Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

tradergurl

Yoga - Relax, Refocus and Make More Money!

I've gone a few times here and there over the years but am always busy and stop going before I get into a routine... Practicing yoga is so calming and releases tension yet leaves you energized with more focus and patience which is so important to us traders! Sitting at the computer all day gives me a sore neck and frequent headaches so yoga will be beneficial for the mind and body.

I've read that there are quite a few big money management companies who have incorporated yoga classes for their traders.

I'm going to start going regularly a couple times a week and go for walks to get some fresh air too. Actually, I think I should make a goal to go regularly for 1 month so I can see the results.

Anyone do yoga regularly?

What do you mean by doing yoga though? Like exercise in general, I am pretty sure there are lots of different exercises which are designed to achieve certain desired effects. Some of these have got to be more useful for trading. Or do you think it's more about balancing the individual?

tradergurl re: "Anyone do yoga regularly?"

Bikram Yoga once or twice a week

Prasara Yoga once or twice a week

Indispensible to health and performance - period.

btw, those two forms are among the most physically demanding yogas...

ie if you settle for less ( like for some tame little 'western' yoga class) ,

then less is about all you can expect...

TN, See Yoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

etc etc

btw, (and evidenced in that article to some degree) the ‘west’ has so bought into the ‘nameste’ / peace and light images of yoga that the ‘fighting’ part is rarely mentioned. Any of the yoga’s, (whether it be the hatha yogas for a more secular day to day flow or the highest spiritual yoga’s) when properly practiced, involve bringing the just right for the moment balance of extertion and surrender. hth

I am not sure if hatha yoga or the autotrading platform of Zulutrade keeps me calm. :roll eyes: This platform's Signal Providers have saved me from a lot of stress which I had trying to deciding about the right trade. Now they do the hard work and I can have time for my yoga.

Zdo, when do you do practice your yoga? Whenever you can fit it in or do you find it more beneficial to do it consistently in the am or pm?

I've been so busy that I haven't started yet but next week is the week!!!

Zdo, when do you do practice your yoga? Whenever you can fit it in or do you find it more beneficial to do it consistently in the am or pm?

I've been so busy that I haven't started yet but next week is the week!!!

I have tried both ypes in the morning and neither are right for me AM. I suspect there are some TCM type reasons...

The best time I have found so far is circa 6 PM by an hour or + or -. For me, later than that and the risk of not being able to fall immediately asleep starts to rise. hth

I use a stretching routine from the Egosque organization that I found on a dvd ordered from Amazon. There are some sample exercises on youtube.

This is indespensible for my old broken down body. LOL

my wife and i do yoga once every week or so. its amazing how poses and stretches can really relieve the stress build-up in the neck and shoulders from sitting in front of a computer all day. but the best part is the little nap we take at the end of a session!

MMS

Bikram for me, I just luv the sweating :)

Question... Do any of you gurus recommend doing yoga every day? Maybe twice a day?

I have a few months off work and I really want to get into it again so I can have a fresh start in my life mentally and physically.

I am a beginner BUT I'm no wimp when it comes to physical stuff

Edited by pa18

...recommend doing yoga every day? Maybe twice a day?

I have a few months off work ...

pa,

re: “have a few months off work”

Consider taking the Bikram 30 (or 60!) day challenge… geometric benefits… life changing health… :) :)

all the best,

zdo

Hi ZDO!

I've signed up at pure fitness/yoga and they have similar called hot yoga, the same (or almost the same) moves as bikram, I guess the package rename because of copyright stuff. Anyway, two weeks and 8 days of 1 hr lessons so far .... feels good but totally humbled, you think you know your body but phffff..... out of the window. No 30/60 day challenge like bikram but I challenge myself to do it everyday.

Most the ladies there seem to be as graceful and supple as a butterfly when this guy (me) walks in like metallic robot, argh!

I'm still have trouble breathing when doing some moves, still need more attention the breath is the most important I think.

Take care,

Pete

...ladies there seem to be as graceful and supple as a butterfly when this guy (me) walks in like metallic robot...

They bring in flexibility. You bring in strength.

They are adding strength. You are adding flexibility. :)

re:

hot yoga, the same (or almost the same) moves as bikram.
Typically I'm not even close to being a purist on these kinds of things but in this case I would say, if you can, do Bikram 1.5 hr. sessions instead of the spinoff class. Odds are facilitators who are not Bikram certified will be less likely to integrate and time the meditative aspects as thoroughly, or be able to give you best real time (and long term) guidance on things like the breath, or optimizing exertion, rest periods, etc.

All the best,

zdo

Hi ZDO,

The bikram centre closed a few years back in this country, something to do with licencing problems and friction between the franchise agent and bikram head office. Anyway after they closed, some instructors bikram qualified moved to Pure Yoga centre and hence that's where 'Hot Yoga' formed. So it seems I'm well looked after apart from one crappy instructor but overall happy.

Don't really care about the 26 postures really, I just want motivation and a hot place to sweat and stretch.

Sometimes forex cause me a lot of stress.

Noticed that manual trades cause me more stress than the zulutrade' s signals I receive as well, propably because I am the only responsible for these trades and not my signal providers. I have thought that mobile forex could help me stay relaxed as makes it possible for me to check the account everywhere and anytime. So I bought an ipad but now I am thinking of the trades all the time.

The thing is that my yoga lessons has stopped for the summer time so I really have no way to relax.

Could forex be unhealthy?

Sometimes forex cause me a lot of stress.

Noticed that manual trades cause me more stress than the zulutrade' s signals I receive as well, propably because I am the only responsible for these trades and not my signal providers. I have thought that mobile forex could help me stay relaxed as makes it possible for me to check the account everywhere and anytime. So I bought an ipad but now I am thinking of the trades all the time.

The thing is that my yoga lessons has stopped for the summer time so I really have no way to relax.

Could forex be unhealthy?

forex is so stressy,that you can feel the sensation to have the head fuse with a consequence of nervous stress.that can transform in ossidative stress.i made fitness but never with almost 30 minutes of pilates that put the body and mind in a good equilibrium,after you stay better with the healt and the body.is good for a traders because help the posture and gift a graceful carriage many useful for who work many hour with the monitor.

forex is so stressy,that you can feel the sensation to have the head fuse with a consequence of nervous stress.that can transform in ossidative stress.i made fitness but never with almost 30 minutes of pilates that put the body and mind in a good equilibrium,after you stay better with the healt and the body.is good for a traders because help the posture and gift a graceful carriage many useful for who work many hour with the monitor.

Hmm. Do you think it is better to accept trading as a stressful type of activity, have an awareness of it and then de-stress later, or is it better to strive towards a mellow stress-free state while trading? Is there a simple answer or is it something which depends on the individual?

I think every person is different and will feel and handle stress in their own way. But stress can be controlled and managed to a level where you can be as cool as a cucumber in the heat of the moment.

Yoga is helping I think, breathing deeply into the area where my muscles feels tightening up due to a stressful situation is good as I feel that part relaxing. Once I'm calm, charts do look clearer. Not sure if it's wishful thinking but I guess no harm in believing it's working. Need more time before all the work comes naturally.

Hmm. Do you think it is better to accept trading as a stressful type of activity, have an awareness of it and then de-stress later, or is it better to strive towards a mellow stress-free state while trading? Is there a simple answer or is it something which depends on the individual?

trading and especially forex for me is stressy activity,but all depend to the life style of an individual.if you make a job like trading (but isn't the only stressy job),tha put you in a ever stress condition,because your brain needed to stay ever alert especially if you made scalping.make a sport like yoga or pilates ,i mentioned pilates because his inventor PILATES studied oriental discipline like yoga in orient,and in alternative to yoga you can make pilates without problem,especially if you couple this discipline with a bit of meditation,you can help your body and especially your mind to get a good equilibrium psycho.phisic.you can start after your daily work session,or before.the important is that become part of you and only when your body and your soul needed in natural way the necessity,you can say that is your lifestile,because you feel that cannot live without it.the ossidative stress is a very important topic ,many doctors studied the dangerous effect on the human being.this stress come when the radical-free take the upper hand on us.we must avoid all the wrong comportament that increase.it.this is for me a good lifestyle that can help to lessen the stress of forex,or better help you to trade without stress.

....mellow stress-free state while trading? Is there a simple answer or is it something which depends on the individual?

Think it is individual.Let's look why trading can freak out traders.

As it is all between ears,good old brain can kick in with believes,emotions,over sized ego...

Those things are having influence on trading results thus if not in check they will lead to loses.

And there you have a stressful situation,which can lead to greater mental struggle,which can lead to even more loses.

So it's like cursed action-reaction circle.

Let's face it,if someone is trading tested and trusted strategy,is profitable during course of couple of years,there is no reason to be stressed out because of trading.

OT;

Anyone do yoga regularly?

For last 2.5 years i am doing form of yoga and it helped me drastically in general when it comes to mental side of trading.And as i am firm believer that trading is 90% psychology i also believe that any form of improving your self on mental side can and will help with trading:2c:

Beside yoga i am doing Ving Tsun Kuen Kung Fu,which is not just about mindless fighting.Philosophy of VTK Kung Fu can be applied in everyday life,ideas are simple and powerful same as fighting part of VTK.

This martial art is also something that i love and it have helped me a lot.

Edited by VTK

VTK perhaps to truly harness the power of at ease thought(not necessarily relaxed as such), it is better to pursue both a competent strategy avoiding the stress in the first place AND de-stress afterwards regardless. After all, if we are less stressed in the first place, it takes less to come down from any emotional state does it not? This way it's harder for stress to build up over time and there will be less intense ups and downs in your emotions. Most trading battles however, are won and lost not in front of the screen but in preparation for the task ahead. So being consistent in emotion all the time allows you to be level headed in your thinking of the market pre-trading too.

VTK perhaps to truly harness the power of at ease thought(not necessarily relaxed as such), it is better to pursue both a competent strategy avoiding the stress in the first place AND de-stress afterwards regardless....

Yes...it's like being in balance,walking the golden path of the middle..

In a way that if one is spending lots of time in front of screen than it would be good idea to do some mind/body recreation in order to "cancel" "extreme behavior" of sitting too much in front of screen thus getting her/him self back in balance.

Maybe not the best example of mine thought but i think we are on same page...