Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Like Tree1Likes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
zdo

Ignore this user

Re: An Untitled Rant About ‘Trading Psychology’

SUIYA,

That rant was not the end. This will (maybe) go ‘somewhere’ for‘someone’. Instead of switching over to ‘talking head Q&A interview’ style, I had planned to continue from the end of the ‘rant’ on to alternatives - with about the same quantity of material as in the first post. But I'm taking on two atypical commitments this spring, so it may take a while to find time to write it up in a way that will really benefit at least one ‘someone’ ...

…also, don’t be surprised if I jump to a new thread again… the ("creative", etc.) noise isn’t bad (or good or even far far off topic), but it is noise… and sometimes the best way to deal with it is to just pack up the gear and go play in a different joint… what a fkn prima donna… right?

Your 3 am insight is …

zdo
The Following User Says Thank You to zdo For This Useful Post:
SIUYA (04-04-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
zdo

Ignore this user

A mini rant...

( I think I've made some suggestions about this before...)

Mini rant... That
The Healthy Trader is a subforum of the
Trading Psychology forum is a perfect example of
how the paradigm of seeking
'cerebral cortex control downward' pervades and rules...
surrepticitiously the structure is set up to reinforce it...
and members will reactively step up to defend it...

With just these 3 Free reports you could be trading by day's end
Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Blocks_2 Champion, Gnome pinball Champion, Collapse Champion, SuperMario Rampage Champion, Arkadium Skeeball Champion, Bozzle Champion, JezzBall Champion, Galaga Space Invaders Champion, Jurassic Pinball Champion, Zulu Gems Champion, Marble Motion Champion, Colour Chain Game Champion, Eye Drops Champion, Blocks Champion, Pinboliada Champion, Block Champion, Bubble Elements Champion, Festival Pinball Champion, Pinball King Champion, Cold Fusion Champion, Mario Kart Extreme! Champion, Crazy PinBall Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion, Crystal Island Champion, HotRod Pinball Champion, Zuma Kowloon Champion, Skee Ball Champion, Bomb Jack Champion, Blocks 2 Champion, Pepsi Max Pinball Champion, Dynomite Champion

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsubishi »
I don't know how many of you are/were musicians or can/used to play an instrument but i used to be one.And i can tell the layman that improvisation is not the magical thing it appears to be to the audience from the point of view of it's construction.
Simply stated,improvisation is writing in the same way writing a song is writing.So in terms of using a different part of the brain..........no.
I would suggest that allowing your trading to be "more free flowing" has nothing to do with improvisation or using a different part of the brain.Free flowing trades can only be the result of (perceived) free flowing opportunities.
The musician isn't using a "switch" to improvise.
For trading,adaptation (to changing conditions) might be more applicable than improvisation.
True enough, but I wouldn't dismiss the thought so readily. One can see this time and again, when reading through posts... "we are our own worst enemy".

Now, I'm not a musician, so I must consider your opinion as valid (to a point), but it seems to me that improvisation is not like the act of writing. Both are expressive and creative ventures, but the former is more a free flow that comes from years of study and knowing (feeling) how music is structured... something that flows from the underlying music structure (speaking of jazz improvisation)... it always returns to the original theme. Writing is something that comes from past knowledge and inspiration, it is not expressly "in the moment"...no need to return to the original theme... one can stop and back up, and do it over.

So, possibly... if you will allow... a trading plan is like a tune, and the way in which it is executed is improvisation (in the moment), but it must return (conform)to the original theme.

Look... analogies to music or anything outside of trading is problematic. I just found it interesting that a musician is able to allow a different part of the brain to take control (or give up control) during a free flowing conversation.

Of use to trading... I'd say it's worth further consideration.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #12
Sky Blocks Champion

Ignore this user

Looking forward to further installments Zdo.....and no there is no prima donna in it compared to some threads.

Based on my 3am insight/interpretation - (which might have been more a different interpretation of what you are thinking rather than an insight) then i would think the idea of a healthy trader mind is a good sub thread......

As for tools (and really off topic ideas/analogies) - the rabid defense of the current tools (the 3 pillars, the 3 free reports, the 3 things that most traders are advised to do but simply dont) - maybe the defense is because the tools are not used, and are more an excuse to portray a self image....and the idea that you can be trading by the end of the day - even when new traders are reminded to read the rest of the instructions - this takes time, effort, thought. There are no templates.

Have you ever seen a rabidly defended tool (eg; a hammer, golf club, fishing rod) that sits in the shed unused apart from the occasional DIY, but it is defended like a long lost brother, yet left in the shed gathering dust......as opposed to really understanding and bonding with that hammer, sleeping with it and caressing it, and using that hammer for all manner of creative (just to tie that in) uses.

Looking forward to more rants.....and ideas of possible new tools and solutions.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Blocks_2 Champion, Gnome pinball Champion, Collapse Champion, SuperMario Rampage Champion, Arkadium Skeeball Champion, Bozzle Champion, JezzBall Champion, Galaga Space Invaders Champion, Jurassic Pinball Champion, Zulu Gems Champion, Marble Motion Champion, Colour Chain Game Champion, Eye Drops Champion, Blocks Champion, Pinboliada Champion, Block Champion, Bubble Elements Champion, Festival Pinball Champion, Pinball King Champion, Cold Fusion Champion, Mario Kart Extreme! Champion, Crazy PinBall Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion, Crystal Island Champion, HotRod Pinball Champion, Zuma Kowloon Champion, Skee Ball Champion, Bomb Jack Champion, Blocks 2 Champion, Pepsi Max Pinball Champion, Dynomite Champion

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUYA »
Looking forward to further installments Zdo.....and no there is no prima donna in it compared to some threads.

Looking forward to more rants.....and ideas of possible new tools and solutions.
Me too. I'll do my part to keep the "noise" to a low level. Interesting stuff to consider... please continue.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
zdo

Ignore this user

SUI, Before I go for the weekend… just wanted to let you know I haven’t forgotten about this topic
I’ve been very busy… and even if I weren’t busy, I don’t know how far past

Screen.vbHourglass
the next installment would be
… Although it will have utility for only a very limited few, I do want it to be of quality for them… (instead of more rant, etc… maybe I will have to rant - again - about what it isnt’ before I can get to ‘what it isz’… 'english' for outside accepted paradigms is difficult for me, etc.)

so when? don't know...
The Following User Says Thank You to zdo For This Useful Post:
jpennybags (04-12-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Sky Blocks Champion

Ignore this user

I thought this might be an interesting place to stick this....
This is an exert from an interview regards violence and athesism/relgion
(Dont get caught up in the religion debate - focus half way down when the question about Yanagi Ryuken comes up)
What Martial Arts Have to Do With Atheism - Graeme Wood - The Atlantic
Also covered here...
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/t...es-of-drowning

I found the part about delusions interesting and thought it could be well applied to trading.

(for those interested check out Yanagi Ryuken and the no touch knockout....as this is a bit off topic for this thread but got me thinking about it)

Basically - its amazing what we can beleive in when we want.

How then can this be positively applied to trading....or is this part of the problem tool box?
The Following User Says Thank You to SIUYA For This Useful Post:
jpennybags (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #16

Ignore this user

Still off topic...

This brings to mind the recent conviction of James McCormick. The "low life" made millions selling fake bomb detectors around the world. The bomb detectors were based on nothing more than a novelty golf ball finder... these things wouldn't find a golf ball either (a word to the gullible).

I found it interesting that among those who had used the worthless device, had actually devised scenarios for what would cause the device to fail... down to the operator's use of after shave lotion.
SIUYA likes this.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: