Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Like Tree12Likes
Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Ignore this user

The Positive Benefits of Exercise for Traders

Hi,

This is a new forum and so needs some threads!

I feel one of the important aspects of being motivated to do exercise is understanding the benefits it can bring in helping you to achieve your goals, not least in trading. Of course health is something that will really improve with considered exercise, yet to operate when trading, at the highest level of performance, having a decent and relative level of fitness could help.

In this thread I hope you guys may share some of your insights and experiences into all the benefits of exercise you may have seen or heard of in relation to trading!

TheNegotiator.

Sovereign Debt Yield Spreads

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Day Trading the E-mini Futures
- Discussing and trading the E-minis every day!

Bigger Picture in E-minis Discussion
- Tryin' to see the wood for the trees ;)
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: The Positive Benefits of Exercise for Traders

Hugely important topic.

We all spend so much time stuck to your desk and computer that you start to forget just how bad that is on your body. I know when I go exercise and comeback my charts just seem clearer and I'm able to function at a higher level.

Unfortunately I get bogged down and sometimes spend a whole day at the desk and hardly move except for the bathroom or food/drink break. I know my posture goes to crap, and my neck and back start to hurt.

A few solutions that have worked for me or I try to implement.

I wear "Fitbit" basically it keeps track of how many steps I've taken in a day - uses Wii type technology - I'm sure you can search for it online. It's easy to lose so be careful given the investment - however, I have to keep score with everything (maybe why I trade?) and this is a great way to use technology. You should be taking 8,000 - 10,000+ steps a day -- bad news for today? I've only taken 1500 so far. Not good so I use that to motivate myself to get out of here (when this post is done of course!) and get some exercise. My neck and back will thank me.

I like a book named "You Are Your Own Gym" -- find it easy on Amazon. It's really easy to come up with some exercises you can do by your desk while you trade. If you're waiting on a set-up it will give you some things you can do without any equipment needed and it's as tough as you want it to be. Great book for that.

Another good piece of equipment is a Kettle Bell. Do some swings with a kettle bell in the office takes just minutes, can be super tough but you don't have to leave your trades.

I've also set-up a treadmill desk before but that's a topic for another post!

MMS

Featured Brokers include:
NinjaTrader

Featured Services:
INO Trading Course
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #3

Ignore this user

I want to say a little in my next few posts about the chemical changes that happen to your body and brain when you exercise. But just a quick post right now.

So many of us in all walks of life get stuck behind a desk all day. At some point we are all likely to want to lose a few pounds here and there (substitute the word "few" for whatever number you like!). Because of the nature of trading, it is never the best idea to go on some instant results type of diet. You feel drained and often the built up toxins in your body all coming out at once do not do much good for your mind. However, exercise with a considered diet - I mean no junk food and lots of beer, can sort you out without interfering with your trading too much. This is my opinion anyway!

TheNegotiator.

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #4

Ignore this user

Trading is a very sedentary lifestyle. I have started running up and down the stairs to get my heart rate up during the day, and increasing my fitness. My problem with exercise is that it becomes a chore that I don't want to do. So I'm focusing on keeping it quick and simple. No sweat, no clothing change, no need to shower afterward. I have been surprised at the increase in my endurance and cardiovascular health from doing stair climbing. I don't need to go outdoors. It is fast and convenient. I do a certain number of reps up and down the stairs, then take a short break. If you are not in good shape, just walk up and down the stairs. Just do what you can, and don't worry about it. I am always pushing myself harder and harder, but with exercise, it just doesn't work for me. I just give up after while. I actually like doing the stair climbing. I can feel myself getting stronger, and I see the progress very quickly. I'm impatient, so I want to see results, or I loose interest.
I'm not going to tell you how many times I run up and down the stairs, or how many cycles I do, because there is no correct number. Actually, I wasn't feeling well for a while, so I backed off for a while until I got over my viral infection.
Again, my problem is that I push myself to hard, and too quickly, then it's more pain than it's worth. So I had to change my attitude. My goal is just to get my heart rate up during the day. If my strength increases, fine, I do a little more, but if I start dreaming about being in such good shape that I could run a marathon, then I "bite off more than I can chew", and then I just quit.
I run up and down the stairs, then walk around the house for a minute of two until my heart rate goes down. If I feel like doing another round, then I do another round.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tradewinds For This Useful Post:
Ingot54 (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #5

Ignore this user

I try to jump on my schwinn airdyne 2-3 times a week. it's a great all-around full-body exercise. i like it cause i don't have to mess with weights or different routines, like the P90X that my son uses. so if you're looking for something simple and effective, check it out

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Airdyn...8843701&sr=1-1
Old 02-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Ignore this user

Exercise is important to life!

Also, If trading is so much like poker, then i would expect that a lot of traders look like poker players. I play poker in Connecticut and some of those guys are grotesquely obese. A benefit of screen trading is that I do not have to see your disgusting fat ass bidding and offering while you chow down Chinese take out.
even steven, TheDude and kuokam like this.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #7

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse »
Exercise is important to life!

Also, If trading is so much like poker, then i would expect that a lot of traders look like poker players. I play poker in Connecticut and some of those guys are grotesquely obese. A benefit of screen trading is that I do not have to see your disgusting fat ass bidding and offering while you chow down Chinese take out.
Do you think that in long endurance type games of poker, these guys would have a better or a worse chance of success if they lost a little weight, got a little fitter and became less "grotesque"? I think trading does have similarities to poker. Some ways in which the games are played are technically very different in delivery though.

TheNegotiator.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheNegotiator For This Useful Post:
edwarddevis (02-24-2012)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #8

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNegotiator »
Do you think that in long endurance type games of poker, these guys would have a better or a worse chance of success if they lost a little weight, got a little fitter and became less "grotesque"? I think trading does have similarities to poker. Some ways in which the games are played are technically very different in delivery though.
Of course eating healthy would help.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: