Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Market Profile Are you a market profile trader? Post here.

Like Tree4Likes
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #33

Ignore this user

Re: Trading With Market Statistics I. Volume Histogram

hey Jerry, I love the technique. You have indeed taught me. My question today is with the FX. I have been interested in plotting the volume distribution on the forex but it does not seem to have the same results as plotting the distribution as with other vehicles. I guess my question is. If you plot the Volume and get the price on the close of the bar, as you could do with any simple volume indicator, would this be the same price (the peak volume point) as the peak volume price on the volume distribution histogram. I think my question is, what is the difference between the volume distribution and the volume?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #34

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhoyda »
hey Jerry, I love the technique. You have indeed taught me. My question today is with the FX. I have been interested in plotting the volume distribution on the forex but it does not seem to have the same results as plotting the distribution as with other vehicles. I guess my question is. If you plot the Volume and get the price on the close of the bar, as you could do with any simple volume indicator, would this be the same price (the peak volume point) as the peak volume price on the volume distribution histogram. I think my question is, what is the difference between the volume distribution and the volume?
The answer to your question is no. When you plot volume for every bar, the single bar with the largest volume is not the PVP. To obtain the PVP you have to sum all the volumes for each price and find the price with the largest sum. This sum could be from a price with lots of small volumes occurring many times and may not be anywhere near the price bar with the largest volume.

---I'm going to trade til I'm 100, or die trying----
Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #35

Ignore this user

I think I understand better. Thanks Jerry.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
ns6

Ignore this user

Are a bunch of posts deleted in this thread? Didn't see anything informative after the first post by jperl.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #37

Ignore this user

Thanked 1,080 Times in 708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns6 »
Are a bunch of posts deleted in this thread? Didn't see anything informative after the first post by jperl.
Possibly. A couple of the later threads where somewhat shorter but I seem to remember this one being longer than 5 pages.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #38

Ignore this user

I'm little confused. I don't know what is the exact formula to calculate PVP. Infact, I have ensign trial, Ninjacator.com Volume at price indicator, Acme for ninja and amibroker indicator(VAP).

All are giving different values? If anyone can suggest a reliable indicator or exact formula to calculate PVP for ninja or amibroker?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #39

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta »
I'm little confused. I don't know what is the exact formula to calculate PVP. Infact, I have ensign trial, Ninjacator.com Volume at price indicator, Acme for ninja and amibroker indicator(VAP).

All are giving different values? If anyone can suggest a reliable indicator or exact formula to calculate PVP for ninja or amibroker?

Thanks.
PVP is what it is: Peak Volume Price. Volume at price should provide the info, but I don't have Ninja so do not know if it would give you the correct historical info bar by bar or not but certainly it would be correct at end of day. I have seen indicators where it is estimated by assuming each price tick in a given bar has the same volume (ie total volume/total range) but the most correct way is to spit the data out by tick and aggregate the volume by price that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to bh_trade For This Useful Post:
delta (08-13-2015)
Old 04-06-2016, 03:34 AM   #40

Ignore this user

It Seems to me the answer to why a market breaks out of an intraday range lies in the action on higher time frames. Look forward to seeing your analysis.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: