Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Like Tree13Likes
Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #17

Ignore this user

Thanked 6,142 Times in 1,653 Posts

Re: Performance and Focus

If one minimizes the times and places where focus is mostly likely to be needed, then it's easier to maintain focus at those times and in those places rather than squander the effort at those times and in those places where focus is least likely to be needed.

Though perhaps Neg had something else in mind.

Db
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DbPhoenix For This Useful Post:
SIUYA (09-19-2012), TheNegotiator (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #18
Sky Blocks Champion

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdo »
…seems we’re discussing two different subjects
1 OP started regarding ways to sustain ‘focus’ when it’s needed
and then it veered off onto
2 ways of minimizing need for ‘focusing’ /and duration of time(s) in 'focus'

To me, the two topics do not seem to be related sufficiently to discuss well in the one single topic
I would think they are directly related......
if you cannot focus for long periods of time (the sustaining part), then an obvious solution is to work out how to best focus attention when it is most needed, and switch off the rest.
If you cannot focus for even short periods of time, then you would either need a different strategy or career.
Solutions to maximise focus might be things such as - closed dark room, music, caffeine, planned day, exercises...etc, but thinking outside the box (of the original question) by asking why the need for intense focus for long periods of time, and hence actually becomes a solution in of itself is related.....unless of course you have a compulsion for more threads
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #19

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNegotiator »
How do you go about doing this then? Placing a high level of importance on meditation (or at the very least something where you can properly take your mind off everything) and physical exercise is what I find helps me personally.
If it is daytime I spend time in the front yard garden, if it is night time I just get some pop-corn and watch the tv series I like, if it is weekend I go the beaches or waterfalls around the province...these really help me to forget about things...
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #20

Ignore this user

Yup. Sometimes you have to find a way to make things work for you with the tools you have rather than trying to directly improve those tools. It's gotta be what works for you.

TheNegotiator.

Sovereign Debt Yield Spreads

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Day Trading the E-mini Futures
- Discussing and trading the E-minis every day!

Bigger Picture in E-minis Discussion
- Tryin' to see the wood for the trees ;)
Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
zdo

Ignore this user

Quote:
If one minimizes the times and places where focus is mostly likely to be needed, then it's easier to maintain focus at those times and in those places rather than squander the effort at those times and in those places where focus is least likely to be needed
Quote:
I would think they are directly related......
if you cannot focus for long periods of time (the sustaining part), then an obvious solution is to work out how to best focus attention when it is most needed, and switch off the rest.
If you cannot focus for even short periods of time, then you would either need a different strategy or career.
... but thinking outside the box (of the original question) by asking why the need for intense focus for long periods of time, and hence actually becomes a solution in of itself is related.....unless of course you have a compulsion for more threads
Of course they are directly related… especially at the level where each individual must find sustainable consistency for self.
But find ways to need focus less often will not resolve, or even improve, the need to able to focus as often as needed on demand. Was hoping we could take it a couple clicks deeper into developing staying power… instead of “a more polite ET” level of content…
DB, if you look back through your posts of last few months in ‘performance’ related topics, much of your content is about willingness to do the work. There are example posts right here in this thread (… and it’s all quality content, btw…).
Willingness to do the work (and commitment and determination, etc etc etc) are all definitely a part of it. But a big factor in declines in "willingness to do the work" (and commitment and determination, etc etc) may lie in how someone works with focus fatigue and develops resilience / rapid recovery!

Maybe it does involve a “compulsion for more threads” I know I’m talking to a very tiny niche - so tiny the site owner probably wishes no one would even add more threads about it. Vendors, etc. who ‘enroll’ commitment / offer a path to success, could far better describe than I the very small percentage of ‘traffic’, even repeat traffic, that stays with it and develops the necessary skills, experience, and strengths (high performance level focus, etc.) needed. So even though “they are directly related”, a couple of “work smarter” posts and we’re all done, may suffice for the middle 4 deviations.
But it doesn’t help at all – for those who are willing to work!
If he’s willing to work, you don’t tell a football corner to find ways to not cover so often. You want him keeping his “focus” high every dam play… all session long. You hope he's doing everything he can to train resilience in 'focus' and you do what you can to help.

…will rephrase and reiterate my initial post.

…seems we’re discussing two different aspects
1 OP started regarding ways to sustain ‘focus’ when it’s needed
and then it veered off onto
2 ways of minimizing need for ‘focusing’ /and duration of time(s) in 'focus'

To me, the two aspects do not seem to be related sufficiently to discuss well together in the one single topic

Anyone have some meat re 1 ? thx.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #22

Ignore this user

Thanked 6,142 Times in 1,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdo »
DB, if you look back through your posts of last few months in ‘performance’ related topics, much of your content is about willingness to do the work. There are example posts right here in this thread (… and it’s all quality content, btw…).
Willingness to do the work (and commitment and determination, etc etc etc) are all definitely a part of it. But a big factor in declines in "willingness to do the work" (and commitment and determination, etc etc) may lie in how someone works with focus fatigue and develops resilience / rapid recovery!
OTOH, concerning oneself with a "decline" in the aforesaid willingness presupposes a pre-existing willingness. IOW, if the beginner isn't even willing to step up to the plate, there's nothing to decline.

Show me somebody who is at least willing to begin*. Then we can start talking about focus and how to sustain it. Otherwise, it's just vendor-pundits talking to themselves.

Db

*I've got two so far. Not bad out of 78,000.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 AM   #23
Sky Blocks Champion

Ignore this user

Well l I guess then you have many more factors at play....
1...do you need to focus and concentrate all the time? - this is where the discussion veered to.....as discussions tend to do.

2...if you need to sustain focus over time - and if you cant then what are some techniques to help improve this.
2a....if you dont then how can you best swtich on an off the focus ---- this in itself can help maintain sufficient focus over time when needed.

3...how much does desire and motivation play in this respect, and if its not there in the first place, or it declines over time - then maybe this is the real issue, as opposed to maintaining focus......a factor many should consider if they wish to take a more holistic approach to any questions raised.

4...maybe its a simple 99% hard work 1% inspiration conundrum and some people are just prepared to put in the work.

It terms of suggestions of how to sustain focus...some simple suggestions that I am sure you can google anywhere....
stay healthy, exercise, eat well
do mental mind concentration exercises and practice
engage the subject and practice, practice practice.
train yourself to spend longer times building up the focus and concentration skills.
--- whoops same problem people might have in terms of real motivation and desire.

what about taking small breaks, naps
breaking up the time
having something to periodically distract you....might work
meditation
------ all defeat the purpose of sustained focus maybe.?

A lot of thinks boil down to the same thing - motivation and work ethic IMHO.
Alternatively if you have this - then maybe you still dont need to concentrate for sustained periods of time, and you can work smarter rather than harder......sustained focus on one thing might be what holds (the trader or the football player back - partially why I gave the golfing analogy)

they all boil down to willingness to work/change/improve etc.....if you assume that is already there, then maybe the focus should be on - will extra sustained focus improve my performance, or will i just spend a lot of time and effort for little improvement.

''''''''''''''''''
here was a handy hint i quickly googled
"Are there places and situations in your life where you may be bored, disinterested and alike? If you wish to become more focused, I recommend you try this exercise. Write down when your focus is off. Keep a record of the times you were able to sustain focus and times when you couldn't. You'll start to see a pattern. The pattern/s is situational. By isolating and becoming aware of the times you loose focus, you'll be better able to develop strategies for focusing. "

if you have not done this before asking a question - maybe that is the issue?

Trading is definitely a job of thought and not labour - you might get RSI from pushing the button, but it still takes a lot of what many would consider unproductive time - but thats part of it.....it sure beats 8 hours of focus and concentration in a truck, a coal mine or with other heavy machinery - where usually safety measures are in place for those slips in concentration.......maybe there is an answer ---- droopy eyelids, a stray mouse click to an unathorised website - --- focus alert, cattle prod and electric shock to chair......pavlovs dog solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to SIUYA For This Useful Post:
zdo (09-21-2012)
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #24

Ignore this user

I'm seeing and learning here guys..

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: