Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

Ignore this user

Keeping Yourself Fuelled for Trade

So this thread is all about maintaining a good balanced diet to ensure your mind has the correct nutrition and energy levels to function at the highest level while you trade.

Think of it this way- would you buy a Ferrari then fill it up with heating oil? If you were Usain Bolt's trainer, would you feed him a juicy beefburger before a race? Well, I hope most people realise the correct answer to these questions!!

So, if there is sense in the above, why shouldn't traders, especially day traders, ensure they are at their peak mentally and physically when they make critical decisions sometimes in split seconds??

I believe we all know that they should.

TheNegotiator.

Sovereign Debt Yield Spreads

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Day Trading the E-mini Futures
- Discussing and trading the E-minis every day!

Bigger Picture in E-minis Discussion
- Tryin' to see the wood for the trees ;)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: Keeping Yourself Fuelled for Trade

Here's a tip from me that I'm guilty of not always following.

There's a lot of anxiety with trading. There's a lot of immediate satisfaction with eating garbage - sugar, fat, calories.

I've been known in an especially stressful or lousy trading day to toss out all the rules and eat horribly, including while trading.

What works for me is always trying to have some healthy snacks on hand. If they are there, convenient, etc... it's a lot easier and I find I don't always reach for the crap that way. When however it needs to be prepared, etc... -- I'm going to reach for the sugar bomb.

Speaking of sugar, there's plenty of "fake" healthy foods out there, it's shocking how much sugar is in a health bar. Keep it single digits on the sugar grams.

MMS

Featured Brokers include:
NinjaTrader

Featured Services:
INO Trading Course
The Following User Says Thank You to MadMarketScientist For This Useful Post:
ALexLutiera (03-06-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #3

Ignore this user

There is much that is really bad with eating refined sugar full stop, not just putting on weight and risking diabetes. So if you have a sugar rush, the affect is amplified. Not conducive for good trading!! Just google "refined sugar health effects" for some of the effects on your body. Don't even get me started on HFCS which is in pretty much anything you can think of!

TheNegotiator.

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheNegotiator For This Useful Post:
Tams (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Ignore this user

For health and nutritional information, I suggest the website:

mercola.com

They cover many topics like exercise, supplements, food and water quality and lifestyle. I have personally benefited from their probiotics, after dealing with digestion problems. I don't work for them, and I have absolutely no connection to them except as a satisfied customer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tradewinds For This Useful Post:
kellih (04-21-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Ignore this user

I eat a lot of peanut butter. I only eat natural peanut butter. Look at the ingredients. If it states anything other than peanuts, and/or salt, then I don't buy it. It's protien, so it helps stabilize your blood sugar swings. Natural peanut butter will have oil on the top when you buy it, just stir it up, then refrigerate it so the oil won't separate out.
Plus I eat yogurt, bananas, and oatmeal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tradewinds For This Useful Post:
TheNegotiator (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #6

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewinds »
I eat a lot of peanut butter. I only eat natural peanut butter. Look at the ingredients. If it states anything other than peanuts, and/or salt, then I don't buy it. It's protien, so it helps stabilize your blood sugar swings. Natural peanut butter will have oil on the top when you buy it, just stir it up, then refrigerate it so the oil won't separate out.
Plus I eat yogurt, bananas, and oatmeal.
Sounds like a nice balance. How do you eat though? 3 meals a day or take a little food here a little food there?

TheNegotiator.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

Ignore this user

Here's another benefit of why considering what you eat is important, not only for energy and concentration levels. As traders, it's not like we ever want to pull a "sicky" or what ever you might call it. Take the day off work under the pretence of being ill. If you actually WANT to do this, may I recommend having a look at the stuff over in our Psychology forum!! Anyway, inevitably people do get sick and this can along with medicines, inhibit the speed and overall effectiveness of your decision making. So that is not helpful for pretty much any trader. However, with a considered dietary or supplemental intake of certain vitamins and minerals(I think vit C and zinc are commonly mentioned), studies have shown that people may tend to get ill fewer times over the course of a year than those who have less intake of said vit/mins. So for me (if I am good at what I do!!) fewer times of being ill = fewer days off = more profit.

TheNegotiator.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #8

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNegotiator »
Sounds like a nice balance. How do you eat though? 3 meals a day or take a little food here a little food there?
I have never been one to eat a huge meal. I eat 3 regular meals at set times, but I've never eaten huge amounts at a meal. I think that is important. I do eat in between meals, but I'm one of those people who just doesn't gain any weight.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: