Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Like Tree12Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #9

Ignore this user

Re: The Positive Benefits of Exercise for Traders

It's amazing though how people eat. Traders and non-traders alike. There was a point when I first started where on my way to work I'd pick up a bacon butty or a sausage sandwich at least every other day. Then probably have a sandwich at lunch from a big chain shop and maybe a ready meal at dinner. All of which tend to use low grade high margin ingredients which just don't help your body out too much in the long run. I didn't want to have to be bothered with food too much and what/how I was going to eat. Once I realised I just didn't have the mental stamina to sit in front of a screen concentrating for any length of time, the question became one of could I afford to not be bothered...

TheNegotiator.

Sovereign Debt Yield Spreads

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Day Trading the E-mini Futures
- Discussing and trading the E-minis every day!

Bigger Picture in E-minis Discussion
- Tryin' to see the wood for the trees ;)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #10

Ignore this user

So a chemical specific change which may be due to the amount of exercise we take is the level/function of seratonin(this is also associated with diet). Seratonin is a neurotransmitter. It (among other chemicals) helps to balance mood by supporting sleep, easing anxiety and relieving depression. Hmm. Pretty good for traders if you ask me...

TheNegotiator.

Sovereign Debt Yield Spreads

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Day Trading the E-mini Futures
- Discussing and trading the E-minis every day!

Bigger Picture in E-minis Discussion
- Tryin' to see the wood for the trees ;)

Last edited by TheNegotiator; 02-28-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #11

Ignore this user

One of the interesting things about exercise is that it is one of the very few things that has scientifically tested out to improve brain function and even offer resistance against dementia. Most things simply don't work to a statistically significant level but aerobic exercise does.

It seems that by improving the health of our circulatory system we don't just keep ourselves alive longer but keep ourselves thinking clearly for longer. I'm willing to bet that this helps us as traders.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #12

Ignore this user

One of the best things I've done is set-up a treadmill desk. It's not my main desk I work from -- since you can't be 100% effective with other work from it, but for trading it's great. Basically a treadmill that slides underneath a work surface that is cranked to a desireable level -- meaning you're standing and walking on the treadmill and you can use the keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc... while moving. I'm not saying you'll get into a sprint, and trade but you can walk fairly briskly and what I've found is I can slow it down when I need to make a trade/changes and then a lot of the time (80%+) I'm just waiting for the market to do something. Those times I just hit the up arrow for more speed.

This way you are putting in no additional time, yet you can get in several thousand steps over the course of a normaly daytrading session (let's say 1-2 hours) -- most people avoid exercise because of the time as well - but this is a great way to put in no additional time and you're basically just multi-tasking while trading....

MMS
even steven likes this.

Featured Brokers include:
NinjaTrader

Featured Services:
INO Trading Course
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadMarketScientist For This Useful Post:
jovis (07-19-2011), Tradewinds (03-01-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #13

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarketScientist »
One of the best things I've done is set-up a treadmill desk. It's not my main desk I work from -- since you can't be 100% effective with other work from it, but for trading it's great. Basically a treadmill that slides underneath a work surface that is cranked to a desireable level -- meaning you're standing and walking on the treadmill and you can use the keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc... while moving. I'm not saying you'll get into a sprint, and trade but you can walk fairly briskly and what I've found is I can slow it down when I need to make a trade/changes and then a lot of the time (80%+) I'm just waiting for the market to do something. Those times I just hit the up arrow for more speed.

This way you are putting in no additional time, yet you can get in several thousand steps over the course of a normaly daytrading session (let's say 1-2 hours) -- most people avoid exercise because of the time as well - but this is a great way to put in no additional time and you're basically just multi-tasking while trading....

MMS
I can completely envision you on the treadmill and trading at the same time. However, in my mind you get into a bad trade and are trying to manage the trade and the speed of the treadmill at the same time. I can hear the Benny Hill music playing.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #14

Ignore this user

I used to sit in on a signal service where the guy calling the trades was on one. He said the key for him was to always maintain a pace where it was brisk, but never out of breath or breathing heavily. That always helped him maintain control.

Thought it might wreak havoc on the coffee drinking.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #15

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi »
One of the interesting things about exercise is that it is one of the very few things that has scientifically tested out to improve brain function and even offer resistance against dementia. Most things simply don't work to a statistically significant level but aerobic exercise does.

It seems that by improving the health of our circulatory system we don't just keep ourselves alive longer but keep ourselves thinking clearly for longer. I'm willing to bet that this helps us as traders.
So True Kiwi, there have been extensive scientific studies on the positive effects of endorphins released form exercise and a direct lift in mood. Not only do feel better after I exercise, but I think clearer and come up with some of my best ideas while I'm exercising. I ride bikes and hopping on the bike after trading keeps me balanced and my head clear for trading the next day.

I also find that breaking up my day into chunks or time blocks helps recharge the system.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #16

Ignore this user

extremely true kiwi,me too in two post that i wrote i talk about the positive effect that sports had to our health and brain.especially when we feel us confused and tired,training help us to improve the psycho-phisical condition and also trading get better.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: