Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Obsidian

What is Yourtrading Size?

Your trading systems tell you about what to trade and when to trade...but how do you set the size of your trades?

For example, I do not open more than 4 positions. I do not risk more than 0.5%/position.

Depending on the VIX I usually go 20 on the ZN / ZB. If I am not feeling good or I am confused or have a conflicting idea I reduce my size. I don't go larger then 20 on the ES because I prefer the bonds. But I will take trades on the ES. Again I reduce my size if the premarket looks funny or is giving conflicting info up to and after the open. I have never worked at a company that bought into that only bet a percentage of your total account stuff so I don't go by that. But one thing I do go by is the next 100-1000 trades. If your account cant take 100 trades or better yet 1000 trades then you are too small or too short term IMO.

Your trading systems tell you about what to trade and when to trade...but how do you set the size of your trades?

I've found that I'm mentally comfortable with taking a $200 loss on a failed trade. If I need to buy a wider stop, I decrease the position size. I don't have an explanation for why the number is $200... just a mental thing.

In my ES set profit strategy I start with 1 contract and increase by one each time it fails to achieve the target.I am starting with zero leverage. Boring ,but safe.

The target is net 2 points.

The worst sequence is 4 losses;so far;)

For example, I do not open more than 4 positions. I do not risk more than 0.5%/position.

0.5% in a single trade or all 4 positions ? and 0.5% of the total account size ?

By the way how much do you expect while risking 0.5% ?

0.5% in a single trade or all 4 positions ? and 0.5% of the total account size ?

By the way how much do you expect while risking 0.5% ?

0.5% is max risk per position, so I don't have a fixed size. It depends on signal strength and time frame.

profit targets also varies though min r/r is 1/1.