Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Any P90x'ers on Board?

I just completed week 1 of my first go at p90x.

If you're not sure what p90x is, search google as there's a bunch of stuff on it. Basically it's an intense workout regime that lasts for 90 days.

Just wondering if there are any other p90x'ers on board - past or present - to get a discussion going. I believe there was 1 in the chat room when I visited at some point, but can't recall who it was.

And if you are looking to get into shape and/or try a different workout, check this thing out. It's pretty intense and an all-around great full body workout.

Good luck with that, staying in shape is very important. Personally, I will never purchase something like that to get exercise. If you really want to get in shape, run 7-14 miles/day depending on how much you can handle (14 miles is not for the casual runner usually as it is hard on your body), do push-ups and sit-ups, add a lifting routine if you want to add muscle mass, and stretch a lot. You will be able to eat and drink whatever you want, and you should be in the best shape you've ever been in. Simple and effective.

PS: Not knocking you personally BF, I just think that those video routines are a waste of money and kind of a trap for people who don't know how to stay fit.

PPS: I don't have any in depth knowledge of p90x.

PPPS: Any exercise is better than no exercise, so if p90x is all you have, go for it.

Staying and getting in shape is important diablo, I agree 100%.

I started p90x to change things up and I know quite a few that have done very well with it. Normally the infomercial type stuff is a turnoff for me, but knowing actual people that have done it and gotten great results sold me. Example - a guy I play poker with lost over 40lbs doing it. And I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

:)

Here's what I like about the program:

> You work your entire body throughout the week

> You do muscle building, cardio, stretching, and balance

> Every 30 days, the program changes (muscle confusion as they call it)

> It's FREAKIN HARD - the first week was brutal, but I felt great after

> It's different - not the same thing over and over and over again

Like I said, if I didn't know anyone that had done it, I probably wouldn't have bothered but after seeing some real results, it got my attention.

Awesome! , very good research BF. Changing up your workout constantly is the key to success especially if weight loss is goal.

Think of a well trained runner or swimmer. They can perform at very high levels of exertion with less energy expenditure than someone who is not trained.

In other words, if you become very efficient at an activity, you will be able to endure greater loads with less fuel being consumed by your body.

So, the key to burning more calories is changing up your fitness routine often.

Remember, I am talking about losing weight and getting in to a healthier lifestyle.

If power lifting or strength conditioning was priority, the you would design a program and stay with it for quit some time to see an increase in the % of the load you are lifting.

Not your goal here. Your goal sounds like what you have discovered, and that is to live a life of health and fitness

Changing up your routine is key.

Being inefficient at an activity can actually burn a higher amount of calories than an activity you are fully adapted to. . . as if you tried basketball for the first time ( higher expenditure) than if you have played constantly for years ( adaptive ).

Also get familiar with this. . .

Mets = Metabolic Equivalents.

You can find the quality research on health and fitness here on these sites.

They are the leaders and the gold standard in the fitness industry.

ACSM | For the Exercise Sciences and Clinical Sports Medicine

you can find free articles to the right on website.

National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)

Congratulations on you goal to a healthier lifestyle !!!

I went through p90x last fall. I had got in a rut and needed a change and p90x was perfect for that. Although, I didn't see much in the order of results it was well worth the money. I was already in fairly good shape and was running 15 miles a week and doing moderate weight lifting. I did lose about 10lbs., but more importantly it kept me from gaining another 10lbs that I normally do every winter. I will probably give it another go this fall or winter as I am already getting bored again with my regular workouts.

Good luck and stick to the routine as much as possible, depending on what your goals are that is.

I just completed week 1 of my first go at p90x...

You should post a picture of your torso every week...

This might turn out to be a more popular thread than your P/L journal.

;-)>

You should post a picture of your torso every week...

This might turn out to be a more popular thread than your P/L journal.

;-)>

And provide any proof that this thing works?

What?

That's blasphemy around here.

No need for any proof whatsover.

:rofl:

My wife works the P90X into her weekly change up. I really prefer to go lift at the gym and I do the exercise bike after lifting for cardio. There is something that feels so good about pushing your own limits and seeing your strength progress. After you have leveled off in your progression with P90X you should really try some old fashioned lifting. Most of my male friends all agree after getting into the habit of lifting it becomes obvious that lifting is just necessary for guys to feel their best.

Keep up the P90X long enough and you will have built a great habit into your life.

Here's BF in 90

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeiwLLZjDo]YouTube - Damien Walters Showreel 2009[/ame]

:)

PS Imorgan, you're right though. Nothing beats lifting heavy .

Edited by zdo

Zodo...Great video, thanks

BF, although I have never seen the full px90 workouts, from what I have seen they look like a well rounded workout.

I have tried everytype of sport and workout.....My favorit is crossfit. You get the same pump as lifting wieghts with the benifit of substance to back it up, sort of speak :)

I did some p90x back in 2007 and lost 35 pounds. One thing I must stress is eating a good diet. My diet consist of almost even proportions of fat, protein and carbohydrates. I read once from a workout guru, "you can't out train a bad diet.". Keep this in mind as you push through the p90x workout system. Recently I have been running one p90x workout, called Interval X plus. After lots of reading, I found lots of good information about high intensity interval training. Either way, best of luck to you and as I always health before wealth.

I'm still in the planning stage on starting P90x. :haha:

I really need the exercise for my physical and mental health esp before the semester begins. TOG, I know that you know what I mean.

I found a new Muay Thai/mma gym that is run by a protege of my instructor.

I'm thinking about going there to start up training again but I'm hesitant due to injuries.

UPDATE: finished my first round w/ p90x and real happy w/ the results.

A few results for the numbers guys:

Weight: down 7%

Body fat: down 17.9%

Flexibility: up massively

Muscle gain: moderate results (biggest development was abdominal area)

The program did what I wanted - which was to drop weight and body fat. That was my primary goal heading into it and I'm happy w/ the results. The biggest surprise for me was how flexible I now am! With the amount of stretching and holds you do in this program, you increase flexibility quite a bit. I just feel 'looser' and not as tense.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this. It's a 90 day program, which isn't much to ask IMO. And if insanity hadn't come out, I would be doing another cycle of p90x.

Next up: Insanity

And from what I've heard, p90x is a warmup compared to this program. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

UPDATE: finished my first round w/ p90x and real happy w/ the results.

A few results for the numbers guys:

Weight: down 7%

Body fat: down 17.9%

Congrats !!!! nice work there !

Keep it up BF. You are doing a steady pace on the weight loss and you are definitely feeling better with those results.

Go for insanity, you have the motivation now.

I am doing insanity right now. Interval style training will kick your ass regardless of your fitness level. Nice results from the P90x 1st run. Try to eat several hours before doing the insanity workouts, otherwise you may lose your lunch.

Congrats !!!! nice work there !

Keep it up BF. You are doing a steady pace on the weight loss and you are definitely feeling better with those results.

Go for insanity, you have the motivation now.

I agree, insanity starts next Monday. Taking this week as a breather.

I am doing insanity right now. Interval style training will kick your ass regardless of your fitness level. Nice results from the P90x 1st run. Try to eat several hours before doing the insanity workouts, otherwise you may lose your lunch.

Great to hear TOG. Seems you are 1 step ahead of me, which is awesome to get real-time feedback. If you have any other tips, please post here or PM me. Thanks

I would really like to do the P90X or Insanity. I have lost 60 lbs. over the past 7 months or so eating right, up to an hour a day of cardio (elliptical machine) and light workout of weights. I really would like to do a full body intense workout like those.

Week 7 of P90X right now. I got a dramatic increase in my pull up count and back strength. After 23 years, I can finally see my abs well enough to call a six pack ;) (especially in the morning) Most important, the cardio is supreme in this program. If you aren't in shape, it will at least do that for you.

I would really like to do the P90X or Insanity. I have lost 60 lbs. over the past 7 months or so eating right, up to an hour a day of cardio (elliptical machine) and light workout of weights. I really would like to do a full body intense workout like those.

Do p90x Brian! You won't be disappointed if you follow the plan - workout and diet.

Week 7 of P90X right now. I got a dramatic increase in my pull up count and back strength. After 23 years, I can finally see my abs well enough to call a six pack ;) (especially in the morning) Most important, the cardio is supreme in this program. If you aren't in shape, it will at least do that for you.

Nice job wjr! Another success story w/ p90x. This thing is pretty amazing. It works if you put forth the effort.

Caveat – The links below are basically a detailed critique of P90X ---

I found it provides in depth information (for ‘shoppers’) and certain perspectives on the efficacy of the program and programs like it that all might benefit from… hth

begin to dig: Reflection/Critique of P90X review: Part 1 of 3 - muscle confusion confuses the issue

begin to dig: P90X Critique Part 2 0f 3 - WIll you really "get ripped"?

begin to dig: P90X Critique Part 3A, Alternatives: to P90X's Diet Plan (or any 12 week diet, really)

begin to dig: P90X Review/Critque Part 3b: Workout Alternatives and Why to Consider Them - or "Life is Short & we're complex"

fwiw - I remain with a net positive bias on P90X, but this bias is far overshadowed by my bias for CST (hardcore, with all three wings). With sounder foundational principles, CST is much healthier and safer in the long run, plus ultimately takes you a lot further in overall performance edge…

All the best,

zdo

Caveat – The links below are basically a detailed critique of P90X ---

I found it provides in depth information (for ‘shoppers’) and certain perspectives on the efficacy of the program and programs like it that all might benefit from… hth

begin to dig: Reflection/Critique of P90X review: Part 1 of 3 - muscle confusion confuses the issue

begin to dig: P90X Critique Part 2 0f 3 - WIll you really "get ripped"?

begin to dig: P90X Critique Part 3A, Alternatives: to P90X's Diet Plan (or any 12 week diet, really)

begin to dig: P90X Review/Critque Part 3b: Workout Alternatives and Why to Consider Them - or "Life is Short & we're complex"

fwiw - I remain with a net positive bias on P90X, but this bias is far overshadowed by my bias for CST (hardcore, with all three wings). With sounder foundational principles, CST is much healthier and safer in the long run, plus ultimately takes you a lot further in overall performance edge…

All the best,

zdo

Thanks for those links zdo!

What is CST? Is that the link you initially provided on this thread or something different?

is this the CST you are referring to?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMmmVMJyZFw]YouTube - Bodyweight Abs Exercise Best Kept Secret - CST Leg Swoop[/ame]