Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #17

Ignore this user

Re: Keeping Yourself Fuelled for Trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock »
"Lunch is for sissies!" The Gecko

I become a monstrous risk taker when hungry. You have got to eat something proper!
Definitely. I also struggle when I eat a big lunch. Used to go out sometimes in the winter months to get a roast lunch. Just way too filling though and far more conducive to having a bit of a kip than actually trading some more.

TheNegotiator.

Sovereign Debt Yield Spreads

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Day Trading the E-mini Futures
- Discussing and trading the E-minis every day!

Bigger Picture in E-minis Discussion
- Tryin' to see the wood for the trees ;)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #18

Ignore this user

As usual with all things, its about keeping some sort of semblance with balance. A big meal would equate to the same effect through a different route.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #19

Ignore this user

Trading is all about balance and imbalance!

TheNegotiator.

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #20

Ignore this user

Ah, food. One of my favorite topics! I live in California so the day starts early for me and I get hungry only after things start rolling in the market. I try to have hard boiled eggs on hand or a protein smoothie in the blender. And I add my all time favorite: avocado on sprouted-wheat toast. (You would probably know I was from California just from that last statement). The fat (good fat) in the avocado holds me over until lunch and it has medium-chain fatty acids are actually used by the brain as a source of energy.

I like Dr. Daniel Amen's work on diet and brain health. Here is a link to his site: Amen Clinics Don't be put off by the commercial look of the site - this guy really knows his stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to FXGirl For This Useful Post:
kellih (04-21-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #21

Ignore this user

Sounds like a good nutritious combo FXGirl! May I ask though, are you an advocate of 3 meals a day or do you prefer many light mini-meals? I don't really like that term but didn't want to put snacks as I think it engenders the wrong ideas about what to eat for many. I personally prefer eating less but more frequently if I can. I am definitely not great at doing this though as it really goes against a lifetime of habit!!!

TheNegotiator.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #22

Ignore this user

I've found my 2x8 "diet" pretty effective. 2 glasses of water before each meal, no food after 8p. Pretty simple, but it keeps me dialed in all summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimRacette For This Useful Post:
dwt (04-04-2013)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #23

Ignore this user

I'm with you on the tall glasses of water before a meal. I'm not great about doing it every meal but I know if I'm about to have a "crappy" meal this will prevent me from going crazy. I also fight to be about 80% full and not push it - I subscribe to the theory that it takes your mind time to catch up -- and I find if I can put the fork down in about 10 minutes I'll feel 100% full.

It's like trading, always got to trick yourself because usually "we" stand in our own way!

MMS

Featured Brokers include:
NinjaTrader

Featured Services:
INO Trading Course
Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #24

Ignore this user

Hi, Negotiator: I truly believe that everyone's body is different and that the best system is the one that works best for your body. I eat three meals with healthy snacks (nuts, fruit, veggies) in between. Like others on this thread, being hungry isn't good for my decision-making.

But what messes even more with my ability to stay focused and disciplined is lack of sleep. I need my 8 1/2 hours! On 8 1/2 life is beautiful and I am a calm and loving person. On less.... Because I'm on the west coast, it's been tough getting enough sleep and getting up at 4:30 AM was pure pain. I finally gave up, decided to listen to my body, and now I get up around 6 AM and just take what the market gives me in the hours I have to trade. I'm happier, my husband is happier, the kids are happier, and interestingly, I'm more profitable.

Tim: I'm amazed at your sleep schedule. I can't imagine doing that, but the fact that you can, and that you function well, supports my theory that everyone's body is different. When I was a freshman in college, there was a girl in the dorm that only needed 3 hours of sleep a night - of course, she drove her roommate crazy and they finally gave her a room of her own. I really envied her. What a boon to have an extra 5 hours a day; I could certainly use that now.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: