Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Market Profile Are you a market profile trader? Post here.

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #33

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 29
Ignore this user

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

hey Jerry, I love the technique. You have indeed taught me. My question today is with the FX. I have been interested in plotting the volume distribution on the forex but it does not seem to have the same results as plotting the distribution as with other vehicles. I guess my question is. If you plot the Volume and get the price on the close of the bar, as you could do with any simple volume indicator, would this be the same price (the peak volume point) as the peak volume price on the volume distribution histogram. I think my question is, what is the difference between the volume distribution and the volume?
danhoyda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #34

jperl's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rochester,NY
Posts: 363
Ignore this user

Thanks: 2
Thanked 417 Times in 82 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhoyda »
hey Jerry, I love the technique. You have indeed taught me. My question today is with the FX. I have been interested in plotting the volume distribution on the forex but it does not seem to have the same results as plotting the distribution as with other vehicles. I guess my question is. If you plot the Volume and get the price on the close of the bar, as you could do with any simple volume indicator, would this be the same price (the peak volume point) as the peak volume price on the volume distribution histogram. I think my question is, what is the difference between the volume distribution and the volume?
The answer to your question is no. When you plot volume for every bar, the single bar with the largest volume is not the PVP. To obtain the PVP you have to sum all the volumes for each price and find the price with the largest sum. This sum could be from a price with lots of small volumes occurring many times and may not be anywhere near the price bar with the largest volume.
__________________
JERRY

---I'm going to trade til I'm 100, or die trying----
jperl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #35

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 29
Ignore this user

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

I think I understand better. Thanks Jerry.
danhoyda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
ns6

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6
Ignore this user

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

Are a bunch of posts deleted in this thread? Didn't see anything informative after the first post by jperl.
ns6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #37

BlowFish's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In Da House
Posts: 3,233
Ignore this user

Thanks: 129
Thanked 1,080 Times in 708 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns6 »
Are a bunch of posts deleted in this thread? Didn't see anything informative after the first post by jperl.
Possibly. A couple of the later threads where somewhat shorter but I seem to remember this one being longer than 5 pages.
BlowFish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #38

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: nd
Posts: 20
Ignore this user

Thanks: 40
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

I'm little confused. I don't know what is the exact formula to calculate PVP. Infact, I have ensign trial, Ninjacator.com Volume at price indicator, Acme for ninja and amibroker indicator(VAP).

All are giving different values? If anyone can suggest a reliable indicator or exact formula to calculate PVP for ninja or amibroker?

Thanks.
delta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #39

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 70
Ignore this user

Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta »
I'm little confused. I don't know what is the exact formula to calculate PVP. Infact, I have ensign trial, Ninjacator.com Volume at price indicator, Acme for ninja and amibroker indicator(VAP).

All are giving different values? If anyone can suggest a reliable indicator or exact formula to calculate PVP for ninja or amibroker?

Thanks.
PVP is what it is: Peak Volume Price. Volume at price should provide the info, but I don't have Ninja so do not know if it would give you the correct historical info bar by bar or not but certainly it would be correct at end of day. I have seen indicators where it is estimated by assuming each price tick in a given bar has the same volume (ie total volume/total range) but the most correct way is to spit the data out by tick and aggregate the volume by price that way.
bh_trade is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bh_trade For This Useful Post:
delta (08-13-2015)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:34 AM   #40

arbtrader's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: London
Posts: 1
Ignore this user

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

It Seems to me the answer to why a market breaks out of an intraday range lies in the action on higher time frames. Look forward to seeing your analysis.
arbtrader is offline  
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread:

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retest on Lower Volume with Volume Gradient walterw Technical Analysis 3 04-16-2009 12:10 AM
Pre-market volume dupaski Technical Analysis 2 06-12-2007 10:53 PM
Trding volume in the futures market ryounkin Beginners Forum 3 01-12-2007 04:43 PM
Market Profile Trading Setup Soultrader Market Profile 58 11-17-2006 08:31 PM
Trading in a Dull Market Soultrader Technical Analysis 0 09-06-2006 11:44 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CS to VB integration by DeskLancer
2006-2011 Traders Laboratory, All Rights Reserved.