogram sometimes will freeze and stop updating for a few hours.

- OEC support sucks, it just does. They don't seem to like talking to their customers. They are kinda a-holes on the phone to be honest, they don't respond proactively when you tell them that their software is buggy or that their system didn't execute fast enough. Email support is a little better but I think they get sick of you after a while and put you on ignore, I was in ok communication with the tech guy Derek for a while and then he just stopped responding. Luckily I've learned to live with the occasional hiccups the program has.

- Sometimes I put in a market order to close out my position this should be instantaneous but instead it will take 10+ seconds to fill!!! This doesn't happen often but when it does it really is unnerving. I've had to restart the software a few times because the market order had been sent but somehow 20 seconds later I still hadn't been filled, but after the restart it worked right away.

- Regarding orders sometimes freezing up and not filling, I have found a nice way to test my connection with OEC. Put in a limit order somewhere really far away from the last price (so you don't actually get filled) watch the "Active Orders" box to time how soon it shows up on the server as working. It should show up at light speed, then cancel the order and time how long it takes to cancel, again this should happen in the blink of an eye. If for some reason it takes more than 1 second I suggest you restart OEC and try the test again. When their is a lag in this test I have noticed the same trouble with not getting filled on a simple market order (something that should never ever happen btw). My impression is that the longer one leaves on the program the less reliable the connection to the order system gets, so I usually restart OEC now when I go to take lunch.

- When there is an important message from OEC regarding a certain contract being halted or an exchange experiencing problems etc etc, these messages just show up in a simple windows dialogue box. This sucks!!!! A few reasons why: There are no logs of the alerts they send out, you close that window spontaneously well too bad for you. If your program is off and they send an alert, you will be left in the dark, it's not like when you start up the program you get all the back queued alerts from them. Worst of all though is that this alert box pops up at the worst times, and you have to click ok before you can get back to using the program, it really can start to piss you off if they send out these system alerts when you were just about to put in your order but oh no, now you have to go click ok on this annoying box before you can, oh great I just missed my setup! They seriously need to put their system alerts into the chat box instead.

- One last gripe, they charge you to demo their software if you are a paying customer on their live platform. That is just LAME!!! They want you to pay them extra money to test out new features on the demo, what bs!

I still really like being on the OEC platform though. Despite these hiccups, The overall reliability and speed and ease of use is great.

Edited by popstocks

The only problem I have is I didn't get any notice when they loss connection with the datafeed. This happened with the Stoxx on Monday 2/23 10:20 to 10:35 EST. I didn't have a position on it, but it would be nice if let their customers know that the connection was lost.

This would be a problem if I have a position on because I minimize OEC after I put on a trade or after the trade is filled. I set up audio for filled and trailing order. If I don't hear anything in 10 to 15 minutes, then I will open OEC again to see if I should exit the position.

Popstock: Orders are reside on their server. The order default is on day. I changed it GTC.

Guest Tresor

Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me how one places the following orders on OEC Trader:

(i) buy / sell at xyz price (the order is valid for indefinite time)

(ii) buy / sell at xyz price (the order is valid for a definite time, e.g. 3 days, 7 days)

Regards

Guest Tresor

Hi Frank,

my question is not explained there (or my English is not good enough to understand trading jargon). I would appreciate a screenshot that would explain how to put the orders that I am after.

Thanks