Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Pepperdog

Market Profile for Non-index Futures

I'm mostly an ES trader, and only recently gotten into Market Profile and so far I really like what I am seeing. I'm still a relative noob, but it seems to be a fantastic way to see the bigger picture.

Anyhow, I also watch some other futures contracts, mostly the EuroFX (EC/6E). I'd like to setup my TPO chart for this contract, but I am not quite sure how to define the open and close times?

CME lists the floor session times as 7:20 AM to 2:00 PM central time. Should I set my TPO chart to these times? Should I split the chart for afterhours outside these times and RTH for these times? Should I just run a 24-hour chart?? :confused:

Thanks for any wisdom/advice anyone can provide!

J

This depends. Do you want to divide the sessions according to the domicile market in the cash, which the futures track? Or do you want to divide it so the American session is isolated?

For example, the center of the forex market is generally considered to be London. The London markets open up at 2am CST and close at 10am CST.

Or you could use the Eurex's European fixed income derivatives (the Bund, etc) since currencies are also an interest rate driven product, and Europe is the home of the Euro (surprised, eh?). I believe that the Bund opens at 1am CST but this could be different since we just had a the time change.

The trading day in the United States generally starts up at 7:20am CST for fixed income and 8:30am for the stock market, so you can see how your divisions might differ depending on where you thought it logical to center it.

To be quite honest, I don't think there's one right way to center it. Markets have grown so interdependent that some people, including Steidlmayer, have begun to go away from dividing sessions according to time periods. While I don't believe in doing this, I can see their point.

If I were you I'd try all of these ways. See if something makes the chart pop for you. In the end, market profile is all about context and isn't all that dogmatic. It's all what you get from it.