Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Frank

VWAP Distribution Set-Up: '2 Std Devs & a Div'

This thread is just to publicly evaluate a set-up I have been working on. comments appreciated.

I will call it the '2 std devs and a divergence' set-up.

Concept: If S&P futures move 2 standard deviations in a direct move (without a decent correction) AND form a momentum divergence (using LBR's 3/10 oscillator) -- then fade the move for a SCALP targeting roughly 1 deviation.

1st example from Tuesday Jan 8:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4715&stc=1&d=1199936711

5aa70e3201687_0108Tue2StdDevSetup.png.2dc67bb9466dbd9eb90a77f009f12919.png

This thread is just to publicly evaluate a set-up I have been working on. comments appreciated.

I will call it the '2 std devs and a divergence' set-up.

Concept: If S&P futures move 2 standard deviations in a direct move (without a decent correction) AND form a momentum divergence (using LBR's 3/10 oscillator) -- then fade the move for a SCALP targeting roughly 1 deviation.

1st example from Tuesday Jan 8:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4715&stc=1&d=1199936711

Hi Frank,

I am very interested in this thread. I have a newbie question... how do you calculate your standard deviations?

hi,

the code comes from a Traders Lab post... Here is the Tradestation code I am presently using (1-min chart is used on ES.D):

vars:

PriceW(0),

ShareW(0),

Count(0),

VolWAPValue(0),

VolWAPVariance(0),

VolWAPSD(0);

if date > date[1] then begin

PriceW = 0;

ShareW = 0;

Count = -1;

Value1 = 0;

Value2 = 0;

VolWAPValue = 0;

end;

PriceW = PriceW + (AvgPrice * (UpTicks+DownTicks));

ShareW = ShareW + (UpTicks+DownTicks);

Count = Count + 1;

Value3 = 0;

if ShareW > 0 then VolWAPValue = PriceW / ShareW;

{Calculate the individual variance terms for each intraday bar starting with the current

bar and looping back through each bar to the start bar. The terms are each normalized

according to the Variance formula for each level of volume at each price bar }

For Value1 = 0 To Count Begin

Value2 = ((UpTicks[Value1]+DownTicks[Value1])/ShareW) * (Square(AvgPrice[Value1]-VolWAPValue));

Value3 = Value3 + Value2;

End;

VolWAPVariance = Value3;

VolWAPSD = SquareRoot(VolWAPVariance);

Plot1(VolWAPValue, "VWAP");

Plot2(VolWAPValue + VolWAPSD, "VWAP1SDUp");

Plot3(VolWAPValue - VolWAPSD, "VWAP1SDDown");

Plot4(VolWAPValue + (2*VolWAPSD), "VWAP2SDUp");

Plot5(VolWAPValue - (2*VolWAPSD), "VWAP2SDDown");

there was no set-up all day today for this. the market was moving 1 deviation at a time and therefore 'self-correcting' along the way..

There was one moment that was really close though and I was watching for an entry but it didn't happen. I will watch to see if this should be included in the set-up in the future (2 std devs and a higher low -- 'turn up in the oscillator).

attachment.php?attachmentid=4720&stc=1&d=1200001836

5aa70e321e5cb_0110Thu2StdDevSetup.thumb.png.db227918b4be50cfe1f3188f223f175a.png