Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mikevru

Pivot Points and market/stocks

Can anyone explain how one can determine Pivot points in a market index or a stock? Jesse Livermore used these but I fail to understand how one realizes one is upon a Pivot Point as soon as it is reached (one can easily see them much after the fact on any chart).

Can one look at nasdaq to determine if there have been any recent Pivot Point indicators? Again, how does one actually determine (when it is happening) that a Pivot Point has been realized?

thanks,

Mike

I use pivot points every day in my trading. To learn more about them I recommend John Carter's book Mastering The Trade and also search out John Person's work on pivots. I usually fade the first move to a pivot of the day, and thereafter look to see what price does at other pivot points. On ranging days, I usually fade them and on trending days I will sell/buy a retracement back to the pivot. Most charting packages have pivot point indicators built in, or you can calculate your own before the trading day from Emini Day Trading or with a calculator or a spreadsheet.

Can anyone explain how one can determine Pivot points in a market index or a stock? Jesse Livermore used these but I fail to understand how one realizes one is upon a Pivot Point as soon as it is reached (one can easily see them much after the fact on any chart).

Can one look at nasdaq to determine if there have been any recent Pivot Point indicators? Again, how does one actually determine (when it is happening) that a Pivot Point has been realized?

thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Here are some links to look over:

Pivot Points - What are Pivot Points and Support/Resistance Levels?

Pivot Strategies: A Handy Tool

Pivot Point Trading Tutorial

I have uploaded A scanned article from stocks and commodities magazine on pivot points alongside the links. Also don't forgot to check out Soultrader's video's on pivots in the video section.:cool:

Pivots.pdf

I've been using pivots in my stock trading so far and its been working well. Just one question for you other traders out there as long as we're on the subject. How much credence do you give to the midpoint between pivots? I.e If price is moving towards R1 from the PP and touches the midpoint, does this trigger any signals for yourselves?

I've been using pivots in my stock trading so far and its been working well. Just one question for you other traders out there as long as we're on the subject. How much credence do you give to the midpoint between pivots? I.e If price is moving towards R1 from the PP and touches the midpoint, does this trigger any signals for yourselves?

Traders use pivots differently but I personally do not use midpoints. I see no signficance in them. The ONLY midpoint I MAY watch is the midpoiint between PP and S1 and PP and R1 only when the distance is great.