Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

dmcst

Market Profile Indicators

This topic has been posted over and over again in the Tradestation support forums and there just isn't anything good at doing it precisely like the market profile books depict.

Personally, I use the 'Matrix' window in Tradestation for the volume distribution and combine it with a 30-min chart to get the overall visual impression. I never liked the letters much anyway -- it is not intuitive to me to look at letters --- I find myself always trying to rebuild the letters into what the intraday chart would look like. The 'profile shape' is the volume distribution anyway (in Matrix)... just can't chart it over many days -- that is the bummer.

To me it isn't crucial, I think Market Profile is for 'context' much more than anything like a normal 'indicator'... just my opinion.

This topic has been posted over and over again in the Tradestation support forums and there just isn't anything good at doing it precisely like the market profile books depict.

Personally, I use the 'Matrix' window in Tradestation for the volume distribution and combine it with a 30-min chart to get the overall visual impression. I never liked the letters much anyway -- it is not intuitive to me to look at letters --- I find myself always trying to rebuild the letters into what the intraday chart would look like. The 'profile shape' is the volume distribution anyway (in Matrix)... just can't chart it over many days -- that is the bummer.

To me it isn't crucial, I think Market Profile is for 'context' much more than anything like a normal 'indicator'... just my opinion.

I totally agree...it isn't an exact science, so I don't see how it would matter one way or another as long as you have reasonable reliable context and price/time/volume data to work with.

I am a Tradestation user!

Thanks

Mark

Tradestation is really cr*p for MP. All but one of the sMP solutions do not have the functionality of easily splitting and merging profiles and showing volume profiles (which to me is critical to using MP for trading). The one "good" one is a bit clunky and is expensive- http://www.sirtrade.com/market.htm

The best TS solution I know of is to use the TS data into Ninjatrader which is FREE if you only use it to chart and to buy the MP add-on for about $250 one time cost.

wow that sirtrade MP is incredible but good lord that price is absurd.

Is the CBOT fee the reason why tradestation doesn't have much going on for market profile? It just doesn't seem like it can be that hard to code up to get the basic profile.

wow that sirtrade MP is incredible but good lord that price is absurd.

Is the CBOT fee the reason why tradestation doesn't have much going on for market profile? It just doesn't seem like it can be that hard to code up to get the basic profile.

Yeah you're right...I think $250 (for Ninjatrader MP) is a little overboard...I am sure coding it is really no different than any other indicator. lol

well compared to Sirtrade at 400 euros a year and 7 bucks a month CBOT fee that Ninja plugin looks like real a bargain. I think 250 is a fair price for that that does, it looks pretty too.

thanks for that waveslider, I will check that out.

Try this one, you have to fool around with the fonts of the letters and zoom in here and there.

I used it on 5min Chart, I got error message "array bounds"

Could you tell me what wrong with my settting, I used default setting.

Thanks

B_cerk

Does anyone know of a current Market Profile indicator for TradeStation, fee-based or otherwise?

This response is quite late, but I recently purchased a market profile indicator from don disharoon, email is dondish@erols.net

It neatly plots market profile using day session data only and includes a side indicator showing the developing value area high/low/poc on minute bars. I believe he offers a one week free trial. FYI: You cannot merge days nor does the indicator work on overnight sessions, but his price is very fair.

This response is quite late, but I recently purchased a market profile indicator from don disharoon, email is dondish@erols.net

It neatly plots market profile using day session data only and includes a side indicator showing the developing value area high/low/poc on minute bars. I believe he offers a one week free trial. FYI: You cannot merge days nor does the indicator work on overnight sessions, but his price is very fair.

What is the exact price that he charges for his indicator ? does it work's well in Tradestation 8.2 ? :confused:

What is the exact price that he charges for his indicator ? does it work's well in Tradestation 8.2 ? :confused:

E-mail Don and ask for price.

I have run the indicators in both TS 8.2 and 8.3 without a problem