Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Reaver

Ant, what do you think about Alexander Trading?

Ant or anyone else, do you have any experience with Alexander Trading? Don Jones recommends them for ongoing mentorship, etc...but I was wondering if you had used them or otherwise had any experience with them?

I really like what Don Jones has to say, and Alexander Trading looks like a good way to continue and compound on the basic of Value Based Trading.

Or perhaps you have any better suggestions?

By the way, definitely not trying to spam, I'm seriously asking.

Reaver,

I took the Alexander Trading seminar in April '06. They emphasized trading as a business by developing a business/trading plan and provided their trading methodology, based on MP - a good complement to the Cisco-Futures course and the book Mind over Markets. Their newsletter is good and covers most of what is in the seminar. Note that I did not use them for mentoring services. They focus on trading market development and market structure using Market Profile. The type of stuff that I usually write about in my ES analysis on this forum. Check out some of the free webinars at the CBOT from Tom Alexander. Reaver, FWIW, I think you're on the right track with the Cisco-Futures course and Mind over Markets.

Ant,

Thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, who did you use for mentoring, if anyone? I'm not completely convinced a mentor per se would be necessary, although it's always nice to have a helping hand to make sure you're not going off the reservation with the information you have. I'm glad to know you've already taken the path I'm on, and I definitely appreciate your taking the time to offer advice and insight. Thanks. Funny you mention everything, I am actually reading MoM, between my lesson text from Cisco- and I actually have one of the MP webinars from CBOT paused on my media player as I read your post. lol Makes me feel like I'm on the right track. Thanks Ant.

How much is the Cisco course? Ive heard so many good things about it that I may end up taking it myself. For a dedicated student of MoM... is there further insight mentioned in the Cisco course?

Thanks

Reaver,

No mentors. I learned from Linda Raschke, took the Wyckoff course from SMI, the Cisco-Futures short course, and read a tremendous amount of books. The books were very useful in learning about what's out there and then determining what suits me best. Although I've taken two seminars, Raschke's and Tom Alexander's, in general I would steer away from seminars. They are not generally worth the money.

For me it all boils down to Price and Volume. Study Wyckoff and Market Profile. That's the best advice I can give. Unfortunately, Wyckoff and Market Profile take a lot of time to learn and apply. However, it doesn't have to be expensive and it is all worth it in the end.

How much is the Cisco course? Ive heard so many good things about it that I may end up taking it myself. For a dedicated student of MoM... is there further insight mentioned in the Cisco course?

Thanks

Soul,

The Cisco course is $109/mo + exchange fees....which equals to a total of about $115/mo for the long course, or you can pay it all at once and it's about $1200. I recommend the monthly payments in case you feel you already know the info you can cancel. They also have a short course, which ant referred to, that is I think 5 months long, and runs about $600. THERE IS ALOT OF INFO TO DIGEST IN THE COURSE!

Reaver,

No mentors. I learned from Linda Raschke, took the Wyckoff course from SMI, the Cisco-Futures short course, and read a tremendous amount of books. The books were very useful in learning about what's out there and then determining what suits me best. Although I've taken two seminars, Raschke's and Tom Alexander's, in general I would steer away from seminars. They are not generally worth the money.

For me it all boils down to Price and Volume. Study Wyckoff and Market Profile. That's the best advice I can give. Unfortunately, Wyckoff and Market Profile take a lot of time to learn and apply. However, it doesn't have to be expensive and it is all worth it in the end.

Ant,

Cool man. Thanks for the info. I agree, I definitely don't want to blow my money unelss absolutely necessary! I always learn the best by myself as long as I have adequate time to digest and develop my own perspective and unique understanding of it all...I have to be able to covert it all into "my language" and then it sticks to me like superglue! (at least most of the time lol:confused: ). If you don't mind, I'll probably be dropping some questions your way as time progresses. Thanks Ant.

I agree ant. Market Profile, Wyckoff, and Neill has helped me develop as a trader tremendously. Gotta love the old timers! ;)

Reever,

Thanks for the information. I dont think I will be paying an extra $1200 for further trading education but I have pre-ordered Daltons next MP book so will definitely be looking forward to it.

Thanks

The Cisco-Futures short course is $600 (6 months) and the long course (12 months) is $1200, both include market data for the duration of the course. I do think that there is a lot more insight to be gained from the Cisco-Futures course. Don Jones presents a model trading strategy and covers dozens of other reference points that a trader can choose to use in his/her trading. Some of the sections of the course is a little dated though.

After re-reading MoM, it's obvious that it is simply an excellent book on Market Profile. The sections I read over and over again are the ones related to trading brackets and trends. As I've said before, the Cisco-Futures course is a great value considering all the snake oil salespeople out there who take advantage of new traders.

I agree Ant. I think that Cisco is the best way for me to get a grip on this whole MP thing, and then mahybe I'll work outward from there.

Soul, no worries on the info. Speaking of Dalton, thanks for reminding me to go pre-order the new book.

I agree Ant. I think that Cisco is the best way for me to get a grip on this whole MP thing, and then mahybe I'll work outward from there.

Soul, no worries on the info. Speaking of Dalton, thanks for reminding me to go pre-order the new book.

Reaver,

Out of all the MP books and courses out there, Mind over Markets is the best and the least expensive at 20 bucks. I've re-read it over 5-7 times and gain more insight each time, seriously. That's probably all you need, but it helps to hear other perspectives as well. I'm looking forward to his next book too.

Ant and Soultrader,

Besides the book Mind Over Markets, would you have any books recommendation from Wyckoff, and Neill that you can recommend to me. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Hi dyoung,

There are not many books out by Wyckoff or Neill so I suggest you read them all. I personally keep Neill's "Tape Reading and Market Tactics" with me all the time. Its a classic trading book and a must read. Hope this helps :)

Soultrader

Ant and Soultrader,

Besides the book Mind Over Markets, would you have any books recommendation from Wyckoff, and Neill that you can recommend to me. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Dyoung,

I would start off with this book to see if the Wyckoff way appeals to you first before getting in deeper.

Amazon.com: Charting the Stock Market: The Wyckoff Method: Books: Jack K. Hutson

Next, you may want to try to get a hold of some articles written by Hank Pruden who teaches the Wyckoff way. He wrote Trading the Wyckoff Way, Buying Springs and Selling Thrusts and Wyckoff Axioms, Jumps and Backups for Active Trader Magazine (http://www.activetradermag.com/). I have also attached a couple of other articles by Hank Pruden.

You can also join a Yahoo group that focuses on Wyckoff trading at Wyckoff-SMI : Wyckoff-SMI.

Also, go to Elitetrader.com and read posts from "hcour". He trades using Wyckoff methods and he has some excellent posts.

If you still want more after all of this, you can purchase the Wyckoff course from SMI, which runs about $800 (can be purchased in sections). Just like Market Profile, Wyckoff takes a lot more time to learn than trading using indicators. Market Profile and Wycoff will teach you a sound and robust trading methodology and will really teach you how to read the markets. One of the things that Wyckoff and Market Profile have in common is that they teach you how to find the best trade opportunities with the best risk/reward. IMO, this is all you will ever need. Hope this helps.

Pruden, Hank - Wyckoff Laws and Test.pdf

Pruden, Hank - Wyckoff Tests.pdf

Ant,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and detailed information.

Frankly, it's because of you and Soultrader that got me seriously interested in Market Profile. Your posts have been very helpful and educational for me.

You have a wonderful day!

Thank s again!

Reaver,

Out of all the MP books and courses out there, Mind over Markets is the best and the least expensive at 20 bucks. I've re-read it over 5-7 times and gain more insight each time, seriously. That's probably all you need, but it helps to hear other perspectives as well. I'm looking forward to his next book too.

What's his next book?

Alexander Trading has a briefing room. You can sign up for a one month trial or a quarterly subscription. I signed up for the one month trial back in October and continued on for one quarter.

I think Tom Alexander is an honest individual and tries to disclose everything he does in his trading. However, he will not call out trades in his briefing room. He wants you to be able to make your own decisions.

At certain points during the day, he will give you his opinion and answer questions.

What he uses intraday to make a decision based upon market development process are ticks, volume, breadth and divergences between futures prices as they reach highs or lows.

I think the monthly trial is a fairly inexpensive place to start.

His newsletters are an analysis of certain markets using market profile and breadth. The newsletters identify high volume nodes and key reference areas.

Everyone has their own trading style. I have seen some analysis posted on this website that provide very good detail related to the ER and YM using Market Profile.